Elan Sprint at the Goodwood Breakfast Club

PostPost by: zarelan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 pm

I finally managed to find the time to give the car a good polish and took this picture at the last Goodwood Breakfast Club. What a great event this, and the drive through the Sussex back roads on a good summers day is just Elan heaven! :lol:

--Antonio
Attachments
DSC_1761 (1).jpg and
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 am

Hi

Just thought I should let you now, your Sprint is the reason I'm getting an Elan! You may have noticed a rather tall fellow who spent a while looking your car over and taking about 100 pictures? It was my favourite car there, absolutely stunning. So thanks, for the inspiration!

Steve
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: zarelan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Steve, I'm glad you liked it. That is exactly how I felt 5 years ago when I went to the Club Lotus Track Day at Castle Combe and saw a recently restored Sprint. That was my inspiration. I knew then I wanted one and sure enough a few months later I had one in my garage. I had been thinking of getting a classic for while and the Elan was top of the list but never had seen one for real until that trip to Castle Combe. Only in magazines and books. Seeing that magnificent Sprint at Castle Combe really started my passion for these cars.

Good luck with your search !!

--Antonio
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Did I pass you on the A3 and you followed me in to the circuit? Parked by the Kart Track? There was a strong Lotus prescence of all ages last time out.

Ian

(Monochrome Yellow Sprint)
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: zarelan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:26 pm

Ian, yes that was me on the A3 and I followed you all the way to Goodwood. It's not often I get to drive behind another Elan! I think I counted 6 Elans altogether parked in the grounds. Very good compared to other Sundays I've driven there.
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 pm

I think it would be my S4 (in Gold Leaf colours) near the kart track.
You need to get there early to get on the track! Fortunately I only live 5 miles away ;-)
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Peter Wareham » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Silly question - what's the Goodwood breakfast club?? - I only live 15 miles away!!
Peter Wareham
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:30 pm

An early morning themed get-together, on the first Sunday morning of each month, at the circuit. See here:

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/content/ ... fault.aspx

It's free to go and look but you have to pay for breakfast (which is quite nice after an early morning drive).

If your car fits the theme you may well get to park up on the grid.

It's usually very well attended, and always good to go and have a look at what's there.

There's only one left this year, in December.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: uk08462 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:17 pm

It was very cold there this morning. Wish I'd worn my flying jacket.

Plenty of Elans there and a single +2 that I saw. A beautiful Elite and my M100. Contemplating buying an original Elan after thinking about it for 25 years. I met up with an old chum and Elan aficionado who was pointing out that this car had the wrong dash, that the wrong badge, the wrong flashers on that... Looks like I'll need to do my research!

If you've never been, well worth a visit - the 2010 diary of events for the Goodwood Breakfast Club:

07 March 2010 -Tax-free Sunday ? for all pre-1973 classics
    04 April 2010 - Sporting Family Favourites ? four-seater fun
    02 May 2010 - Everything but the Car ? from bikes to buses, tractors to trucks; nothing is too bizarre
    06 June 2010 - Supercar Sunday ? the ultimate performance machines; cars and bikes
    27 June 2010 - Soft Top Sunday ? a taste of the British summer for all open-top cars
    01 August 2010 - Performance Car Legends ?? post-1970 driver?s cars, including track day favourites
    29 August 2010 - Classic Sunday ? pre-1966 vehicles in the spirit of Goodwood?s golden days
    03 October 2010 - Souped-up Sunday ? modified and custom vehicles of all ages
    07 November 2010 - Deutsch Marques! ?? a tribute to Germany?s finest motoring marvels
    05 December 2010 - Christmas Cracker Special ?? cherished cars and Santa?s sled. Yule be glad you came!
uk08462
New-tral

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:45 pm

There was a huge turnout today - I think the biggest I've seen there. Plenty of Elans, definitely more than on any previous occasion. See photos below - I know there are a couple I didn't get pictures of, and I think one more Plus2 I didn't get. Also 5 or more Mk1 LoCorts, and at least 1 Mk2.

If these cars below to any of you, speak up.

I decided to do the 1hr journey at -2 degrees with the hood down and lost about 3 fingers to frostbite.

Paddy
Attachments
s3-4.jpg and
sprint-1.jpg and
sprint-1-rear.jpg and
sprint-2.jpg and
sprint-3.jpg and
sprint-4.jpg and
sprint-5.jpg and
elite-1.jpg and
europa-1.jpg and
europa-2.jpg and
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

More photos ...
Attachments
plus2-1.jpg and
s1.jpg and
s3-1.jpg and
s3-2.jpg and
s3-3.jpg and
s3-3-interior.jpg and
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:50 am

What a great turnout! I counted 8 Elans and a Plus Two. The yellow Elite was beautiful, I saw it arrive at the same time as an even more yellow Fiat 500. Paddy, your S1 was my favourite and bravo for driving with the hood down, I was fighting hypothermia just walking around. I'm sad mine couldn't make it, it would have been a good way to celebrate it's 40th birthday (in 5 days). I'm going to try and get it fixed for the next one, even though it's two seats short for the theme.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:20 am

Paddy,

Thanks for sharing those excellent photo's. It just shows what us "oop north" miss out on occasionally.

Still just have to be content with our summer club meets when all the oldies come out to play.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

zarelan wrote:I finally managed to find the time to give the car a good polish and took this picture at the last Goodwood Breakfast Club. What a great event this, and the drive through the Sussex back roads on a good summers day is just Elan heaven! :lol:

--Antonio

Antonio

I like the look of your headrests did you make them yourself. Have you got a close up shot as I was thinking of putting them on the roll bar of my sprint as opposed to cylindrical foam covers.

Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StoatWithToast » Thu May 13, 2010 1:11 pm

We missed the March one (didn't have the car yet).
Anybody going in June?

It's my wife's birthday, so we're making a mini-trip out of it. The XI won't be road legal by then so we'll probably be in the Elan and Elise.
Dave
'06 Elise SportsRacer 111R
'72 Sprint FHC (and staying that way) - 0479
'65 XI Replica
[And a Subaru, but I don't think that counts ;)]
StoatWithToast
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: