1964 Elan Restoration Project

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Yep Rod, put me down for one too if you ever decide to make some more. Beautiful work. I suspect the queue would stretch some distance!

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 65sunbeam » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Nice looking Lotus you have!
Last edited by 65sunbeam on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
65sunbeam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 am

Where in SC are you? That's as close an owner to me as I've seen on here. I won't believe there's another in Wilmington until I meet them!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:24 pm

Yes, I need to definitely get in touch with the owner of the one in Wilmington!!!! I need to park it beside mine so I can put mine back together correctly!

What is the state of yours now?

TODAY'S UPDATE:

1) I replaced one of the flats, so I have 4 good tires now.
2) Checked the weep holes below the suspension spindles on the front (couldn't locate them in the rear). Plenty of dirt came out of them, but I was pleased to not see rust! Score!
3) Removed the plugs and tried to move the car to determine if the engine is seized. Car didn't move. Since the clutch pedal won't move one millimeter I agree with the earlier post that mentioned something about the clutch being frozen. Hopefully that is the problem and not the engine. But, if its seized, its seized. Our next step will be engine removal so we can give it a good going over. I'll know then if it is free or not.

Here's a shot from today:
Attachments
Brad w Elan.jpg
Brad w Elan.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 am

I am in the Asheville area if you need any help. Have 40 years owning and maintaining mine.

Bob

1969 S4 SE
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:08 pm

One more shot from yesterday:
Attachments
iPhone Pictures small.jpg and
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 am

Hi Morgan, I'll be coming to Wilmington the last week in March. I'd love to see your car. Let me know if you've "found" any items you think may be missing.... I've got a few shelves full of oddball Elan stuff I can part with....
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Sounds good. I think I'm in town that weekend so working on the car will hopefully occur. The next two weekends are autocross weekends for me, so that's likely the next weekend to get any real work done. I doubt I'll come across anything missing by then.

I know I will be needing some badges, as most of mine are broken. Oh and a dash pad. Hahaha.

As we get closer shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number.
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 am

Hi Morgan,
Your car looked nice. The frame appears to be in excellent condition. Another original S1 "alive" and well.
Finding the engine number was fun too.
I'd try and get the engine running, if you can free up the clutch before hand all the better, rehab the hydraulics, back it out of the driveway and tool on down to the Cape Fear.

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm

It's been a while since my last update. Progress has been slow for various reasons, but I'm very happy to report real progress! The engine is out! See below! I think our next step will be removal of the remainder of the exhaust and the transmission/drive shaft. I'm not sure if we will attack the engine after that or the suspension/brakes.

Any suggestions of the best way to support the rear on jack stands? Right now I've got a 4x4 going across the backbone and have the stands placed wide on that. The problem is the wood is in the way of the exhaust...
Attachments
Engine Removal 001.jpg and
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 65 Lotus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:09 am

Once you get things sorted, you need to be aware that it's not good to let the rear wheels "dangle" like that as it puts a lot of stress on the rotoflex couplings. Look underneath now at the extreme flex you're putting on the rubber couplings.

I expect you'll be replacing them anyway, but after you do, always support the suspension under the shock towers or a-frames, don't let the suspension hang unloaded like that.
Scott In Ohio
26/3795
65 Lotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:38 am

Good to know for the future, and yes, replacements in the future. Leaning towards going w/CVs however.

So any suggestions for the rear jackstands?
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:03 am

Howdy Morgan, there are a few threads/subjects here on jacking an Elan and how to support the car.
The archives are alive.
Over the years I've used four by fours, and two by fours, and short notched four by sixes all in different configurations to hold up the rear body/suspension depending on the job at hand. Custom wood support.

I'd take your wheels off yesterday, less weight pulling your A arms down.

I'm a rotoflex guy, old fashioned and original, the Elans lose fluidity with CV's and gain? I dunno, hopefully the CV guys can let us know what is gained. If you think about the ENTIRE drive train I believe the rotoflexes enhance the Elan driving experience, even on my +2.

Good luck, throw the sunvisor in the ocean, lol, erc
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 pm

To support the rear I built a U shaped bracket out of plywood and 2x2 about 12" long. The edges of the frame rests on the 2x2 and there is clearance for the exhaust.

I'm new to CV joints. I just got tired of replacing rotoflex donuts.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:21 am

How far up in VA are you Dean? I'd really like to see another Elan even somewhat local. I hear there's one here in Wilmington, but I don't know how to get a hold of them.

I love the idea of of replacing my rotoflexes, but I'm not sure if I want to continue with that maintenance. My car is going to be 90% original or more, as it nearly a complete car now, but my goal is not only to keep the car as original as possible, but also to have a nice driver that is as reliable as possible (ha).

I'm certainly open to ideas.
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: