Sprint two tone demarcation line

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Abstamaria - is that an S1 Elise reflected in the paint of your first photo - nice stable!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 am

You're welcome, Frank. We are thinking exactly the same way. I agree a pinstripe would be very sharp, especially on BRG over white. I actually applied a very thin, silver tape strip after I first painted the Elan (1982). It looked very good, but the tape kept coming off! They have better quality tape these days, so I would be curious to see what you can find. Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 am

elanfan1 wrote:Frank - just to add to your dilemma. Note my demarcation line is mid bumper at the front and top of the bumper at the rear - and done by highly respected UK painters.

That look's very good, elanfan1. And in the exact alternative color Frank was considering! If the car is complete now, can you post a photo? I would love to see that.

Although it seems your line is a very little bit higher than mine, it's quite unusual that we would start at different points at the front and end up almost at the same place at the rear. I should remove my front bumper or project the line with a string, and see exactly where we started my line 12 years ago, when we last painted it.

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 am

elanfan1 wrote:Note my demarcation line is mid bumper at the front and top of the bumper at the rear...
Steve,

I just went out to the garage and measured the distance from the floor to the top of the rear bumper. Your painters were spot on because to get the same measurement at the front, the demarcation line would have to intersect the front bumper about 1" up from the bottom. The casual observer wouldn't notice because the line really ends at the rear of the front wheel arch.

Great ideas and great photos in this thread.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 am

[quote="nebogipfel The white should continue into the shuts to be original. [/quote]

Thank you, John. I suspected as much, but it's good you confirmed that. We have exactly the same model, an S4 DHC. Mine (#8439) was registered as a 1969 in the U.S., but I believe the build date is late 1968. In any case, it shouldn't be wearing two colors!

Regards, Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:15 am

elanfan1 wrote:Abstamaria - is that an S1 Elise reflected in the paint of your first photo - nice stable!

Yes, that is an S1 Elise. You have sharp eyes; the Elise is hardly visible in the reflection, particularly if one is concentrating on the demarcation line. When I first parked the Elise next to the Elan, the Elan (which had always looked current to me) all of a sudden acquired a "vintage" feel.

Yes, I am quite happy have the two - they complement each other - and that both made Classic & Sportscar's top 25 Greatest Drivers' Cars.

Regards,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:21 am

abstamaria wrote:Thank you, John. I suspected as much, but it's good you confirmed that. We have exactly the same model, an S4 DHC. Mine (#8439) was registered as a 1969 in the U.S., but I believe the build date is late 1968. In any case, it shouldn't be wearing two colors!

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy, Yes my car; chassis number 8908 (1969) should be L07 Yellow but I think the two-tone scheme just looks so good on an Elan so I compromised with yellow over white.

I have also put the gold stripes on but mine have "Elan" script on the doors and not "Elan Sprint"
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

abstamaria wrote:
elanfan1 wrote:That look's very good, elanfan1. And in the exact alternative color Frank was considering! If the car is complete now, can you post a photo? I would love to see that.

Andy

Those photos were only taken on 19/11 so unfortunately it won't be until next year i get to play for the first time since I bought the car in 2004 (messed about by an 'expert' for 3 years in between!!) but it is well on the way now. Thought you might like another pic or 2

Cheers all

Steve
Attachments
P1040360.JPG and
P1040380.JPG and
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:57 am

Very, very nice, Steve. It looks like you should be enjoying your Elan shortly. Are you doing the rebuild yourself? It seems your Elan has the exact color combination that Frank is also considering; with so many alternative options, he has a major problem, but a good one.
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Steve

Car looks really nice, who did do the paintwork as they seem to know what they are doing?

That is my favourite colour combination (although I am quite partial to Colorado over white for some reason) and it should be great to see it finished.

Why was an "expert" on it for 3 years and yet you still have a fair bit to do?

I assume it is going to be a very original car, it certainly looks that way from the pics, what is the cars history?

Good luck with finishing it off.

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 pm

I posted a picture of my Elan in daylight in the Gallery section ("1969 S4 DHC, #8439"), which shows off the normal tone of the BRG on the car. It is not an original Elan color, and neither is the white. Nor for that matter, the gray carpeting! I could go on and on. The car just evolved through the 33 years that I've enjoyed it. Check it, Frank, if you have time, to give you an idea of the color. Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: