Car Lift

PostPost by: John Sharples » Tue May 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Has anyone out there bought a lift of some sort to get their Elan at a reasonable height for working under? Budget say around ?1000.

John
John Sharples
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi,

I have a 4 post lift. http://www.internbv.nl Costs around 1700 delivered +vat. Brilliant.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue May 04, 2010 8:26 pm

I got a 4 post electrohydraulic from ebay ?400 and spent around ?200 converting to single phase - it wasn't just a motor change for me, I had to change a valve in the hydraulics because the single and 3 phase versions are different (I think speed related)
Only had one problem with it - I thought I'd be clever and change the fluid after a few years of very light use and airlocked it. Asked a friend what to do and now alls well.
It uses steel ropes running on pulleys driven by a single ram. The ropes need to be in good nick.
There are versions with locking beams where you can lift the car to a set height, locate the beams, click them in position and then lower the main ramps.
Given the choice, I'd have one of these but I would not want to go back to scrabbling around on the floor so the one I have does fine form me.
I'd thoroughly recommend one.
Good hunting
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Interesting hearing of the conversion three to single phase. Doing each machine, if you have a few or are intending buying a few, can be expensive! and buying three phase in the 1st place isn't an option.......Or is it? I used to go the single phase rout all the time, but I don't now. Brought in the lecy company for a quote.Yes sir we can do you a 3 ph supply. 800 quid (quite a few years ago!!) Nah! burying 800 quid did not sound like a good investment. So.. I bought a phase converter that runs motors up to 10hp from 30 amp supply. And my kids can sell it when I'm gone.

And I find three ph machinery is more common and cheaper to buy.

Alex
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Wed May 05, 2010 9:01 am

Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 am

alexblack13 wrote:Hi,

I have a 4 post lift. http://www.internbv.nl Costs around 1700 delivered +vat. Brilliant.

Alex B.... 8)

Hi Alex,

you may remember that we've spoken about this before & I've also recently seen Photos of you lift installed in your Garage.
I'm now in the process of obtaining permission to change my "Duplex Parker" Garage into a single.
My Garage is higher than normal ones & also has a 1m deep basement to accommodate the tilting upper & lower decks.
My plan is to get a reinforced Concrete false floor at Ground level with a Central gap to provide a shallow pit.
The only thing I'm not too sure about is the overall height of the Garage so that I can put my Elan on the lift & a day to day Car underneath. I will do some measuring to see what works.
My question to you is the height of your Garage, it seems to be purpose built in order to accommodate the lift with a Car on top, something that would not be possible in most normal Garages I think?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:01 am

D.J.Pelly wrote:My plan is to get a reinforced Concrete false floor at Ground level with a Central gap to provide a shallow pit.

John,

If you're going this far why not fit a fibre-glass pit at the same time? Then you will have the best of both worlds. :)
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 am

I installed a Mech-mate pit: http://mech-mate.co.uk/ which has been great for working on the E-Type but getting the Elan over it is a bit dicey and requires someone to guide you on. The tyres are only just on the edge of the pit :shock:
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:My plan is to get a reinforced Concrete false floor at Ground level with a Central gap to provide a shallow pit.

John,

If you're going this far why not fit a fibre-glass pit at the same time? Then you will have the best of both worlds. :)

The Garage I intend to convert is a pre-cast Concrete one & the present floor level is 3 to 4 Feet below ground level & totally waterproof. The Ground water level here is very high & probably only just below the level of the present Floor.
My plan is to get a false Floor put in at Ground level with a gap in the middle that will leave a shallow Pit for the odd little job or even more if my Bank Balance doesn't run to a Car lift immediately.
I expect that the removal of the existing tilt Ramp system & casting the Concrete false floor will cost quite a lot.
Digging out a deeper Pit would be a big job & risk damaging the presently totally Watertightness of the "Basement"
I hope to be able to store some valuable bits like the Twincam down there.
Anyway thanks for the idea Brian.
Cheers
John

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Guys, John,
Good to hear from you all...

The Garage in question was built as an extension to my house some 15 or so years ago and fitting a lift therein was never ever considered until a couple of years ago when I spotted the lift I bought at the NEC show. It was the price and value for money that I noticed at 1st thinking that it was a super bit of kit for the price. Later on that evening my friend and I were having a beer and discussing things various when the ramp came up in conversation again and it occurred to me that it might just fit into the space I have.That started the ball rolling! and after measuring about 10 times I decided it would fit and ordered one.. A year later at the next nec show.. :lol: :lol: It is tight for space with just an inch or so either side of the column base plates and I had to re-locate the hydraulic pump assy on the adjacent wall. Easy to do though and it has been a godsend. There is no way I would be doing what I am doing to the little car lying on my back. Just out of the question. Its a cool bit of equipment..

Do you need me to measure anything for you? Please advise.. Photos etc are available and I can easily take some more if you need them. :wink:

OK?

Alex....... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Sharples » Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks to all. A pit is not an option due to the water table being awfully close to ground level where I live. The lift suggestions both look good.

John
John Sharples
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: martynsprint » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 am

Try looking at one of these and within your budget....

http://www.levo-artis.com/11.html

I have one (the Red Sprint in above link). Also have a pair of cross bridges for it that allows all four wheels to be raised off the ground whilst on the lift - Very useful.
martynsprint
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 pm

It is not clear how you use cross bridges?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I have a 4 post same as alex supplied by MAS in Liverpool cost ?1600 delivered much easier than the levo artis type single phase hydraulic & you are not laying on your back also self supporting & can be moved around with castors supplied. Even if you cannot get full height very comfortable to use with a typists chair & you can store a car underneath.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Tell you what. That Levo system would be better than the standard Halfords type ramps etc if height was an issue. Still on ones back etc but would be fine for our errr... 'younger members'? Had I not had the room that would have done me.

Having said that it's flaming great not having to get down on ones hands and knees, and even working at waist height is better than nothing. The 4 poster allows infinite height control & It is a superb bit of kit to own. I consider myself very lucky to have it.
and I can thoroughly recommend it. If you have the roof space go for it. It will be the best 2 grand you ever spent. :wink:

Alex.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: