Lotus West Tech Manual on-line ????

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 am

holywood3645 wrote: (part quote)
There is a 'lotus Europa' site that I may able to post it on, so it may not be a lost effort.

Hi James,

If the manual you have is even remotely related to the Europa, then I'm sure that either the main reference site ( http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm ) or Joe's Lotus Europa forum would be a great home for it and I for one would be interested in the manual. A few Elan owners also have Europas and participate in both forums.

Moving off topic, I think Gary is right in his diagnosis and for whatever reason, Jeff is too busy at the moment to look after us. After reading the other thread where guys are trying to contact him it did make me think that we should have offered help when he asked for it. The snag is that due to the phrasing of Jeff's original post I interpreted that as hinting that we needed a "policeman" moderator to calm down any arguments on the forum and like all the others who responded, I quite like the open nature of what Jeff has created. And I think others had the same interpretation.

If Jeff had phrased it as "I need some help with this thing guys. How about some volunteers to administer and be responsible for the content in the individual sections ?" then I for one would have come forward as I'd be able to contribute a few hours per week on it. But as for moderating a forum, well, I just don't know enough about the people involved and would probably cause more problems than I solved.

The second, and somewhat cynical viewpoint that occurs to me is that anyone who actually wants or asks to be a moderator probably shouldn't be one.

back on topic - Come on James, post it on the Europa forum and a link here !

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 am

To put this in perspective, its a 280Mb file and 215 pages of text including some drawings. I have included the index that is pretty typical of the quality of the document. I don't think it would lend well to be OCR'd

James
Attachments
Lw index 3.jpg and
LW Index 2.jpg and
LW Index 1.jpg and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am

What about loading it into FTP site and posting the link to it from the forum?
V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am

I could give you an area on my website, you could then link to it from here...

Each article might be better as a single PDF file...

OK.... What I can offer to do is to convert each article to a PDF & create an index on this forum (which would look like your 3 scanned index pages) linking each article to it's PDF file....

Regards
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm

First of all thanks you all for your offers to work on this document and post on the various sites.

I have been talking to Jeff Cocking via e-mail about posting it on this site. (Yes, he is alive) Jeff is wary to posting the Lotus West Tech manual here. He is concerned because of possible copyright infringement.
Never fear, I can send a CD copy to anyone who would like a CD. Or, I can send via a Yousendit software program (it?s a 220 mb file) The Yousendit program cost me $149. However, you can download it for free (with limited use) from https://www.yousendit.com/

This is the part where I become a multi-millionaire??.
Just send me one million dollars (or $10, if you can afford the one million dollars) to my PayPal account [email protected] and that should cover CD postage and packaging in the US. Same price for softcopy download.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 pm

The Lotus West Technical Manual is now online at http://lionheartsolutions.com/lotus/LotusWest/

Thanks to James (holywood3645) for providing a hardcopy of the 1983 version of the Technical manual so I could add Missing/added/Revised articles.

Thanks also to some of the remaining Lotus West members for reviewing my work & giving their permission to publish the articles.

The Technical Manual lives on to help us maintain our old(er) Lotus' & remind us how information was shared prior to the Internet.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Thank you! I've already found a couple of interesting tidbits.
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: