Only 10 months till summer....

PostPost by: davidfost » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:32 pm

.... as we get it in October these days. A few pics of my 4 day, entirely top-down, trip to Wales in Oct 08. Sorry about the corny Elan Valley shot. PS I do know the wheels should be silver, but I prefer black! The whole car was originally white anyway. PPS 5000 miles in 2008, no breakdowns. 2007 was significantly different....
Attachments
DSC_0118.JPG and
DSC_0113.JPG and
DSC_0086.JPG and
davidfost
New-tral

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 pm

David,

Spectacular photos. Your car looks like a piece of red candy.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ill_will » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Awesome car, and Wales looking as beautiful as ever too. Black wheels are the way to go - I totally agree. (26R 4-spokes in matt black are the ultimate though!)

will
ill_will
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidfost » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks for your generous comments! BTW, for those with easy access to Wales (sorry Frank) the centre shot is overlooking Clywedog Reservoir, on the B4518. This road was designed with Elans in mind, hills, constant radius corners, short straights, not much traffic, no sheep (can be an issue on Welsh mountain roads). Enjoy!
davidfost
New-tral

PostPost by: kieran9990 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Very nice Elan there.

Mine will loook that good one day !
kieran9990
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: dmreeceuk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:42 am

David

I was reminiscing about my old elan FWU 900J and how life (and cars) have changed with two toddlers! And I spot some fantastic pictures of my old car. Brought a tear to my eye.
I remember you picking it up from Worcester and phoning me up in the Cotswolds saying its conked out. Not what you want to hear. I was glad when it was only that you knocked my little safety switch on the electric fuel pump.

I see you have made a couple of changes - new mirrors, dash rod - any thing else?

Cheers and it looks great

Dave
dmreeceuk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:17 am

Hi from down under. I wish I could bring my S4 over on my trip to UK next summer, the roads look brilliant for touring with the top down. We also have some awesome roads and scenery down here in Victoria . Ian M
Attachments
p1050431-baldy.jpg and
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 am

Nice car, good roads , where's the pub for grub ?Sadly the first snow hit today and the cars have been put away until mid March :( ..Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 am

LI-599 wrote:Hi from down under. I wish I could bring my S4 over on my trip to UK next summer, the roads look brilliant for touring with the top down. We also have some awesome roads and scenery down here in Victoria . Ian M

Hi Ian
Looks like the Great Alpine Road from the snow gums and snow pole in the background - a great road for an Elan. Summer may actually get underway here soon !!

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 am

Here in the UK, though sunny today, it`s the most depressing time of year so in a couple of weeks we`re driving the Elan down to Portugal and leaving it there for 2 or 3 months. It sounds extravagant but the cost of a flight back is ?24.33 including taxes. That sounds reasonable!
As usual, I`ll be writing up a "report" of the trip which I`ve started:

Over the last few years we`ve become very friendly with a great couple and we really enjoy their company. I`ll call them Eric and Erica to minimize their embarrassment. I have one particular thing in common with Eric; we both think Erica is absolutely smashing. A measure of her infinite patience is that she still hasn`t plunged a knife between Eric`s shoulder blades??yet.
They`re doing the Safari Rally in Southern Africa next May. It`s evidently quite arduous with some longish distances and sometimes rough roads. The organisers recommend, for example, steel wheels that can be bashed straight when buckled and 6 ply van tyres, so that gives an idea of what to expect. Rather than take a treasured car they already own they decided to buy a car specifically for this event and prepare it accordingly. Something sporty with an easily raised or lowered soft top, a good sized boot, space behind the seats, easy access and comfy seats, decent ground clearance and so on. I went with Eric to look at a couple of options and there in a corner was just the ticket and only recently restored to better than new. With the addition of a roll cage, sump guard and other bits and, most importantly, attention to the notoriously inadequate cooling, it was ready.

What is it, have you guessed? well I`ll offer a ray of light, it`s named after an animal indigenous to India not Africa. No, a cobra isn`t an animal but you`re sort of on the right track. Like all just completed restorations, there`s always some niggles to sort out and there were quite a few, then some more, but a plan was hatched to drive to Portugal and back for a pre-Africa shakedown. Would we like to join them on the trip in our Elan? Leaving on the 29th November and flying back a couple of weeks later then flying back out in the New Year to drive back, given the ?24.33 cost of the flight I didn`t need any persuading. Strangely, weirdly, downright bizarrely, my wife, did. I`ll call her Carole to maximise her embarrassment . A seemingly endless procession of rainy days in October, innumerable brownie points expended by me, and years of good behaviour promised, she finally capitulated to the offer of a free glass of Champagne from Eric on the ferry. How fickle. There`s a word for people who change their minds; ?women?..........
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Sunbeam Tiger? 1st choice as sporty

or

Suzuki Rhino not really sporty but can be a soft top (and yes i know Rhino are also found in Africa but indian Rhinos are not)
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerGB_UK » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:11 am

I bought FWU 900J in 1978 had a serious accident in it early 1980, sold it to Derek Deane in Ruislip April 1980 with wrecked front end for ?300 ............................ Still have some pictures and documents somewhere !!
RogerGB_UK
New-tral

PostPost by: RichC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm

DVLA says it hasn't been taxed since 2009... :(
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: