Yuk!

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Folks,

My Elan made if out of hibernation last week. After a very enjoyable journey to work - roof and windows down - I had a slightly less enjoyable drive home - this time roof down but windows up. For the rest of the evening I felt pretty sick and had a nasty taste in my throat that I think came from fumes. I am guessing that putting the side windows up created a back draft such that I was breathing fumes on the way home? Can anyone confirm? I've read lots of stuff about boot seals etc, but I am guessing that doesn't really apply with the roof down?

Also, my car continues to not pull cleanly between 2-2.5k on lightish throttle loads. It kind of clear it's throat and then goes. If you rev it hard the problem is not so obvious. Serious question, but is it possible I am I just nor driving it hard enough for the carbs to clear etc?

Finally - and possibly related - I often seem to end up with small black soot like deposits on the boot in addition to exhaust marks up the rear of the boot. Both wash off, but I wondered if the deposits (a few mm square) could be related to the hesitancy?

The car has had new plugs, plug leads, distributor and has a fuel pressure regulator. It has been setup up a couple of times by Paul Matty's (who supplied it), but the hesitancy always seems to come back. They suggested getting it on a rolling road as the next step, but I wonder if I might be being too gentle with the old girl? It starts well, ticks over well (if a little slowly for my tastes) and never stalls.

All feedback appreciated!

Thanks,

James
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:09 pm

An 'Italian tune-up' is always worth trying as a first measure. Even if it makes no difference to the car it'll do you good. :D
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi James. My '72 Sprint often runs like that - (without the fumes). Note it's on Webers.

Most of the soot deposited on mine seems to be during a slow warming up phase. Once it's fully warm it runs much better & I experience no carbon. It's almost as if its running too rich at idle, but only when cold. I think if my car was a daily driver it would run much better as it wouldn't need to settle - I know this doesn't sound too scientific, but I know what you mean about feeling the need to drive it harder to make it run better.

The other item to bear in mind is that it takes me 20 minutes to get re-acquainted with the style needed to drive it, after my daily driver front-wheel drive turbo-diesel.

It may also be worth checking your Y-piece of the exhaust for any fume leaks.

Rgds

Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:38 pm

And for any oil dropping on the exhaust.......

It may also help to extend the exhaust tail pipe a bit further beyond the back of teh car.

Something on my list of things to do :)

The tail of the +2 (and I'm sure the same is true for the Elan two seater) lends itself very well to pulling exhaust gases back towards the car....

Best of luck,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm

The windows on my S3 are so slow that I rarely put them down while travelling top down, and I don't remember ever noticing any fumes drafting back into the cabin. I don't do much highway driving, so maybe speed could be a factor?
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: