Looking for a decent profile picture of.....

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:51 pm

a Monotone Blue Sprint DHC. I'm pondering a colour change & trying to imagine an all-over Lagoon Blue colour with Black Wheels & Gold Bumpers.

There's a picture (Plan view) of an FHC on the cover of the Brookland press Road Tests collections, but I've never seen a pic of a DHC from any other angle.

I don't have any decent imaging software to model it so I thought that someone may have a picture from a show, etc.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Are these of any use?

Cheers
John
Attachments
S4 Hood TTR Rollover Bar7.jpg and
S4 Hood TTR Rollover Bar6.jpg and
S4 Hood TTR Rollover Bar5.jpg and
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Richard

Not sure if these are helpful or not.

Tim

PS John - Richard quite clearly needs a Lagoon Sprint, none of your teapot blue S4s! :lol:
Attachments
Late FHC.jpg and
Sorry, FHC I know
Lagoon Mono 1.jpg and
Lagoon Mono 3.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 pm

The top photo looks to be Royal Blue.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:27 pm

You bloomin' pedants should be curled up in bed by :lol: now
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:07 am

I know this is 2 tone, but I love the blue.
James
Attachments
ELAN1.jpg and
Last edited by holywood3645 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:26 am

holywood3645 wrote:I know this is 2 tone, but I love the blue.
James

Well I don't "see" it but maybe it's because I'm colourblind :wink:

Ooops, the photo didn't appear when I first read your posting, sorry

But joking aside, you're off topic really, just check out the original question:-
"Looking for a decent profile picture of a monotone Sprint"

Tim,
A rhetorical question:-
Are there visual differences between a monotone sprint & an S4; that is forgetting the sprint badges :wink:

Cheers
John
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 am

Richard, Look at Mopho's picture spread out through the Gallery. Here is one elan-photos-f18/polka-dots-t12868.html
Here is another one. elan-photos-f18/night-time-elan-t13734.html
I believe he has sold it. Not sure of the color.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:32 am

Richard is quite clear, he seeks a profile photo of a period correct Lagoon Blue Metalic mono coloured DHC Sprint. It would have come from the factory with the gold sidewinder decals, gold bumpers and black wheels. Many new owners asked for the side decals to be removed.

Richard, 'fraid that mono blue was not an especially popular colour choice for the Sprint so there are/were not many original examples around. Most Lotus press photos were either black and white or, when colour, usually showed the yellow over white FHC variant. In fact, I have never seen any Lotus press photos of mono coloured Sprints.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 am

I`ve turned up one but the print is so faded that it doesn`t do this most tasteful colour justice, and, yes Pete, I know it`s not exactly a profile. I think most aesthetes who chose monotone didn`t want the sprint stripes, happy to own and drive such a brilliant car without the need to advertise.
I remember a Brock cartoon of a bloke getting out of his Cortina with GT GLX Auto etc. script on the boot lid. On the back of his suit jacket was the name of the tailor, his chest size and inside leg measurement and so on. How times have changed, nowadays it`s commonplace for clothing to have the maker`s name emblazoned. Fashion victims?
Jim
Attachments
lagoon.jpg and
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:39 pm

James, what shade/color/name is that blue you show? I really like it. Is it your car?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hitus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Here you are Richard, newly resprayed at SMS, back to its original colour. You will just have to imagine the chrome wheel embelishers, lights, number plate etc as they are all in boxes at the moment. This may be the only sprint with the chrome side strips but apparently they have been on since new!

Neil
Attachments
DSC00151.JPG and
DSC00150.JPG and
DSC00149.JPG and
Hitus
New-tral

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 am

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all of you who have replied. it just shows how brilliant this forum is.

And Neil, your final contributions have helped me make my mind up........(You'll have to wait & see :lol: )

Thanks to all
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:47 pm

James, what color blue are you using in the blue over white picture? The Sprint color scheme but with silver bumpers. It looks stunning!!!
Famous Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks Frank! It has been a long road to get it to that stage. They are both Mercedes colors I have attached a picture with the paint codes included. The blue is from the Mercedes Sprint(er) van and looks darker in the paint code picture but is is the same. I wanted it to almost look black on a cloudy day or in the evening, but have a dark blue appearance in sunlight. I also added another shot you may like.

I have had 'ELAN SPRINT' stripes also made in the silver that are not fitted yet. A small section of the strip is on the paint code picture. The car is a 1969 S4 SE dhc with 1700cc QED spec motor (head by Tony Ingram) Before I get jumped all over because it not a 'Proper Sprint' It is my vision of a 'SE' Sprint would have been. 150bhp (ish... hopefully), Burl walnut dash, Seats and interior reupholstered using Mercedes leather (this was the closest I could find to the orginal texture of the center seat sections) and a hide away radio.

Thanks for your interest. It should be on the road by spring (fingers crossed)
James
Attachments
spaceship 2.JPG and
photo (8).JPG and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: