New to the forums.

PostPost by: Aggudabbu » Wed May 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi All,

Just registered and though I'd make a quick introduction of myself. The names Alex, 23yrs old from Sweden.
Haven't got a Elan YET but have desired one ever since I was a little kid... that and a Austin Healey 3000.. no luck there I guess.
Have got a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite though that I've been restoring the last three years so one should be happy about the little things, literally I suppose :)

Well buying a restored Lotus is out of the question for at least many years due to me still being in school, working partime and keeping up appearances.. and there don't seem to be to many elan projects just waiting for me to collect.

Anyhow I've know of a basked case S3 the last few years that had been sitting in pieces outside of a house near where I used to live a while back. I tried to get in contact with the owner several times with no success and frankly I forgot about the car. Recently it was advertised for sale because the owner had passed away, I was the first one there to look at the car and put in an offer and it felt like I had the deal in my grasp but in the end I was out bid. The thing is that this happened some weeks ago and I just can't seem to let it go and since that triggered my "lotus sense" so much I've now decided that I just have to buy an Elan convertible one way or the other! Finding a preferably LHD project car and importing it to Sweden seems like my best option, not to east though.. And I have no idea of what i should have to expect to pay for one.

But as I said funding is short, so maybe it'll stay a fantasy..but then again there's always that "if"
So wish me good luck and if anyone of you by any chance should know about or get to know about a car that maybe even I could afford please do let me know. :D

Cheers
Alex

(Ops, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, maybe a moderator could direct this thread to the correct category, thanks)
Aggudabbu
New-tral

PostPost by: AHM » Thu May 17, 2012 12:12 am

Hi Alex,

Welcome!

When I was 12 years old I calculated that if I saved all of my pocket money every week I could afford an elan when I was 30. I was inspired by my father, who not given to excitement about material things, expressed great excitement upon seeing a Lotus elan (if my Dad thinks something is good, it is pretty bloody special).

I remember the day well, I learnt what a lotus elan was, and that there was a colour called British Racing Green.

Why am I telling you this?... When my father was 23 he has a Sprite (he couldn't afford an elan). Today the BRG S3 that I have been restoring passed its MOT and I will be lending it to my Dad.

You will have great fun with the Sprite, but to be inspired you will need an elan. There was an era for great cars, and in that era there were great cars, but there were only 3 inspirational great cars - An early Mini, a Lotus elan, and the Aston Martin DB4 GT (not the Zagato).

It will be worth the wait!

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 am

Welcome to the forum Alex, and if anything is going to fuel your enthusiasm to get an old Lotus, these folks will !

I think everybody starts off with "other cars", I even had a 1963 Sprite, not as desirable as yours by a long way and it was in the days when people didn't restore such cars so it wasn't in what you'd call pristine condition. Well, you couldn't expect a lot for ?100, even back in those days. But it was open top motoring, taught me lots about driving and fixing old cars and in hindsight it paid for itself many times over.

Good luck with the search, keep an open mind on the model you're after and maybe consider a +2, they are equally good cars and back in the day they were the upmarket Lotus ?

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Aggudabbu » Sat May 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks guys and congrats to the MOT Simon!

Well I've considered a +2 but don't think I'd go through the trouble of importing one but if one should show up locally then it's a different story. There were one for sale a while back without engine for around 3 K's but I didn't have the money to spare at the time.. as always it seems :)
Aggudabbu
New-tral

PostPost by: simonknee » Sun May 20, 2012 8:21 am

Me? (car and my age)

Yugo(17)>MGBGT(24)>Elan+2(27)>ElanS3(30)

You'll get there Alex and the journey is great fun.
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 pm

An early Mini, a Lotus elan, and the Aston Martin DB4 GT (not the Zagato)

Dammit, I missed the Aston. :(

Art
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: