rare parts

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:50 pm

I do have the Headlight switch, it just leaks slightly. They are pretty simply devices - but after 40 years the rubber loses it's elastomeric properties. When I get back to the states, I'm considering having a bunch of the rubber switch interior pieces made and then rebuilding switches for people. Switches cost close to $150-200 these days. I could make my own mold and then have a bunch a bunch cast for half that. I'm sure folks would pay $50.00 to have their part rebuilt.
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:37 pm

I have also not found a source for the longer 4 bolt S1-S3 boot (trunk) hinges. Does anyone know what the original car was that these were sourced from? (I have heard that Dave Bean used to have some billet aluminum replicas, but now out of stock.)

The S4/Imp 3 bolt hinge is avail but will not substitute without body work.
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:28 pm

Yet another-

Has anyone found a source for the S1-S3 dish shaped or concave gear shift boots?
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:48 am

Hi Marc, not sure what the boot looks like, I've got a suspicious boot on my S1. Are all the originals rubber? They look like what? thanks, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:07 am

In my 1967 elan coupe S3 the gear shift rubber boot is a small round bulb looking cover. I've been told by Rich Kamp that it is original and hard to find. I was told that the later models are larger and have square corners. Others my have better info.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:37 am

Eric and Sarto,

Hope this helps. This first image is the S 1-3 gearshift boot (or grommet) I scanned from 1972 edition of the Lotus Elan Workshop manual. You can easily see how it has a dish or bowl type profile. It is the same boot that I have remnants of from two different S3's. I have not been able to source this type of gearshift boot at all.

This next image is of the S4 gearshift boot, I scanned from a 1976 edition of the Lotus Elan Service Parts List. It is what I call the bulb type. I have found these type readily available new. Recently purchased one from Dave Bean for less than $10.

Both of these round type boots are original, but for different years/models of Elans. I have not found a good reference for when the change was made. My guess is perhaps at approximately the same the shift knob changed from pear shape to ball or ~ say about the introduction of the Super Safety S3?

The square boots are +2 items.

Regards,
-Marc
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:25 am

Marc,
I just sent you pictures of my boot. I am looking at your first picture
and if I push the rubber down on the shift lever it looks like
what you are showing. My camera just went dead otherwise I would send another picture pushed all the way down.
Again I don't know how to post a picture here.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:50 am

Sarto, I agree - you do have an original for your S3. It needs the center pushed down; if it will (they lose shape/flex over the years.)

Here's the photo you sent me (resized).

NON-LOTUS CONTENT BELOW

When you reply to a message in the forum there is a button above the text box titled ?IMG? with example code directly below it. Here is how it "works" -
To display a photo you need a website or web based storage for the photo. (it needs to be sized right too, 2-4 inches on a side.) Then you just link the photo into the message you post using this code - [img]image_url[/img] "image_url" is the website or web resource where you stored the photo and the name of the photo. ( e.g. - http://www.whereeveryoustoredit.com/the ... -photo.jpg) So when the message is published it retrieves the photo(s) from the image_url and inserts it in the message text.
[/img]
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: