S2 Elan field find - looks like a good candidate

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 am

Bill Fralick I went to look at this S2 Elan a 18 months ago, we both left un-impressed but contacted the owner anyway. Last week My frind Chris stepped up and bought it. Wednesday it was available for viewing again so being an original matching numbers Elan I took some photos. All of the original parts and panels were there.

Chassis number in front or the right engine mount
Block number LP 2543 LBA
engine matching cylinder head LP2543
Cylinder head is one of the "die-cast" units with the correct cam cover, I think the oil cap may not be correct for the November 17th 1964 invoice date.
Now we get to the body numbers, this is the body number on the firewall next to the right hand bonnet catch.
Left door body number is pretty ledgable, right door matches but you need to use a little imagination to read, knowing the number helps.
This is my favorite, I have not found many bonnets (any?) numbers that were still this visible.
Right rear, looks presentable. Only taking off the primer and what lies under it will reveal its ultimate condition.
Right front looks the same as the rear, its got some issues but most do.
Interior seams like it in fair shape
Dounut blow up repair to the inside of the boot, looks like someone did this one nicely.
Latice is still looking like it will do its job, it certainly could use some help but for an early S2 parked outside, I was surprised that it was as good as it is.
engine will need a complete strippdown and rebuild, likewise for the ultra close gearbox
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:17 am

What a great find, Gary, and a pretty early S2. Nothing a lick of paint and a couple of hours work can't sort out! What's Chris going to do with it? A matching numbers S2 has to be very rare machine....must be worthy of an original spec. restoration.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 am

"...for an early S2 parked outside, I was surprised that it was as good as it is."

When Chapman was selling the benefits of glass fibre, I think this was his vision. That unlike metal bodied cars, the cars he was producing would remain in good condition after being left out in the weather and neglected for almost a half century. :wink:
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:12 am

"I think the oil cap may not be correct for the November 17th 1964 invoice date."

26/4869, built July '65, had a round cap. When I somehow lost it, I used duct tape to seal up the opening until I could get a replacement (3-eared) cap. I have been unable to get an original-style cap - they come up on ebay occasionally but I haven't tried all that hard to win one. The lattice looks better than mine did, but then this one probably wasn't partially submerged in salt water early in its life...
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Despite being incorrect for your car, I understand that those 3-eared oil caps are as rare as hen's teeth.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fotsyr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm

I am the new owner. Considering how long it sat in a field, as Gary says, its in remarkabe condition. The chassis was only rusty in one area, but is no good due to poor welding and stiffening! All the peculiar bits to an S2 appear to be there, including all the interior door and top items. Any thoughts if the wheels are Minilite's? Oil cap, I agree it should be round but this one is perfect and the wire is not broken.

chris
fotsyr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 pm

A great find and a very worthy project, Chris. Over here in the UK an early car like yours would be snapped up, and you?d be urged to restore it back to factory original condition if it?s not to become yet another race replica. Even that chassis number could be cut out and let into a new Lotus chassis, which would then be painted in red oxide of course!

There are a bunch of guys over here now re-making a lot of the previously hard to find S1 / S2 bits and pieces. Things like the chrome strips either side of the drop glass, the window scissors and most of the door furniture, so parts supply shouldn?t be a problem. You can get the trim in the US. About the only original parts that are hard to find, and expensive, are the woodrim steering wheel and ashtrays, but I?m pretty sure someone will make a small batch of those again one day.

If you haven?t restored an Elan before, do get hold of the workshop manual, the parts list and Brian Buckland?s book on the Elan. Armed with those three books, and this forum, and Gary?s experience?you can?t go wrong?.well, not seriously wrong anyway.

Get that shell in a nice dry, airy place and leave it for a while?.I?m sure it will appreciate the opportunity to dry out properly.

If the car is an original US delivered car, those wheels are probably Panasports rather than Minilites. If they are original (magnesium) Minilites, they wouldn?t be any good to use, but interesting to put on the wall. S2 cars look so good with the standard steels and hubcaps?.but I?m sure you can see I?m a little biased.

So Chris, what are your plans for the car?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:13 pm

My God I had heart palpitations looking at the pictures! I guess I must miss my Elan way more than I ever thought.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 pm

I helpped Chris pick up the car. We took it to my house (close by) and pulled it apart. Some of the easily found parts are missing, but the hard to find are there.The wheels on this car are the original (magnesium) Minilites. They and the tires are still holding air! This car was last on the road about 1986.

I think the car was happy to share garage space with my two Elans for a few days. Now it is sharing space with an Caterham and a Lotus XI waiting for Chris to decide what to do.

Bill Fralick
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:55 am

Mark,

What supplier are you recommending for the door hardware ? I have a box of chrome pices off the S1 doors that may be more trouble re-chroming than it worth.

Thanks

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 am

Hi George
The guys getting the 'rare' S1 / S2 bits together aren't suppliers as such, more a group of 3 or 4 Type 26 enthusiasts who are restoring these cars to exacting and original specification. Having found that a lot of the small bits and pieces are not available, or only poor reproductions are available,they have pooled their resources and have had a lot of parts re-made to the highest standards possible for a reasonable price.

The main contact is Tim Mees, who is running the Type 26 register at Club Lotus. The register will have a stand at Donnington this year, with a stunning Medici Blue S2 on display. Tim's email is tim.mees'AT'hotmail.co.uk ....replace the 'AT' with the @ symbol. His email is in the Club Lotus magazine, so I'm sure he won't mind me putting it up here.

Tim would also welcome chassis / engine / colour details of any S1 / S2 out there to add to the register.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:51 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Hi George
The guys getting the 'rare' S1 / S2 bits together aren't suppliers as such, more a group of 3 or 4 Type 26 enthusiasts who are restoring these cars to exacting and original specification. Having found that a lot of the small bits and pieces are not available, or only poor reproductions are available,they have pooled their resources and have had a lot of parts re-made to the highest standards possible for a reasonable price.

The main contact is Tim Mees, who is running the Type 26 register at Club Lotus. The register will have a stand at Donnington this year, with a stunning Medici Blue S2 on display. Tim's email is tim.mees'AT'hotmail.co.uk ....replace the 'AT' with the @ symbol. His email is in the Club Lotus magazine, so I'm sure he won't mind me putting it up here.

Tim would also welcome chassis / engine / colour details of any S1 / S2 out there to add to the register.

Mark

Is Tim on the forum? If not , he should register here and give a synopsis of his plans (song and dance?). There may not be a lot of daily contributors for Elan Roadsters, but I am fairly sure that it receives the largest S1, S2 Elan audience anywhere in world. All of the major Clubs around the world, whether U.S., U.K., or Australian or what ever have moved away from the Elan, and offer little to the folks that have been living and breathing with pinnacle of the minimalist front engine sports car.

Gary

p.s. what parts are being made and who is the person/s that will offer them, maybe some photos posted here would get the momentum going for the world "Elan Roadster Club"
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:55 am

I don't think that Tim is registered on here, but I know he has a look from time to time. I'll have a natter with him at Donnington and see if he's up for putting the plans for the Type 26 Register on LotusElan.net. I mentioned it to him a year ago, but I got the impression that he wanted to get things established first, and ticking along, and didn't want to get inundated with requests for parts from around the world until things were properly working.

I know of many Lotus folks here in the UK that aren't very interested in Forums, and prefer the exchange of information at the regional club meetings...something I should do as well, but I'm never in the right place at the right time! One in particular doesn't own a computer, but is probably one of the most knowledgeable folks I know regarding Elans, and the early ones in particular....and 26Rs !! I'm sure folks like Tony Thompson, Dave Bean, Paul Matty, Miles Wikins...and a load of others, could also make a great contribution. Maybe one day!

Here's the parts list that Tim put in a recent Club Lotus magazine....

Mark
Attachments
S2 parts.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 am

Just curious, but is that 8-blade fan original for that age?

I thought the originals were the 2-blade steel ones.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fotsyr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:48 am

This S2 had a plastic fan, see above photo. Pretty sure it was a ford itme at the time.
chris
fotsyr
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: