All Elan Race at Goodwood in 2012?

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:15 pm

To meet with Goodwood's rules, wouldn't they all need to be pre-66 FIA Appendix K?

For comparison, there were 29 e-types in the race this year.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Paddy
You're right. The 70's roadsports would not be allowed but most of the Historic Roadsports cars qualify.

Brain fade on my part!!

Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:02 am

HSCC Historic Roadsports Elans usually have larger valves as allowed by the regs but must run original size carbs wheras FIA spec is standard size valves with larger carbs allowed

I have heard in the past of the Goodwood organisers not inviting competitors who actually request to race at her meeting. Always appears to me to be a closed shop for Masters competitors.

Regards
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 am

I would have thought there was far more chance of celebrating 50 years with a race for Elans at the Silverstone Classic than at the Goodwood Revival.
As Batfish says, you don't ask to compete at Goodwood you wait to be invited. With 50 years of the MGB and Ferrari GTO next year they are probably considering displays or parades for those cars before the Elan.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Wouldn't Goodwood be a dull if (and empty) the Scrutineers rejected all cars which were making more than 10bhp more than they did when they were new. :twisted:

I think the Silverstone idea might hold more water, Goodwood is more of a show for J.Public these days, rather than a historic race meeting for historic race fans.

Might be worth bending the ear of MSV, re an Elan race at the Gold Cup too.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 pm

We have approached Silverstone about having a big 50th bash at the Classic. Our feeling is that it is central, usually good weather, there's something for everybody there and we can show off our cars to other classic enthusiasts. Hopefully that will be sufficient to pull in a lot of Elan owners who might otherwise not attend.

Paul Matty is also arranging a Shelsley Walsh Elan 50th event as part of their Big day in August, which should be marvellous too.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Ive now had a reply from the man my friend contacted at Goodwood.
He says they are aware of the Elan 50th anniversary and are considering what to do about it at the moment, they have not decided whether it will be a race as for the e types or maybe a parade lap,
anyway his suggestion is that everyone with a 26r or any other elan for that matter that wants to take part should write to them at

Competitions dept
GRRC
Goodwood Motor Circuit
Chichester
PO18 0PH

Saying something along the lines of: If you have a special event to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Elan at next years Revival I would very much like to take part

rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:11 pm

I've been wondering about the choice of Goodwood.

So far it does sound a bit discouraging with the majority of our Elans not being old enough to be acceptable at "that event".

I would have thought that the Silverstone historic event would be the best Showplace for an Elan anniversary, as other Lotus anniversaries have been so successfully celebrated there.
Snetterton also hosted a big Lotus celebration recently & a few years ago Brands Hatch did a great Lotus 50th.

Maybe Goodwood represents the mountain that has to be conquered but I fear that the effort needed may not get it just reward.

Needless to mention that I'm not that enamoured with the Goodwood idea.

S'pose that's where the GrUmPy bit kicks in
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:28 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:I've been wondering about the choice of Goodwood.

So far it does sound a bit discouraging with the majority of our Elans not being old enough to be acceptable at "that event".

I would have thought that the Silverstone historic event would be the best Showplace for an Elan anniversary, as other Lotus anniversaries have been so successfully celebrated there.
Snetterton also hosted a big Lotus celebration recently & a few years ago Brands Hatch did a great Lotus 50th.

Maybe Goodwood represents the mountain that has to be conquered but I fear that the effort needed may not get it just reward.

Needless to mention that I'm not that enamoured with the Goodwood idea.

S'pose that's where the GrUmPy bit kicks in
John

John, Please don't even think about Snetterton unless you intend to arrive by helipcopter :shock:

It's just that The Revival is such an iconic period motoring event.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 pm

I was really thinking about Silverstone as it is in, let's say, a central location as opposed to Goodwood & it does cater more for the "proletariat" at its Historic festival.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Someone on Pistonheads is thinking along similar lines:

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.as ... tions+2012

I don't fancy their chances of geting a grid of 30 GTOs so we can probably count that one out at least :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Just received this:

HRDC ANNOUNCES "MGB50"

The Historic Racing Drivers Club will present a package of races in 2012 to celebrate 50-years of the MGB as a competition car.

After an approach by Barry Sidery-Smith - the acknowledged 'Godfather' of MGB racing in the UK - the HRDC will host a collective of 30-minute, single-driver races for FIA-Appendix K-type historic MGB cars, with an invitation class for historically interesting MGB-derived race cars, such as the WSM MGB and the Jacques Coune-built MGB Berlinette.

HRDC founder and race director, Julius Thurgood, was upbeat about this new project: "I was thrilled to be asked to help stage these events by Barry. 'Sideways' got me into racing in the first place and made sure that I bought the right car to start with - the ex-Neville Marriner Prodsport MGB, which I ran successfully in the first Willhire 24-Hours some 30-odd years ago. Like so many would-be competitors that Barry has helped and mentored over the years, Barry took me under his wing and introduced me to circuits such as Spa, Nurburgring, Zandvoort and Chimay.

"From a personal point of view - like so many other competitors racing today - I owe Barry a great debt of gratitude for that great start in motorsport. Helping Barry to properly celebrate 50 years of the MGB in racing is a fabulous way to say 'Thank You' to a man whose generosity of spirit has helped so many enjoy this great sport".

The inaugural race for the HRDC "MGB50" will take place at Castle Combe on 9 April 2012, at the HRDC 'Historica' race day in association with the Castle Combe Racing Club.

Barry Sidery-Smith - who started racing MGBs at an International level in 1965 - will, of course, be entered in his famous ex-works Le Mans MGB 'DRX255C', which will be supported by many of the ex-works and works-associated MGB racers.

Applications to race in HRDC "MGB50" can be made via the HRDC website at www.hrdc.eu.

Competition and media enquiries to:

JULIUS THURGOOD

Email: [email protected]

Mobile: 07850 361159

[Press release distributed by CDWrite on behalf of the Historic Racing Drivers Club. To unsubscribe from all CDWrite email lists, please reply with "STOP" as the subject line]

/e&oe/ends/
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Thats them sorted then. Now its down to us
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RIB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:40 pm

I fully support the idea of an all Elan race, preferably at Goodwood or Castle Combe not Silverstone. However I am not sure that it should be next year. The e-type first raced in 1961 and I see that the MGB races are to celebrate 50 years of the MGB in competition.

As far as I am aware the first Elan to race was Graham Warner?s LOV1 in May 1963. AC Cobra?s will be celebrating 50 years in 2012 as they first raced in 1962 as well as the GTOs and MGBs. I expect that there will be a better chance of all Elan races in 2013.

What other great cars first raced in 1963, apart from the Lola Mk6? Only 3 built so no all Lola race.

Ian
RIB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 pm

So it looks like it's going to be the Cobras:

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.as ... Cobra+race

:(

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear