UK Elan history

PostPost by: Vaughan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 am

I'm interested in tracking down history prior to my ownership of a few Elan's I've owned.

Series 3: 36/7050 and FHC yellow when I bought it Registered OLR6E, it was imported by an emigrating Englishman to Melbourne, Australia and bought by me in Oct 1986 in very tired state, I pulled both the front turrets off by hand when inspecting the car!

Series 4: 7002 0500 51G which was SE DHC Yellow with tow bar, I purchased from Martin Harris (UK) in June 1983 and fully restored later in 80's before bringing with me when I returned to Australia in 1990.

Hope someone knows of these cars
Cheers
V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 am

Vaughan wrote:I'm interested in tracking down history prior to my ownership of a few Elan's I've owned.

Series 3: 36/7050 and FHC yellow when I bought it Registered OLR6E, it was imported by an emigrating Englishman to Melbourne, Australia and bought by me in Oct 1986 in very tired state, I pulled both the front turrets off by hand when inspecting the car!

Series 4: 7002 0500 51G which was SE DHC Yellow with tow bar, I purchased from Martin Harris (UK) in June 1983 and fully restored later in 80's before bringing with me when I returned to Australia in 1990.

Hope someone knows of these cars
Cheers
V

This is the link you need to request detailed history from the DVLA in the UK: http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/forms/V888.ashx
I'm not sure how you get it sent to Oz, though.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 am

bcmc33 wrote:I'm not sure how you get it sent to Oz, though.

I hope you have better luck than I did. I filled out all the forms, included ID statements and the required funds. They returned it all, basically saying that since I am outside the UK they won't tell me anything. :(
Last edited by elancoupe on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 am

I wonder if they would accept it if you sent it all from a UK address, sort of:

Mr Randy Eagleberger
c/o 123 Hethel Drive
Londonshire

Just a thought. Maybe someone else on here knows, maybe Club Lotus could help or the FBHVC?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks All, I've been down the formal route previously with no result, was wondering if it had something to do with my convict ancestry!

I was hoping putting the UK registration plate out there may have prompted a response form someone who knew or previously owned one the cars...

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Type26_4777 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:25 am

Hi Folks .... I had the same response from DVLA. The problem is solved by asking DLVA to send their reply to an address in the UK. I asked for the previous keeper information for my S2 to be sent to my son in Essex. He then sent it on to me here in Melbourne. You still have to fill in the form V888 and send a cheque (I still a UK bank account). I found [email protected] very helpful once she received my form. For me the data didn't exist from before 1977. Before that registration data was kept (I believe) by County Councils. If you know the orginal UK registration then the last two of the group of 3 letters (eg BC of ABC123D) indicate in which county the car was first registered - see this website cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf. for a full explanation.

I hope this helps

Richard
Type26_4777
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 am

thanks Richard, I'll have another go via my sisters address, and an email with forms attached to the lady who assisted you.

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 am

Type26_4777 wrote:Hi Folks .... I had the same response from DVLA. The problem is solved by asking DLVA to send their reply to an address in the UK. I asked for the previous keeper information for my S2 to be sent to my son in Essex. He then sent it on to me here in Melbourne. You still have to fill in the form V888 and send a cheque (I still a UK bank account). I found [email protected] very helpful once she received my form. For me the data didn't exist from before 1977. Before that registration data was kept (I believe) by County Councils. If you know the orginal UK registration then the last two of the group of 3 letters (eg BC of ABC123D) indicate in which county the car was first registered - see this website cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf. for a full explanation.

I hope this helps

Richard

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, I have no relatives in the UK... unless someone here would like to become one. :)
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:28 am

Hi Mike, I'm guessing you have at Least 20 "relatives" here.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 am

I've tried this on a few cars since leaving for France. On the first failed attempt I tried all sorts of things , letters, UK addresses. EU Citizen type stuff.
Basically the rules are that the information will only be sent to the current or a former keeper who must be resident in the UK.
One way could be is to find one of the former keepers and then you can apply through them to obtain the complete history.
On my second car attempt I kept the car UK registered until I had all the info :wink:
That was the rules about 3 years ago!

Bon Courage

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 am

Ditto, a year ago I tried to get some history on 36/6858. The reply from DVLA was no chance, as I'm not the current registered owner in UK
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: