2012 50th Golden Anniversary of the Elan

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:11 am

I came up with another idea to float. A round Britain 'rally', designated daily start and finish points, Elans only, attend the whole shindig or one day or just a few.

The advantages are that a lot more people than otherwise might be the case can take part in a celebratory event, choice of how many days one participates, wide geographical spread (keep the Welsh and Scots happy!), may even attract European owners to do some southern England days, costs and admin should be able to be kept to a minimum and the whole thing should be fun - with some good Elan roads thrown in. Oh and I think there should be a rule, no motorways!

Thoughts?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 pm

That sounds like a great idea; I'd like to join in for a day or two.
I think it will need a wider audience than those of us on here & a load of publicity would be more than useful.
Maybe involving a charity such as Alzheimer's which has been on TV a lot recently may be of use?
Maybe the extremities like Scotland, Ireland or Cornwall will need to do a sort of "same day" stages event?
Quite a lot of organisation needed maybe?
e.g. How many will be where & when for feeding times, accommodation etc.

Cheers
John

Now then; what was I going to do next :?
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks John

I'm a great believer in the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid - and it's highly applicable in my case!

No accommodation, all done on a self help basis. Those who want to stay in a 5 star can, those who want to stay with friends or relatives can too. We might choose a hotel car park as a daily start and finish location, we might suggest places to stop for lunch. The route could be suggested rather than to be followed slavishly. Start time can be between say 9 and 10 each morning. That's all off the top of my head but you get the drift.

Charity element is a good idea. Did you say Alzheimer's, John; I forget these days.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Sharples » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 pm

This is a good idea. As well as LotusElan.Net, mobilise Club Lotus, the Lotus Drivers Club and the main dealers and get a complete tour around the UK in the style of a relay event. Around the coast completed by Elans from all over the country. Not super-simple but doable and something that might attract quite a bit of attention as you say.

John
John Sharples
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Ok Ardee, I'll bite...

Is the Esprit in the front LH of the photo a post '88 car?

... and, whilst risking comments along the lines of the Father Ted sketch on perspective, is it just me/a trick of the camera but don't the three cars at the front look disproportionately big? - a bit like someone has spliced two pictures together?? - or should I go to S***Savers???

C

PS - or more likely that Lotus cars didn't start until '52? (optician's appointment booked!)
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Craig, there's a gate crasher...

The original mag ad was spread across two pages, so I had to remove both and splice two scans together. I didn't do anything else...

...except...put in what should've been there in the first place.

Have a look at the original...a Sprint Convertible-shaped dry patch?

(If not that, then what? I thought it was an open car of some sort and they didn't want to hang about in the rain!)

Cheers - Richard (the only one who kept the ad?)
Attachments
Dry Patch.jpg and
Who couldn't hang around?
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Tim, I like the sound of a round Britain idea and would join in for sure, dates not conflicting. The organisation would be very onerous, even just the route, definitely leave accomodation to the individuals. How about splitting the country/ies into areas, say 10 - 15, then inviting local volunteers to organise a route, coffee/lunch stops in their own areas. You, or whoever, would just need to specify a particular point at which each area overlaps.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks Jim

What I started planning yesterday evening was a route based on visiting race circuits and hill climbs. Incorporating some dealers could work well too. Like you, I had also started thinking that splitting the country into regions with an individual responsible for each, would help with road selection and route planning.

My rough route would start at Hethel and head clockwise around the country, taking circuits like Brands/Lydden, Goodwood, Thruxton, then the West Country (circuits anyone?), perhaps climb Poorlock Hill, up to Castle Combe, then into Wales and Penbury before turning north over those wonderful Welsh Elan roads, the Elan Valley of course, Anglesey, Oulton Park, Aintree, then up to Turnberry via the Lakes, across to Knockhill though I would take advice on other locations further into the Highlands, down to Duns and then Croft, the Dales, Cadwell, Mallory Park, Silverstone and perhaps Brooklands. I know that I have missed out some good places but this is early days. I would like to put in more hill climbs too.

The idea would be that we might get to drive around a circuit or two and climb a hill or two, just to let off steam! However, I am mindful of the cost of hiring these locations and that not everyone will want to thrash their Elan. It's more that most circuits are out in pleasant countryside and should thus include good driving roads, avoiding built up areas and to give some interesting 'glue' to the rally.

The other question I have been toying with is when to do this. My initial thought was to end the rally at Donington, but then I realised, assuming it takes say two weeks, we would be driving during the Olympics and in the school holidays. My thoughts are now that a late summer rally, in mid September, might work better.

Any further thoughts on all this, chaps?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am

Having just read the suggestion of a parade lap of Elans at next years Melbourne F1 event it has struck me that next years Silverstone F1 event should really be do-able if the right people were asked the right questions.
After all there are presently 2 Lotus F1 teams who would love to prove their heritage to the viewing public; what better than having a host of "their" Elans on track prior to the race.
Silverstone is pretty central, so reachable by many, a big plus.
Negative; what would it cost us to attend an F1 championship race there?
Probably a bit too expensive for many?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 am

John, my understanding is that the parade lap at the Melb GP is pretty much invitation so a bit of lobbying now amd you may get there
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 am

gordont wrote:John, my understanding is that the parade lap at the Melb GP is pretty much invitation so a bit of lobbying now amd you may get there

Quite Gordon, that was the basis of my posting.
The early bird catches the worm. :wink:

Thanks & Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redelan64 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm

And with many Elans down under we will be looking for ideas to celebrate here in Australia.

I've owned an Elan since 1974 so can't wait to drink a toast to uncle Colin's brilliance.

My 64 S1 is a joy to drive - pretty good for a car that's 47 years modern.

Craig
Elan 1964 S1 - since 1976
Lotus 18 FJ - sold
Elan +2 - sold
redelan64
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:48 pm

trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 pm

An 'event" at the Lotus factory in Hethel perhaps?

Do we know yet if Hethel is having a do? Is anyone in the know?

It would be great for me to take the +2 as it is not very far.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Jason

Alan Morgan of Club Lotus has been scoping out the factory. I don't know where things currently stand other than the new ownership has not yet shown their hand with regard to Lotus heritage, as far as I know.

By the way, Alan is now the proud owner of an Elan which I think is very good news! And I hope he doesn't mind me informing you!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: