All Elan Race at Goodwood in 2012?

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi All
I think all Elan racers and fans should start to lobby the organisers of the Goodwood revival so that they organise an all Elan race to celebrate the 50th anniversary just as they did this year with the E Type.

Several 26R's raced in the TT in period even though they seem not to be welcome now as it would no doubt affect the claim of 100 million pound grid!!

And the sight of a 1600cc Elan mixing it with the Cobras might upset them too much.
A few years ago when Martin Stretton raced the IWR Elan his best lap time was only .2 sec slower than the fastest Lightweight E type.

Perhaps we should bombard them with emails!!
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I remember them racing in the 60s at goodwood and they certainly kept up well then
at least when jim clarke was driving he also did quite well with the lotus cortina in amongst the jags
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:22 pm

I think we should definitely lobby them to do this if we can.

Does anyone have any contacts inside the organisation?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonsered 11 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:42 pm

:roll: i quite agree dave!..an elan race would be a good way of celebrating its anniversary! however to see an elan beating the jags and cobras etc in the other race would be even better.....dont you think?
jonsered 11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:22 am

The St Mary's Trophy was an all Mini race in 2009 for the Mini's 50th birthday, and Fordwater Trophy this year was dedicated to the E-Type (50th birthday again) so it may be possible to have an all-Elan race for the Elan's 50th birthday - there clearly is a precedent.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:10 am

Sounds great but can we get enough racing elans together, I didnt see one there this year
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Rod

They don't get invited!

I've spoken to several owners of Elans both 26R and GTS cars over the past few days and all would like to take part so we must see if we can bring pressure to bear.

Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Excellent idea Dave; I'm busy pulling levers in France and California at the moment and, hopefully, something will materialise. What would help would be letters saying "I hear that xxxx Classic will be making a big deal of the Elan 50 celebrations, can you confirm that you are planning something similar?"

Time to bombard the magazine letters pages, I think.

It is up to us to blow our own trumpets; only takes a couple of minutes to fire off an e-mail. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 am

Dave

I think this is a splendid idea. If you are happy for me to do so, I could approach Goodwood under our Club Lotus Elan Section to attempt to lend weight to your idea. In that way Goodwood may feel easier about dealing with an entity that represents many Elan owners and enthusiasts, rather than dealing with a single individual.

Let me know what you think. I'll get onto it straight away if you would like me to.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Pete, Tim

Go for it. I think the more we lobby the better the chances of success.

I spoke to Jon Fletcher yesterday who is friends with Whizzo Williams who was racing a Galaxie at Goodwood this year. He is going to get Whizzo to have a word.

I also rang Shaun Walker who is going to speak to Clive Chapman to get the backing of the factory.

All the guys who do the Tour Auto should also be contacted. I'll speak to John Sheldons guy and perhaps Christian could contact some of the Elan owners in Europe.

I'll speak to Dave Bean on Monday for him to contact the US contingent.

I think its possible to put together a really competitive grid.
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 pm

I wonder if they will allow all 184 current 26/Rs to start at the same time? :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:41 am

Now now Pete you'll start Ed off!!

I've had a reply from Goodwood see below

Hi Dave, Thanks very much for your email and to be honest, this is something for our competitions department so I will forward on to them for their discussion. I know that they are already looking at anniversaries next year so we?ll see how it shapes up but I?m not sure at the moment what they are considering, as it?s early days yet. If there is any possibility of a Lotus Elan 50th anniversary race, then I?m sure they will be in touch with you. Best wishes, Janet.

I've also spoken to Dave Bean who will put something on his website and the factory are keen to help in any way they can.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress

Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 am

Ive also put in my 2 penorth, I have friend who used to race jags etc in the 60s and he will ask his contacts in goodwood if there is any consideration being given to an elan anniversary
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 am

As the Club Lotus Elan Section I too have now contacted Goodwood to suggest that the 2012 Fordwater Trophy be run for Elans. I have asked for an indication of their interest in principle and offered to work with them in organising an Elan presence at the Revival.

If they come back with interest, then I shall also get in touch with the factory as they too should be in support of such an event. It would also behove many of us to turn up in our Elans, sports jackets and flat caps to support the race, the Elan and the event, so pencil in the dates for next year, 14-16 September.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Tim

To date I have been in contact with 10 owners of 26R's all of whom would be prepared to attend as well as several owners of GTS cars who are also interested

With the HSCC historic roadsports and 70 Roadsports guys as well as some of the Tour Auto guys, I think a grid of around 30 to 40 could well be assembled.

Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: