Over-restored cars ?

PostPost by: mark t » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:24 pm

it's a car ,elan, whats not to like. it's a car.

mark t
mark t
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm

hatman wrote:
nebogipfel wrote:
My favourite was "The Day the Eath Caught Fire"

It was filmed up Ampstead way wasn't it? 8)

I 'avn't a clue me old Hat :wink:

I'm pretty sure some of it was around Fleet St, but with me not being a Londoner it could have been Ackney :roll:

Michael Caine had a tiny role as a Policeman in it. (proper copper, not like these modern ones .... you must remember, the ones we used to respect!)

Great Film. I must watch it again. :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 pm

My favourite!
blood_from_the_mummys_tomb.jpg and
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:29 pm

terryp wrote:My favourite!
blood_from_the_mummys_tomb.jpg

Aha the great Andrew Keir "Quatermass and the Pit" :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Cracked split and faded bodywork, rusted chassis', Split seats and door trims, crazed dashboards, black corroded wiring and knackered mechanical bits are just so desirable
to quote Nigbo again!!

I do agree - but there is a half way house of a superbly running, mechanically reliable, modified lightly to suit todays conditions, and largely original car - stone chips and all - that you can hurl around with gay abandon.

That is my view of the perfect Elan - especially with black bumpers................. 8)

David

Anarchy Elan

spot alps 01.jpg and
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:08 pm

bast0n wrote:........modified lightly to suit todays conditions, and largely original car.........

Shakey ground there old fruit :) How modified is acceptable in your view? and if your chassis rusts and you replace it, is that the head or the handle changed? ........Oh Dear really shakey! :) Before you know it the car's like mine, a worthless pile of restored rubbish :twisted: :lol:

It's likely that most of us have little idea which bits are original on our cars after 40 -50 years on the road.

PS I don't do anything with gay abandon :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Nebog

PS I don't do anything with gay abandon

That is so sad. :cry:

I agree with you - each to his own. My chassis is original and if/when it gives up it will be replaced with a Lotus one. Same with all the other bits and bobs. I just love the driving the hell out of it all over Europe and tinkering with the head/handle when I get home! Got a four post lift that helps a bit.

I have been to a concours event and I just did not get it. Picking bits of grass out of the tyre treads is not an occupation I have any sympatico with. :roll:

David

Anarchy S3
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 pm

bast0n wrote:I have been to a concours event and I just did not get it. Picking bits of grass out of the tyre treads is not an occupation I have any sympatico with. :roll:

David

Anarchy S3

On that, David, we are in total harmony :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:40 pm

bast0n wrote:but there is a half way house of a superbly running, mechanically reliable, modified lightly to suit todays conditions, and largely original car - stone chips and all - that you can hurl around with gay abandon.

That's our plan ......and with black bumpers!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:43 pm

terryp wrote:I found this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-LOTUS-EL ... 2a19891b17 and its quite similar to ours, well its white and its 1969 and its an S4.
Anyway after a look through the pictures I realised that I didn't like the car much and I didn't really know why - perhaps over restored?

Whilst writing what is the correct finish for the engine compartment and under the bonnet?

Terry
PS Its cold here -7C

Evening chaps,
This car was for sale for ?29,950 arround xmas, then it was reduced to ?27,950 & still didn't sell so they've upped it to near ?35K ?? I seem to remember the same seller had a D/H/C Sprint for sale not so long ago for arround the same money. Have you looked through the photo's on Flickr ? If you have, have you noticed that some of the pic's of it looking nice & finished are dated BEFORE some of the pic's of it undergoing restoration ? Yes, it does look a lovely car, but the wheels totaly spoil it to my eyes, only place a Minlite looks right is on a Mini. Pity they didn't fit the original steel's with hub caps, & I know they had the wheels, as my friend bought one from them & they had at least another set! But thats just my oppinion :)
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:50 pm

If the net effect of any restoration work results in...

"I know of two people that have had the Option 1 treatment on their cars and are now afraid to drive them"

...for example.

(Ref: post156726.html#p156726)

Then, in my book, that is what "over-restoration" means.

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Terry

That's our plan ......and with black bumpers!

What a man you are................. :D White front indicator lenses...........?

We must start a rebels club.

I could pop down to France for an inaugural dinner in September. Will yours be finished by then?

David

Anarchy S3
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:17 pm

bast0n wrote:
I could pop down to France for an inaugural dinner in September. Will yours be finished by then?

September 2013! I reckon I have 18 months work of 1/2 day per week average?
Not sure about the white lens yet but I have identified an ebay seller that has them for ?11 and I have the amber bulbs already!
Just trying to get my head round the federal lens colours and what I should have and what they should be doing?
Rebels club, I think we are all rebels in our own way!
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:31 pm

bast0n wrote:
there is a half way house of a superbly running, mechanically reliable, modified lightly to suit todays conditions, and largely original car - stone chips and all - that you can hurl around with gay abandon.

That is my view of the perfect Elan - especially with black bumpers

I'm so very nearly with you on this, David! The 'modified lightly to suit today's conditions' I would substitute for 'period modifications' (otherwise a Hayabusa would be snuck under the bonnet) and I'm there.

Well, the black bumpers can always be painted, and I do fully approve of different coloured bumpers.....Blaze Orange when fitted to a S3 BRM Elan. :D

But, those 'largely original' cars are extremely rare. Most have been re-painted at some time in the past 40 odd years, along with a new hood and new carpets. Most have had a new chassis, and an engine rebuild or three. And most will have had the suspension, steering and brakes restored, and probably several times.

If all that lot was done a while ago, then the car may have acquired another patina, and whilst it may be to an authentic factory condition, as per a 'new' complete restoration, it's no better than a fully restored car like the one currently for sale....it's just worth less, has a few faults, so maybe causes less angst for the owner. My S3 and S4 pair are just such cars, and whist neither have been painted for 35 years, they both have been re-painted since they left the factory.

I do think that the S4 for sale is potentially bloomin good value for money, when you consider that a full restoration from the Matty and Wikins stables are around ?50k, and you have to provide the car for that. The minilites and steering wheel do let the car down, but they are just minor negotiation points. Bolt-on steels with hub caps would look stunning on that car....but I've never heard of an S/E having them. Anything is possible in Lotus World of course!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:47 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Then, in my book, that is what "over-restoration" means.

Richard

....and where can I get a copy of this fine tome :?:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right, If I've got the gist of this thread..

1. It's OK to restore a car if you don't make a very good job of it.

2. There is some kind of arbitrary point in terms of percentage of the car beyond which you cannot go.

3. All beautifully restored cars should be scrapped and the owners flogged to within an inch of their lives.

4. Bugger originality, we should all have black bumpers.

Have I missed anything :?: :lol: :lol:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: