UK Elan EOS 1G

PostPost by: green meanie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Wondered if anyone knew the whereabouts of this car or had any pictures of it. My physics teacher in Stranraer owned it and was trying to sell it for some time round about 1983. I couldn't afford it as I just left school that year! It disappeared soon afterwards. I think he told me 2 guys from Ayr had bought it. It's still taxed apparently and seems to be yellow. It was green at one point but I can't remember which came first! This guy was only the second owner as he bought it from a garage proprietor that originally built it in Stranraer. I'm just curious as I hankered after this car many years ago......

Colin
green meanie
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 pm

I think I came across this car in the late 80's, it was owned by a Scottish doctor who was studying in Manchester. It could be that my memory is playing tricks on me, but the registration rings a bell.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: monza29 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm

THis car exists, it's an Elan Sprint in yellow over white. I have passed a link to this forum to the owner!

Hopefully he will respond to you.
monza29
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Sorry, it is not a Sprint.

It was first registered 1 Mar 70, well before the Sprint was announced, let alone produced. It may be painted up and have been updated by a PO as a Sprint, but it did not leave Hethel as a Sprint.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ivor J » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Hello - We have the car at the moment and yes it was done up as a sprint when we bought it in 2003. I have a great wodge of history and some photo,s of it being resprayed Green, but have never really studied the history. The only bit of green paint I have found on the car is on a rear lamp gasket. Thus I sumise that it was possibly written off and rebuilt with its current Spyder chassis and yellow over white body. We have usedvthe car for social rallying on the continent taking us to most European countries and as far north as Norway. Car currently located in Kent. Regards.
Ivor J
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Ivor J wrote:Hello - We have the car at the moment and yes it was done up as a sprint when we bought it in 2003. I have a great wodge of history and some photo,s of it being resprayed Green, but have never really studied the history. The only bit of green paint I have found on the car is on a rear lamp gasket. Thus I sumise that it was possibly written off and rebuilt with its current Spyder chassis and yellow over white body. We have usedvthe car for social rallying on the continent taking us to most European countries and as far north as Norway. Car currently located in Kent. Regards.

By chance was the car owned by a Dr. Mark Bixxx from Leith in the mid to late 80's?
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: green meanie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 am

Many thanks Ivor j. It's nice to know it's still being looked after!
green meanie
New-tral

PostPost by: JohnMac » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:04 am

Am I missing something. Different chassis, different body, same car?
JohnMac
New-tral

PostPost by: af201 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:50 am

Hi all, I've come to this a couple of years too late unfortunately, hope someone looks at it again as I'd love to see my old car . Im the Scottish doctor mentioned above, though I was a medical mature student most of that time. I owned EOS1G from 83_90 or thereabouts and it was my only transport during those years. I bought it from a chap who bought and sold Elan's as a hobby and lived near Edinburgh. It had been off the road for several years when I bought it and was metallic green but had originally been yellow. It was never a sprint but I fitted a sprint head with sprint cams and dellortos with a spyder chassis ,wishbones and roll cage.also spyder driveshafts but an early version of them with hook joints that needed changing pretty frequently. When I was a house officer in Manchester the water pump went and I just didnt have the time or money to sort it, had no storage as I was living in the doctors mess and was forced to sell it to buy a hearing aid beige golf 1100. please do get in contact if you know any more about the car as I've got various spares including the chassis plate and loads of old photos and would love to chat, Mark Bigwood.try [email protected]
af201
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for getting in touch Mark. It may be worth your while contacting Andy Graham at the factory ([email protected]) with the VIN and reg numbers; he may be able to look out any enquiries he's had from it's current owner.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:21 am

Mazzini wrote:
By chance was the car owned by a Dr. Mark Bixxx from Leith in the mid to late 80's?

My 69S4 was was built by a Doctor in that area, who sent it to Mike Spence for BRM engine upgrade, then sold it, a couple of months later to the father of the chap I bought the car from. I was told that this Doctor liked building Elans and then sold them and did another one. Might just be a co-incidence. The DVLA have no record of this Doctor owning the car.

EOS 1G sounds vaguely familiar to me, perhaps I saw it round the streets of Manchester when it lived there?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:34 pm

af201 wrote:Hi all, I've come to this a couple of years too late unfortunately, hope someone looks at it again as I'd love to see my old car . Im the Scottish doctor mentioned above, though I was a medical mature student most of that time. I owned EOS1G from 83_90 or thereabouts and it was my only transport during those years. I bought it from a chap who bought and sold Elan's as a hobby and lived near Edinburgh. It had been off the road for several years when I bought it and was metallic green but had originally been yellow. It was never a sprint but I fitted a sprint head with sprint cams and dellortos with a spyder chassis ,wishbones and roll cage.also spyder driveshafts but an early version of them with hook joints that needed changing pretty frequently. When I was a house officer in Manchester the water pump went and I just didnt have the time or money to sort it, had no storage as I was living in the doctors mess and was forced to sell it to buy a hearing aid beige golf 1100. please do get in contact if you know any more about the car as I've got various spares including the chassis plate and loads of old photos and would love to chat, Mark Bigwood.try [email protected]" target="_blank

Mark! It's Rob! We last spoke about twenty-five years ago in Manchester, I was driving a yellow S3 dhc. I'll PM you. I ended us buying JSS 5B! Sorry on a business trip, more later.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: