lotus vs. tvr

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:06 pm

I have recently purchased a 1968 TVR Vixen for restoration. It shares some components with the Elan. Trans, engine block, steering column, and I am sure some other.

Anyone have experience with a TVR restoration?

Bob
1969 Elan +2
1968 TVR Vixen S2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Not much experience with TVRs.

BUT, we sometimes have TVRs on our Lotus runs and they, especially the newre ones, can really move :shock:

Beautiful too!

Good luck with the resto.

Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Oohhhh, I would LOVE a Vixen!

If it wasn't for Junior, I would swap my +2S for a '60s Vixen, at least for a little while. They look beautiful. :D

As regards *modern* TVR vs Lotus, I think the Lotus is an enjoyable drive while the TVR tries to kill you. ;)

Seriously, driving my Elan down to the Le Mans Classic this year, came upon a TVR in many pieces all over the French motorway, whole club pulled up, lady having her head bandaged, nasty. :( As I understand it, they're too light and have too much torque. It was a damp day, so the guy probably just got a bit over-enthusiastic on the throttle changing lanes, next thing you know, you're backwards! 911s do the same thing, but at least they're made of metal!!!
Greg
+2S 130/5 Elan <== FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested...
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 pm

The vixens are a nice car not as compliant on the suspension as the elan but nice to have both not sure where you are located but a chap called Ian Bannister in the TVRCC is the man to talk to Manchester area he prepared & sprinted a nice yellow example with a 1700 engine which was very quick. As for the later cars i have a sprint & a Griff 500 in performance terms the 500 is much quicker but down a bumpy B road the elan soaks up the bumps better. Obviously with 300lb/ft of torque you do not floor the throttle in second in the wet but they are not anywhere as bad as people lead you to believe. Again you really need both.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Cottage Classics had a load of molds and new a fair bit before he went solely Ginetta........just checked and the link sends you to:

http://www.cottageclassics.co.uk/

and a TVR address.

Paul
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Sometimes even TVRs don't satisy the urge for power...

Classic Le Mans 2004.. Scary trip!

Jeremy
Attachments
TVR NOS.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 pm

I had a 69 vixen in the late 70's for a short period of time. mechanically they are simple you should not find it a challenge if you have done a lotus. There is one potential sink hole of time and money - The vixen had the frame bonded into the fiberglass , so rust detection fixing etc is a #$&^*.

Have fun its on a short list of cars I would like to revisit with more funds than I had as a teen.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:32 pm

greg.harvey wrote:As I understand it, they're too light and have too much torque. It was a damp day, so the guy probably just got a bit over-enthusiastic on the throttle changing lanes, next thing you know, you're backwards! 911s do the same thing, but at least they're made of metal!!!

As I used to have a 911 (964 RS) I would just like to say that they don't do the same thing. Due to the engine being at the back they have superior traction under acceleration. It is the lift off oversteer that comes as a surprise :shock: You had better be quick with the opposite lock. Never ever ever lift off the gas in a corner. The Elan is the sweetest hadling car I have ever driven 8)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:41 pm

My vixen S2 has a bolt on body. The tube chassis will take some work. The restoration expenses should be considerable less than my +2.

I need new wire wheels. YR-4 I believe. And hubs

The car has the crossflow Cortina push rod engine. I doubt if those 88 horsepower will scare me. Unless I am merging into traffic.

Of course I am keeping the +2 contrary to my recent decision to sell it. My wife thought me crazy after all the time I spent rstoring it.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:55 pm

steveww wrote:As I used to have a 911 (964 RS) I would just like to say that they don't do the same thing. Due to the engine being at the back they have superior traction under acceleration. It is the lift off oversteer that comes as a surprise :shock: You had better be quick with the opposite lock. Never ever ever lift off the gas in a corner.

Haha, makes sense. I should clarify - the 911 has an equal reputation to the TVR for ending up in a hedge bottom. I think it was Clarkson who said he salutes whenever he sees a 911 go past ... "There goes a brave man!" ;)

I would actually quite like an early 911, but after talking to a guy down at the garage who has an early '80s one I concluded I can't afford to run one. :(
Greg
+2S 130/5 Elan <== FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested...
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:22 am

greg.harvey wrote:
I would actually quite like an early 911, but after talking to a guy down at the garage who has an early '80s one I concluded I can't afford to run one. :(

Been there done that :? Early 911 are great cars but quite complex so not easy for DIY maintenance. Mine cost a lot to run in tyres, servicing and insurance. I try not to think about it now but I had always wanted one and I am glad I owned one once in my life.

Having said that, of all the toys I have had the Elan has been with me the longest. I am still not bored of driving it :)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: