It's arrived!

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 pm

1964 S1 wrote:I think someone may have been cutting a bit on your wheel wells to clear suspension and steering travel for those alloy wheels. The car should have lips on both front and rear cutouts.
Welcome aboard, Eric

I recognize those Cosmics, I have a set (not in as good condition) in my basement with 175/70x13's still mounted. Yes, with some wheel arch trimming, judicious bashing of the rear lower spring perches, and a bit of grinding on the rear outer wishbone bolts, they'll work in an S2. Steering travel was limited by the tire rubbing on the sway bar - remember, no fussy MOT testers in the US!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Hey S2Jay

I'm next door to you in Westminster and my Elan is running. PM me and perhaps we can meet up.

Herb
26/4618
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bilcoh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Interesting that my S2 originally landed in Manhattan Beach (now in Seattle, WA). Anyone ever done a map locating different series (or even models of Lotus) by geographic distribution? Did the factory ship a preponderance of S2's to the West Coast of the US?

Just curious,

Dave
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm diggin' on the Cosmics..............as for the flared one.......ahhhh....that is a tough call. It doesn't happen too come with a bunch of original parts does it? too bring it back?

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

Hi,

If by 'original parts' you mean fenders, then no unfortunately not. It is complete I'm told, but the body is what it is. When I was thinking about rebuilding it myself I was think about taking some molds from the other car and producing a de-flaring kit - something that could be spliced on to take it back to original, or mabe 26R, shape without having to remove the whole fender.

I'll be un-boxing all the parts, photographing them and trying to put the complete set of parts together as soon as I can. This car may be destined for ebay where it last had a high bid of $12,700 I believe. It'll free up some cash to put into the 64.

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:01 am

bilcoh wrote:Interesting that my S2 originally landed in Manhattan Beach (now in Seattle, WA). Anyone ever done a map locating different series (or even models of Lotus) by geographic distribution? Did the factory ship a preponderance of S2's to the West Coast of the US?

Just curious,

Dave

Dave,

Yes. Ecurie Shirlee (Manhattan Beach Imported Cars) Bob Challman was the sole US Importer/distributor for several years. Duchess Auto was the East Coast Importer/Distributor.

Bob was a unique individual, quite the curmudgeon in his later years. You could not test drive a car until you bought it! If he did not like you, he would not sell you a car! He ejected Dave Bean from his dealership when Dave was a young college graduate. At the '92 West Coast Lotus Meet, he gave after dinner remarks concluding with "You're all a bunch of lousy cheapskates!" He referred to me as "Drives bad, smells even worse!" after I drove him on a wine tasting tour in Sonoma and Napa Valleys. He was right.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Herb,

Thanks for the note. You have a PM.

Jay
26/5009
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Ecurie Shirlee (Manhattan Beach Imported Cars) Bob Challman was the sole US Importer/distributor for several years. Duchess Auto was the East Coast Importer/Distributor.

I had my first Elan ride at Duchess Auto. Fred Stevenson drove me around the back roads of Millerton in the first Elan Coupe to reach our shores. I was awe struck at the car's capabilities :shock: to say the least and bought my Elan at Tom O'Brien Sports Cars in NJ right after I graduated 6 months later. I immediately drove it to California and lived for a time in Manhattan Beach, so I got to know Bob Challman. Everything you ever heard about Bob is true. :twisted:

Bob was a unique individual, quite the curmudgeon in his later years. You could not test drive a car until you bought it! If he did not like you, he would not sell you a car! He ejected Dave Bean from his dealership when Dave was a young college graduate.

Dave wasn't the only one! I was on that list, also. :roll:

Herb
26/4618
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Ive been doing some poking around and am having no luck finding any numbers on the chassis etc. It's a bit oily down there and difficult to see anything much at all - especially as the engine is complete. Can anyone give me an idea where I should be looking? LHS or RHS (its a LHD car), on top of the chassis rail or on the side etc.

Thanks,

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 am

Ian, my S4 has a chassis number lociated; looking from the top at the oil pump on the chassis rail.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Congrats on a great old Elan! I see it has a hardtop in the background. Was part of the purchase also? More importantly, I love the Cosmic Alloy Wheels but yours are the first i've seen in years that still have the Center Caps. Try to find those!!!! Cosmics were fitted by the previous owner to my first Lotus I ever purchased. It was a used 72 Europa Twincam. .................and yes the center caps were missing even then!
Attachments
Franks72LotusEuropawithDonniePiper.JPG and
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:59 pm

Cosmic centre caps used to fall out the first time the brakes warmed the wheels. UK gutters were full of them back in the late 60s/early 70s! :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:36 am

Ha! Very funny, Pete. :lol:

Famous, I love that period pic of you (presumably) and the Europa. What year is the pic from?

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:40 am

Randy

Ha! Well it's my first Lotus but that is not me in the photo. That is still a friend of mine from Chicago named Donnie Piper. The 72 Europa was Metallic Blue with a black interior. It was my first Lotus. The pic was taken in front of my first apartment. Had the landlord painted the doors different colors it would have looked like a Motel 6! This was taken in 1974. I had just won the 1973 SCCA Solo II Nationals in a 73 VW Sport Bug. While racing the bug, I became friends with many of the Lotus Corps members in Chicago. Myself and a couple of the Lotus Corps members were always competing for FTD (Fastest Time of Day). Lotus Corps and many of its members are life long friends and I still see many of them today.

But back to the Lotus, ..... the previous owner (s) could really mess things up in two years. It had holes in the front trunk where 6"x9" speakers had resided. Of course they had to install the AM/FM 8 Track radio. The coolest mod was they split the exhaust so the it had two Hush Thrush Mufflers under the rear trunk tray and exited on either side of the rear license plate with 4" tips. it did sound great. It smoked and I ended up installing a brand new Ford short block. But it never handled right and it drove me crazy that my lap times were always slower than my old bug. On top of that I was always hitting pylons which I seldom did before. Then one day while at my girlfriend's house, it started to snow. I thought I had better get the Lotus put away. As I left her house and was the first person to drive down the street in the snow, I looked in the rear view mirror I saw four sets of tire tracks while going straight. The frame was bent and it was dog tracking badly. Results of previous accident damage.

It was the beginning of a life long love of Lotus cars!!!

Interestingly, I had met Don Piper when I was 13 and met my first girlfriend. She came to watch me fly my gas powered COX airplane. Donnie was dating her older sister and all four of us went to the drive in movies in his 56 Olds. Don has had many cars, and currently likes early Mustangs. We still see each other once or twice a year.

Famous
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:40 am

Thanks for that great story, Famous. Amazing what can happen to a car in just 2 years.

You've had quite a "car life", what with your racing experiences and Lotus ownership.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: