Sprints

PostPost by: LL » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks everyone. The car I believe is indeed an S4 DHC. At some point it was converted to Sprint spec. I bought the car anyway as even though I am a purist my wife who is not was in love with the bloody thing and to be honest it was at non-Sprint prices. Happy to live with that.

Got to drive it for the first time today and can't believe how advanced the chassis is compared to contemporary vehicles. The grip and the balance is astonishing compared to most modern cars. I drive an M3 CSL every day and I swear this little Elan would keep up with it on challenging roads. Quite an eye opener. I have several old MG's and Healeys and the Elan would wipe the floor with the lot of them! Incidentally one of the guys who works for me has a S2 Elise and this seems better put together, almost as quick to 70/80mph, less rattles and a lot nicer driving position! My business partner has a S2 M100 Elan and this little car wipes the floor with it.

I should post a pic up at some point, hope our little converted Sprint doesn't upset the majority, I know how particular some people are with Classics but even if it isn't original it's still a brilliant bit of gear! :D
LL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:00 am

Congratulations on getting your car :D and joining the group, lots of info available here (and not too many disagreements)
As a matter of interest, does your car have a Lotus or Spyder chassis ?(and I am NOT knocking Spyder chassis's)
Couple of tips:
carry a fire extinguisher :shock: (good insurance)
join Club Lotus
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:26 pm

Hello LL,
likewise welcome aboard!
What a glowing report on you new Elan, especially the comparisons with those other very highly regarded cars.
The red mist is coming down, you've spurred me on to take my S4 out for a thrash this evening.
Like "Brian" has said this is a great newsgroup there are a lot of very kind and experienced members always happy to share their experience or provide help in some way.
All the best.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:02 am

Lotus used to = kit car. If it's a Sprint built at the factory or a "Sprint" built by some guy, who cares? The +2 was a kit car. Drive yours fast, be safe and have fun.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: birdthom » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:16 pm

Just as a footnote on the S4/Sprint debate, my car was originally manufactured in 1970 as an S4 on Strombergs but before it was sold in 1971 it was converted to Sprint spec by the factory (webers, big valve, diff reinforcement etc etc) and badged as a Sprint but left in a single colour with the Stromberg bonnet bulge. I was sceptical when I bought the car until I saw a letter from the factory confirming all this had happened to my car. My understanding is that they had a load of unsold S4's hanging around which they converted to Sprints so that they could sell them.

Tom.
birdthom
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:02 pm

More than a few S4s became Sprints at the factory. Good piece of Chapman thinking: can't sell them....? upgrade them to the new model, charge more, put the "old" parts into the spares stock, which of course are very expensive and clear out the obsolete cars at the same time!
And.... while we are at it, we'll charge an extra ?15 for not having to paint the bottom of the car white and put on the stickers!!

;-) You have got to admire him.

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: