Occasional Winter use (not SORNED)

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:21 pm

I've a house on the market, so may be on the move this Winter. I can't therefore lay up the Sprint until the Spring.

I've found a 'definitive' guide to laying up an Elan, but not one which details what is to be done (as a minimum) during a typically wet/cold British Winter/early Spring, when you are keeping the car on the road.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:08 am

Stuart
Unless you are storing it outside during the bad weather I can not see that much of a problem using it through out the winter. Mine gets occasional use through out the winter. The only problem I get it there is more muck on the road so you need to check the brakes more often and every now and again check and wash the underneath of the car so the crud does not build up or start to corrode things.
Main winter problems:- Anti freeze. You should have a good mixture in there all year round so no problems there.
Check and clean all the electrical connections and earths as you will be using a lot more electrics during the winter.
Check your battery and alternator/dynamo as they will get a harder life for the next few months.
Check the tread on the tyres.
Check all your lights work and all the other components. (If you are like me some of the accessories only ever get used in the winter)
Lots of guys on the forum use their Elans through out the winter so I am sure they will be giving you some more advice.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:29 pm

Clive,

Thanks for that.

It will be garaged....for sure!

So occasional use is okay, like once a week at weekends? If not running it on the road once a week, then run it up to temperature once a week for 20 minutes or so?

Cover air filter, exhaust etc?

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:50 pm

Although you say you will be useing/starting it so it will probably not effect you, but if left for some time the clutch has a habit of of sticking and will not disengage. I find by working the clutch every 2-3 weeks (if the car is not used) keeps it from sticking.
I also press the brake pedal several times as the calipers also tend to stick.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:16 am

Stuart
I think taking it for a good run once a week is the best thing you can do as it gets everything warm works all the components, stops the tyres from getting flat spots and also puts a smile on your face.
I personally do not like to fire a car up and just let it idle.
My Elan can go for months without being used and the only problems I find are I might need to charge/boost the battery, the plugs might get a bit wet as it usually takes a bit longer to fire up and the brakes rub slightly for a few miles.
If it has stood for a particularly long time I remove the plugs and turn the engine over by hand first.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: