Help with finding this post

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi all,
haven't posted for a while - just been muddling along.

A while a go I was looking through posts concerning the 'flexible' inlet manifold arrangement with 'O' rings and Thackery washers etc I thought I had saved it but can't find it on my PC. I have searched the forum but cannot find the one I was looking for.

Amongst all the posts someone said they had replaced the original arrangement with a rigidly bolted on inlet from another manufacturer (some older Nissan, Mazda, Pinto etc) completely doing away with rings, washers and air leaks. There was no evidence of frothing in the Dellorto's and it was much better.
Any idea where that post is please ? Or indeed what the inlet manifold came from and if there were any adaptations required ?
Thanks very much
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Found this thread talking about Stromberg rigid mounts...see Alex's post (Yum Yum) half way down page 1. Was that the one you were thinking of?
elan-f15/stromberg-carbs-t19540.html
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks Roger but not that one I'm afraid.

I clearly remember it was a straight swap - remove the Elan inlet with 'O' rings and washers - then bolt the Dellorto's onto the replacement inlet and bolt the inlet to the head. No washers or 'O' rings, just gaskets and tight bolts. All the issues associated with the original arrangement dealt with in one go.
I just wish I could recall what vehicle the inlet came from - possibly one of the Honda range but really need to find the reply given (I think from the USA) to our poster who talking about problems with original inlets.

Keep trying everyone.
Thanks
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 pm

seaandmoor wrote: All the issues associated with the original arrangement dealt with in one go

What "issues" are you referring to? A solid mount will most likely introduce another set of more difficult ones to deal with.

seaandmoor wrote:Keep trying everyone.

Have been having a trawl but, sorry, no joy...apart from the opposite...

e.g. elan-plus-f13/carbs-meant-mounted-loose-t24019.html

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh well thank you for looking.
I've got to get the carbs off soon to replace the pump and thought whilst I was at it I would do away with the fiddly rings and Thackery springs/washers.
That was the point about this other inlet bolted up solid so there wasn't any movement - it showed an improvement and no issues whatsoever. Fit and forget.
Do wish I could it again. Will have a look at PM's.
Thanks again everyone.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:05 pm

I have always been deeply suspicious of the wobbly mounts and frothing thing. OK so the engine thrashes about, are we supposed to believe that a sloppy mounting in some way dampens out that movement? I'm inclined to believe that the carbs wobble about even more.

Discuss.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 pm

elansprint71 wrote:I have always been deeply suspicious of the wobbly mounts and frothing thing. OK so the engine thrashes about, are we supposed to believe that a sloppy mounting in some way dampens out that movement? I'm inclined to believe that the carbs wobble about even more.

Discuss.

I think it's the transmission of (resonant frequencies? natural harmonics? :? ) ermm high frequencies that cause the frothing problems, not low frequency wobbles...

(Please uptight your crabs and report back you're findings in dew coarse)

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:11 am

elansprint71 wrote:I have always been deeply suspicious of the wobbly mounts and frothing thing. OK so the engine thrashes about, are we supposed to believe that a sloppy mounting in some way dampens out that movement? I'm inclined to believe that the carbs wobble about even more.

Discuss.

How about starting with this.
I thought it was quite interesting at the time but no-one seemed to take much notice.

free-parking-f19/origin-the-thackeries-t24310.html

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 am

Hi

I think you'll find that the inlet system from a GTV series Alfa is what you're looking for. I fitted one of these to a friend's elan donkeys years ago but I can't remember if I had to alter it at all - now what day is it?

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: