1964 Elan Restoration Project

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am

I won't re-post my long winded background, go here if you want to know my Elan history: Introduction Thread.

So essentially I've decided to tackle the restoration of a '64 that I believe to be an S1. I figure I started opening the can of worms this past Saturday when two friends and myself burned 3.5 hours working to start cleaning the shop and the car. If I cracked open the can on Saturday I probably tore the top the rest of the way off when I spent my first money on the car (a new/used tire for $15!).

I believe the car has not moved under its own power since 1983. My friend acquired the car in Late 1980/early 1981. From a photo I have it appears to have been freshly painted then. My guess is that he got it put back together and on the road by spring 1981 and drove/autocrossed it until sometime in 1983, which is the date of the last registration and also corresponds with his ex-wife's memory.

Just in case you didn't read my long winded intro (maybe since you decided to tackle this post instead) the car belonged to my friend that passed away last January. This is why I have some history, but not a lot. He always told me the carbs got gummed up. I can't imagine that's a reason to park a car for 30 years, but I suppose I'll find out what the reason was at some point in my new journey. My plan is to restore the car to good driver condition and to keep it as original as possible. I would likely paint it a different color, but his plan was to keep it original, so that's what I'll do.

I don't have a very strong mechanical knowledge of cars but I have friends that do. There is a great British Motor Club locally with lots of knowledge, but unfortunately no Lotus owners. When my friends and I hit our bumps in the road I'll be turning here, to you, for help and guidance. I'll be here often I expect.

The car has been stored on a concrete pad in a detached shop/garage since 1983. It was not covered, unless you count the wood, gas cans, leaves (the door didn't have the best seal) and other various mess and objects I found it under. The car is basically equivalent to a barn find. The good news is that I expect most everything to be complete. Upon a quick inspection the only glaring missing piece would be one hub cover. I'm sure there will be a few other pieces here and there that are missing and many that need replacing due to age and non-use. I found all the badges but most were broken, either when removed or over time. I wish I had more pictures of the exact condition when I found it half buried under crap, but I have some mediocre ones taken soon thereafter and some taken on Saturday (see below and in following posts). I'll also post a picture that I believe was taken the day my friend got the car.

I have read about other "complete" projects garnering comments like, "at least you have the hard to find parts." If someone can please clue me into what the hard to find parts are so that I can confirm I have them, I would appreciate it. A treasure hunt list would be great.

I will post the VIN the next chance I get. I do remember that it was sub-3900, so technically an S1, no? I think it may be a late S1 and could possibly be an S1/S2 if such a beast exists.

I figure my first of two goals will be to confirm that the engine is not seized. Our hopes are high since 1) upon removal of the radiator it was full of good looking anti-freeze; and, 2) when I checked the oil the level was completely full and didn't have the consistency of pudding. So, again, the hopes are certainly elevated. The second goal is to dismantle the rest of the interior so that we can remove the body from the chassis. It has been made clear to me that I need to inspect the steel backbone to determine its condition. I just hope my friends and I will know if its condition is roadworthy or not.

So, question number one (of many, many to come), should I remove the windshield? The seals around it all look to be pretty solid at this point.

Here's to the start of a long, but hopefully very fruitful project.

Maybe its time to mention this to my wife...
Attachments
Jim and Elan.JPG and
Jim and the Elan, Circa 1981
iPhone Pictures 001.jpg and
Interior filled with wood and other crap
iPhone Pictures 002.jpg and
Note the gas cans and the greasy spots under them!
iPhone Pictures 003.jpg and
Original Condition
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 am

And here's a few pictures from this past Saturday. This was the second time I have moved the car out of the shop. We spun it around in anticipation of engine removal. What's easier, removal of engine then body, or simply body first?
Attachments
iPhone Pictures 011.jpg and
iPhone Pictures 010.jpg and
iPhone Pictures 013.jpg and
iPhone Pictures 015.jpg and
iPhone Pictures 018.jpg and
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:51 am

Looks like an S1 to me! Black rim gauges, Split Dash. Great find! You better do this right, it's a great car. BTW - you don't necessarily have to remove the body from the frame to look at the frame. Two modifications from stock I think are well worth the trouble and cost is 1) replace the generator with an alternator kit, and 2) get rid of the rubber donuts in the rear suspension and replace them with a good CV (Constant Velocity) joint kit.

For starters, you may consider removing the engine. When you remove it, you can get a good look at the chassis and other parts. The clutch disc has a good chance of being rusted to the flywheel after sitting for so many years.

Famous Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:58 am

And a couple more....
Attachments
iPhone Pictures 002 small.jpg and
iPhone Pictures 005 small.jpg and
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 am

Famous Frank wrote:Looks like an S1 to me! Black rim gauges, Split Dash. Great find! You better do this right, it's a great car. BTW - you don't necessarily have to remove the body from the frame to look at the frame. Two modifications from stock I think are well worth the trouble and cost is 1) replace the generator with an alternator kit, and 2) get rid of the rubber donuts in the rear suspension and replace them with a good CV (Constant Velocity) joint kit.

For starters, you may consider removing the engine. When you remove it, you can get a good look at the chassis and other parts. The clutch disc has a good chance of being rusted to the flywheel after sitting for so many years.

Famous Frank

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming! The more advice the better! Seriously, I'll need all the advice I can get.
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 am

Morgan,
Take plenty of photos. Things like which hole in the firewall the various cables, tubes, wires, etc go through are easily forgotten. Don't throw anything away until you are possitive that you are finished with it, eg: carpets, underfelt. You will need these things as templates for replacement. Get yourself some books and manuals. Service Parts List, Workshop Manual, perhaps Brian Buckland's book The Rebuilding of a Lotus Elan. These and others will aid in the resurrection.
Good luck,
Colin '68 S4 DHC.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:01 am

I don't know your goals exactly but if I had that S1 the first thing I would do is get it cleaned up with detergent and water. and dry it thoroughly and then get some decent photos and repost. Yes a wonderful Elan that probably should not be taken apart UNTIL you know a bit more about it. Most of it can be assessed with the body on the frame and to tackle a frame off right now would probably not be the way to go in my opinion. Take a look at the chassis that I am working on at the moment. It was a New England Elan and exposed to salt and had plenty of crud accumulated in the front suspension towers.
elan-f14/sows-ear-chassis-t24752.html
There is a weep hole at the bottom of each turret that is there to let out water and other debris. take a small piece of stiff wire (coat hanger cut to length and find the "weep" hole and stick it it and wiggle it around and see what comes out. Use a screw driver and poke at the bottom of the front towers (see where the holes are in the topic that I linked) and see if they are solid. if they are then you are in luck. Being stored on a concrete pad in an enclosed building is a good thing. My guess is this is a body ON restoration and to do it any other way (from what you have said and what I see at this point) would not be the way to go. Take a look at the type 26 registry and spend some time there looking and do some (a lot) of reading.
http://www.type26register.com/spec_changes.html
and
http://www.type26register.com/lotus_news_archive.html
There are a few people that know the early Elans here and in the U.S. and maybe some one can come and see the Elan and help you asses it in person better than we can here on the forum. What I see looks very nice and an Elan that needs paint. The radi-ator does not look like the original but that is about it. You can disassemble an Elan in 2 days, It takes a solid year to get on back together so think about it for some time before you leap in the deep end.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:05 am

Welcome to the forum; this looks like the start of (long) and interesting project. :D
In addition to the advice already posted, buy some plastic storage boxes in various sizes (with lids), an indelible marker pen (for writing on the boxes), tie-on labels, a vacuum cleaner for the garage (in the interests of domestic peace and quiet). Buy all the books you can, as a minimum the Lotus workshop Manual and Brian Buckland's Addendum Workshop Manual. Brian is on this forum and I believe that he can ship to the US.
As Gary says- first job is a good clean-up and then you will know what you are looking at.

Good luck.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 am

and when they say "take decent photos", they mean it.
That means good lights to actually see something, dont depend on flash.
does exclude any phone, even if it is a mighty iphone....
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:27 am

Looks in a slightly better state than mine when I started, mines a 63.
Good advice from everyone as Ive found out, DONT throw anything away unless you know exactly what it is and that you dont need it and take good pictures before you start and whenever you are going to dismantle anything take the picture first. Of course this doesn't always help if it was wrong to start with like rather a lot of mine :cry: but there are lots of other peoples pictures on this forum that will help
Good luck
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm

rodlittle wrote:DONT throw anything away unless

Forget the unless!

I would follow Gary's advise for starters.

For me I would not fit CVs or an alternator. It looks to be a nice 'original' car. (yes, I know!) I also question the rad, though.

Another thing to check is the steel latice work behind the sill cards. Yours should be OK as it has been dry stored but worth a look, especially around the seat belt anchorages.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 pm

All great advice. Thank you.

The pictures I posted show the car as I found it. All the body dis-assembly was done by my friend years ago. One thing that has me worried is the dash pad. I understand nobody makes them. Mine looks good except for one horrible spot on driver's left.

I love the idea of NOT having to remove the body. I think we'll try to get it up on a lift so we can get a really good look at the chassis to determine its condition. We'll also get to removing the engine since it will definitely need a little work.

One interesting bit (I think). Check the photo below (no idea how old it is). Dark Gray bumpers???
Attachments
Left Rear.JPG and
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Morgan
You're right, no one makes crash pads for S1/2
However you can make your own heres the pics of mine, scroll down a bit and you will see what I did
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-photos-f18/restoration-0086-unit-3067-t21274.html
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:58 pm

I'd agree...I'm sure its an S1....even got the early concaved gear lever knob :P great project :D
Re: the gray bumbers.....maybe its silver that has faded?? or someone thought gray was close enough....or its gray primer....or..... :lol: :lol:
Edit: just saw the "clip on" sun visor......never seen that before
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Rod, I saw your thread on the dash pad. I'm so not even close to having the ability to replicate that. Feel free to make another and ship it my way! :lol: I'm hoping that the damaged portion is repairable. While my goal is to do as much as possible myself (with help from my friends of course), I may need to pay to have labor done on a few things like the dash, seats, door cards and top (to say the least).

I think the bumpers were simply painted gray at some point. Not a bad look, but I'm going to go toward original.
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: