S2 Elan after 5 years -almost- on the road...

PostPost by: ripley » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi all, after 5 years of searching all the big and -especially- little bits and pieces to finish my S2, the latest news are: She "was able" to see the daylight out of the garage and to feel the tarmac for the first time. I have to admit that I was not too happy with the first experience (never have driven a Lotus before!) because there are still a lot of stuff which do not work, brake pedal don't return completely, accelerator pedal not so smooth, front tires touching the body (front wheels/rims too big) etc etc. By the way: Is it correct that the clutch "touches" in the very last moment (just centimetres before leaving the foot)? I hope, most of the things can be sorted one day....
Best to you, Fred
Attachments
Bild 1870.jpg and
Bild 1867.jpg and
Bild 1872.jpg and
Bild 1869.jpg and
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 pm

It looks very pretty, well done. I have an S2 not very standard but an S2 never the less. If you need photos or anything let me know.
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 am

Fred

Well done.

Are they 26R hubs/wheels you have used? or the kelsport wheels on standard K/O hubs?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Gorgeous color; very nice car!

Does the clutch disengage at the same location as engagement? My engagement point (assume that's what you mean by "touches") is mid range in its travel. If "yes", then it sounds as if your adjusting rod is way too long and there's no free play, ie, clearance between the throwout bearing and fingers of the diaphram.

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 pm

@Bob: Thanks for your offer. Do you have any parts for sale? I'm desesperately looking for the big chrome/aluminium strip behind the seats/end of interior room, also for an original S2 rev counter (no matter what condition).
@gordont: Yes, these are 26R hubs/wheels from TTR.
@greg: Thanks. Don't remember but I think the clutch disengage at the same location. My engagement point is not mid but end range in its travel. Will check it out next time.
Fred
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:31 pm

[quote="ripley"]I'm desesperately looking for the big chrome/aluminium strip behind the seats/end of interior room, quote]

Is this what you are looking for? if so its listed at the type26 register http://www.type26register.com/misc_hardware.html
Attachments
ALLOY STRIP [HDTV (1080)].JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 am

Fred,

Hang in there , the car looks to be coming together quite well. They are well worth the effort once you get them sorted, why else would so many of us on the forum have had (or currently have) more than one.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 pm

@George: It's exactly what I hope. Since years I was/'m wondering about all the positive and impressioned comments Elan drivers are mentioning about these cars. Wish mine will be one of them...
@types26/36: Yes, it's exactly what I'm looking for. But does anybody knows why none of my emails to the type26register has been answered? No chance to get a reply...
Fred
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:46 pm

ripley

Post subject: Re: S2 Elan after 5 years -almost- on the road... Reply with quote

But does anybody knows why none of my emails to the type26register has been answered? No chance to get a reply...
Fred

The man behind the type26registry, Tim Mees died last July and I am not sure what has become of things since his passing. Maybe someone can fill in with an update?

free-parking-f19/tim-mees-passing-truely-saddened-this-news-t21054.html
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Greg, When you write "adjusting rod", are you referencing the slave cylinder push rod? If it is, are you suggesting moving the nut down the length of the rod, essentially shortening the rod, to move the point on engagement up from the floor? Mine also engages somewhat close to the floor, but the more noticeable aspect, is that the engagement is very quick. No room for feathering. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Yes, I'm referring to the threaded rod coming out of the slave. There's a spec in the books that call for a certain amount of free play between it and the fork. This allows the throwout bearing to just clear the fingers. Ripley's problem is the opposite of yours. I suspected his to have pushrod adjusted so the throwout bearing is already into the fingers, hence the more immediate disengagement/ and engagement at the top of the pedal travel.

The lack of feathering is probably due to the type of clutch disc you have, ie, more toward racing specs than street specs.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks Greg, that is what I suspected.
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Those are a very interesting interpretation of the 26/R headlights. It looks like they might even work on dipped beam (unlike most others I've seen). Did you have the covers and mounts specially made?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:28 pm

@elansprint71: I'm happy to see that my headlight "interpretation" finds interest. I prefer the perspex version but was unhappy when seeing all those little, modern high-tec headlights used by most of the racing Elans. Indeed my lights even work on dipped beam (sourced from Jaguar and modified after). The covers have not been modified but the mounts were specially made.
Fred
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:24 am

collins_dan wrote:Greg, When you write "adjusting rod", are you referencing the slave cylinder push rod? If it is, are you suggesting moving the nut down the length of the rod, essentially shortening the rod, to move the point on engagement up from the floor? Mine also engages somewhat close to the floor, but the more noticeable aspect, is that the engagement is very quick. No room for feathering. Thanks, Dan

Dan,
It may be that your clutch needs bleeding - air in the hydraulics would also cause the symptoms you describe. While you are under the car checking the adjustment as Greg says it may be worthwhile to bleed it as well.
Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: