30 year old Nos

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 am

The topic of engine mounts of late had me wondering about this.

If you bought an Elan or Plus2 with some nos rubber parts in the boot, would you use them? I wondered the same question. Whats to go wrong?
I looked at some donuts and an engine mount the other day and I guess it has changed my mind. The engine mount was bolted in and failed as the weight of the engine bore its weight upon it. I guess I would be hesitant to use the donuts now that I seen the mount.
Attachments
bad enging mount.jpg and
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

Gary,

Thanks. A clear indication of shelf life...forewarned is forearmed! (aka live & burn, share & learn?)

Although it appears to be adhesive failure rather than the rubber, as such...

I, too, would treat NOS rotoflexes with suspicion.

Hope AHM reads this ref: elan-f15/quality-rubber-parts-t23668.html
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:10 pm

I was always taught (and confirmed by various rubber companies) that rubber has a three year service life from new.
After this time it starts to deteriorate. It can still do its job but with reduced performance etc
In industry I used to be looking to change high pressure rubber hoses every 5 years.
If stored on a shelf in a nice dark, cool room ,rubber might appear to have survived much better. But being a natural product it is still slowly "rotting away".
I have a lovely example of an old rubber coolant hose that has never been used. Part of it has gone soft and part of it has gone brittle. The price tag says "90p"
Make sure you check your brake hoses, engine mounts and rotoflexs regularly.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:17 pm

cliveyboy wrote: <snip> In industry I used to be looking to change high pressure rubber hoses every 5 years...Make sure you check your brake hoses, engine mounts and rotoflexs regularly.Clive

...and presumably, for those that have them, oil cooler hoses.
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm changing the tyres on my +2 next spring, not because they are in any way worn out but because they are now 5 years old and way past their best in the grip department.

I cringe when I read about people using 20+ year old tyres, not only could it be dangerous but the car won't have anywhere near the level of grip that it should have.

It's good to keep some of the old stuff for checking the pattern against new replacement stuff though.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm

You do surprise me Alan.
5 years seems rather short especially if the car, like yours is being used regularly even though not covering massive mileage.
Have the tires noticeably dropped off in performance or is it maybe because are you pushing your car harder nowadays? :wink:

I'll put some fresh rubber on mine before it goes back on the road.
A shame really because the tyres (Continental) "look" great but are 10 years old.

I must look up that thread (if I can find it) where a kind member told me what 175/60 x14 Yokohama's to go for.
Gonna' get me some nice sticky ones & let 'em wear for the limited mileage I plan to do :lol:

Back on topic; I think that the storage conditions have a big effect on how long rubber will keep.
Cool, dry & dark conditions are supposed to be good.
Do you remember when rubber was always dusted with french chalk in the days when there were no plastic bags or shrink wrapping.
Of course that was "the good old rubber" not today's supposed rubbish. :roll:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Tyres have a production date moulded into the side wall so it?s simple to determine their age and replace them after the recommended number of years if you wish. But what of all the other rubber components ? Whilst you may know how long you have had the item on the shelf you have no way of knowing how long it was in stock at the supplier before you bought it. However reputable they are I doubt they would throw away any stock based solely on it's age. So if the item looks serviceable how do you decide whether to use it or throw it away? Perhaps all perishable rubber items (steady now) should come with "production" and "use by" dates moulded in or would that be impractical ?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm just re-commisioning my S3 which has been off the road for a few years, although kept up and running. I rebuilt the car in 1979 with a new chassis (twice!) and all new rubber bits, and those are still on the car. I've just gone through the mountings and the rotoflex couplings, and they are absolutely fine. They are at least 32 years old.....I can't believe it either! The suspension bushes look like new.

I'll be double checking the rotoflexes for sure, and all the hydraulic rubbers will be changed as a matter of course, along with the tyres.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Speaking of old rubber, I have the spare tire from a 1964 Sabra GT that I am restoring. The tire is the original Pirelli Cintura spare, which is in remarkable condition. Being stored in the boot for all these years, I don't think it ever saw direct sunlight until I removed it when I started the restoration. The tire still has the molding sprue's on the tread, and the rubber is still soft and pliable, no cracking or drying visible. Although I am keeping it as a spare, I think if I ever had to use it, I would never drive over 15mph to a place where I could get the road tire repaired. When I pulled it out, it still have some air pressure, so I put a gauge on it and the pressure measured 20 lbs. Amazing. Not sure when air was added last, but I know the car was placed on jack stands in 1976 or 1977 in a closed garage, with the boot cover in place. I collected the car in 2008. I put the tire in my storage area beneath the house, where it didn't see direct sunlight until I rolled it out to put back in the boot. When I showed the tire to a friend who is a "tire expert", who testifies in court on cases relating to tire failures, he could not begin to tell me when he thought the tire was manufactured. When I told him the age of the tire, he was amazed at its condition, although he said don't use it.

Off to the vintage races in Coronado in the Elan.

Rob Walker
26-4889
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:40 pm

This may be an explanation for the birth rate increase ..check the date on those letters lads.....ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm

twincamman wrote:This may be an explanation for the birth rate increase ..check the date on those letters lads.....ed

Well I wasn't going to mention that, but my Dad had some of those in a drawer in my parents bedroom & they were protected only with something like french chalk (french letters????)
& packed in a simple paper wrap.
I think he would have used them but Mum declined any form of advances from him, "protected" or not, oh those were the days; don't ya just love "Victorian" standards.

Well I was just going to find my coat, Taxi! :roll:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 pm

[quote="GrUmPyBoDgEr] I think he would have used them but Mum declined any form of advances from him, "protected" or not, [/quote]

Well John, she clearly didn't on one occasion!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:59 pm

trw99 wrote:[quote="GrUmPyBoDgEr] I think he would have used them but Mum declined any form of advances from him, "protected" or not, [/quote]

Well John, she clearly didn't on one occasion!

Tim[/quote]

Must've been rape :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I used them to keep my distributor dry ..ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:13 pm

John,

Is this the first time you've appeared in the title of a thread? Infamy, Infamy :wink:

Q. Why doesn't an OP title, once modified, get cascaded down to all subsequent responses?

(P.S. "I used them to keep my distributor dry ..ed" Tip: ED, use a rubber glove instead...they usually have 5 "fingers"...just cut the tips off 'em! )
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: