Why restore an Elan

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 am

Robert - thinking about the RHD car with scoop on the LHS, which side is your battery box on?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 am

Both on LHS......
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 am

sounds odd, my battery box intrudes into the under floor area as in this picture of Franks, I would have thought the scoop would not be able to go around it.
Attachments
battery box & scoop.PNG
Battery box with blue line around it, scoop is on the opposite side (Franks car)
battery box & scoop.PNG (84.13 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Frank,

Roberts photo is not far off, but all you can see is the strip of SS sheet that wraps around the structural metal. Since my car is stripped for paint, the SS is off and you can see what is needed to do. I'll get a photo tonight. The photo of the rusty metal at the front is correct, just needs straightening and reattachment at the front into fiberglass, BUT, this is a later bonnet for a S3 which has a lift spring which attaches to the steering rack. S1 and 2 bonnets had a smaller spring on each side near the sliding hinge thingies. I don't have any of S2, since all my complete cars are S3.

I'm sure Mr Anderson could help, but he seems to be snowed in of late.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Elan45 wrote:I'm sure Mr Anderson could help, but he seems to be snowed in of late.Roger

Gary did post some S2 bonnet latch pics a while ago...see this thread:
elan-f14/bonnet-catches-t15156.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:01 am

Back to battery trays, here's a pic of my arrangement. A definite battery tray in the boot and no sign of any accomodation behind drivers seat on o/s right side. Behind passenger seat, floor is a mirror of driver's side. Is this not the norm for an S3? It means both diff scoop and battery are on n/s left side

Robert

robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:56 am

Hi,
My 66' S3 pre-aiflow is the same.
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

In regards to Diff Scoops and Battery Trays, S1 and S2 Elan Roadsters have the Battery Tray behind the right side seat. As far as I know that is the same on RHD and LHD cars. The Diff Scoop would always be on the left side and would not interfere with the Battery Tray as that is on the right side behind the right seat. Also, it appears the Diff Scoop was only installed on SE's. I do not know of any Diff Scoop designed to be mounted on the right side of the car.

Elan Coupes, S3 Elans, and S4 Elans have the Battery Tray in the trunk on the left hand side.

Also, thank you for the pics regarding the Bonnet latches. It appears that part of the Bonnet with the metal wrapped around the fiberglass is missing from my car. If you consider what kind of shape the rest of the bodywork was in, that would make perfect sense. And here I thought the Bonnet didn't need much in the way repairs, ...................what was I thinking!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Famous Frank wrote: S1 and S2 Elan Roadsters have the Battery Tray behind the right side seat. As far as I know that is the same on RHD and LHD cars. The Diff Scoop would always be on the left side and would not interfere with the Battery Tray as that is on the right side behind the right seat. Frank

Frank, my early S2 (RHD with battery behind left seat) has provision for the battery to be fitted on either side and from memory it also has the mounting bobbins.
I was under the impression the battery would be fitted on the opposite side to the driver in either RHD or LHD cars.
Obviously my car is not an SE so the diff scoop would not be an issue.
Attachments
S2 BATTERY SPACE RIGHT SIDE.JPG and
S2 BATTERY TRAY UNDER RIGHT SIDE.JPG and
S2 BATTERY TRAY  LEFT SIDE.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Famous Frank wrote:S2 Elan Roadsters have the Battery Tray behind the right side seat. As far as I know that is the same on RHD and LHD cars.

Both my 65 and 66 S2 (both RHD) had/have the tray on the off-side. Never seen any evidence of an accommodation on the driver's side.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

summerinmaine wrote:Both my 65 and 66 S2 (both RHD) had/have the tray on the off-side. Never seen any evidence of an accommodation on the driver's side.

That's a very confusing sentence :)

They are RHD, the driver's side is the RHS, and when you say the off-side you mean the LHS ?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 pm

I've been following the discussion on the differential air scoop with some interest. My plain vanilla S2 (as if any S2 deserves that appellation) has no evidence of one.

But I'm curious to know one thing: do they actually work? Has there ever been any wind tunnel testing to determine whether, at the location of the intake on the undercarriage, there is positive or negative pressure? As an old time fan of Jim Hall's Chaparral, I recognize that many designers of the era were trying to induce a vacuum under the car.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 am

Near side and off side refer to the kerb, not the driver, right? So driver is always on the off-side, and passenger on near-side whether LHD or RHD. That's what helps me get my head around it. Unless of course a car's been imported and not converted, when the opposite applies! Think I'd better lie down for a while, before I grapple with A, B and C pillars......does an Elan have an A and B, or an A and C? What would ACBC have thought?
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jpt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:13 am

My S2 (26-4203) is LHD and has battery boxes on both sides.

Jon
jpt
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:23 am

Robert, I'm still laughing !!!! Near side, kerb side, or isn't it curb side. I don't know either!!!

Maybe the battery tray area is on both sides, unless it's an SE. Is the single tray bottom another SE only item? As far as I know the Diff Scoop is only on the SE's. Does that mean non-SE S1 and S2's have the battery tray on both sides? That would be right side and the left side?

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear