Looking for a decent profile picture of.....

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 pm

The front cover of thoroughbred and Classic Cars September 1976 has mono Lagoon blue Sprint FHC on it and a piece about the car inside. PGW238L, belong to anyone on here? Borrowed from Bell & Colville with 16k on the clock and used for a road test write up. I'm vaguely surprised that it was considered a classic at only 3 years old.

For magazine collectors this is a good issue- lots of Lotus content including an Elan/+2 buyers guide.

EDIT: I forgot to say that a mono Lagoon Blue car would be my first choice- none of that nancy-boy yellow over white nonsense. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 am

Greg Z, .......What are you going to do now? You are in a real quandry my friend. You even have the silver stripe.

James, great pics! If you have more, feel free to share. It is terrific! 150 ish HP. Should be a blast to drive. Greg Z has 150 hp. All I need is 151!!! Now a 5 speed trans with a 2:95 first gear and a 4:10 gear with limited slip should make it go as good as it looks. What will you use for wheels? Any pics of that Mercedes leather in those seats?
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:39 am

elansprint71 wrote:The front cover of thoroughbred and Classic Cars September 1976 has mono Lagoon blue Sprint FHC on it and a piece about the car inside. PGW238L, belong to anyone on here? Borrowed from Bell & Colville with 16k on the clock and used for a road test write up. I'm vaguely surprised that it was considered a classic at only 3 years old.

For magazine collectors this is a good issue- lots of Lotus content including an Elan/+2 buyers guide.

EDIT: I forgot to say that a mono Lagoon Blue car would be my first choice- none of that nancy-boy yellow over white nonsense. :wink:

It was the first Elan classic article Pete and I still have my copy of the magazine. Here's the cover.

Tim
Attachments
T&CC Sep 76.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 am

Aha. That's the one they've reused for the Brookland articles book, but cropped to remove the background (including the Esprit !)

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 pm

elansprint71 wrote:.......I'm vaguely surprised that it was considered a classic at only 3 years old.

I'm not in the least surprised :D Although at the time I assume it fell into the Thoroughbred part of the title.

Still got my copy somewhere, from back in the good old days when I was young, summers were hot and T&CC was the best magazine :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:33 pm

In '76 I was stoating around in a '68 S4SE, everyone just seemed to consider it an "old car", myself included, I suppose.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Ah! The long, hot summer of 76, when the grass turned brown and we were encouraged to take a bath with a friend and put a brick in the cistern to help save water.

Love is in the air, my dancing queen, so don't go breaking my heart man, it was a total Bohemian Rhapsody!

Bombing up the M3 to London on summer evenings, roof permanently down on the orange Sprint, flared jeans flapping. Driving from Minehead to Weston-super-Mare with the bird and overtaking a long stream of grockles on a hill on the A39.

We all seem to remember that summer!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:13 pm

trw99 wrote:Ah! The long, hot summer of 76, when the grass turned brown and we were encouraged to take a bath with a friend and put a brick in the cistern to help save water.

Love is in the air, my dancing queen, so don't go breaking my heart man, it was a total Bohemian Rhapsody!

Bombing up the M3 to London on summer evenings, roof permanently down on the orange Sprint, flared jeans flapping. Driving from Minehead to Weston-super-Mare with the bird and overtaking a long stream of grockles on a hill on the A39.

We all seem to remember that summer!

Tim

Wow, that description ticks nearly all of the boxes, take me back there please!
My first Summer in the Munich Bier Gardens & with the woman of my dreams.
Oh, & didn't we hate to like AbbA, they were sooooo out.
How wrong we were :oops:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:13 pm

My Elan was fitted with the Bachman-Turner overdrive unit, b. b. b. b. Baby.... 8)
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Richard,

this may get lost in the drift but .... - I believe this is very close to what i recall lagoon blue looking like.

George
Attachments
international-blue2.JPG and
international-blue1.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: