couple of questions

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi Guys,
Now that my car is almost ready for use I have a couple of questions.. :?

What is the best bet on electronic ignition systems? Full replacm'nt dizzy?? Or, something like Luminition? Bear in mind I am trying to maintain STD look, so something like the Aldon (?) ??.. Anyone with exp' of any of these, good or bad? I am all ears :lol:

Electric cooling fan control:- I am running a fairly cool 76 deg' 'stat, so I don't think the std 'Otter' fitted to the rad' will do the job as it 'switches' at near on boiling point. It allows the system to get fairly hot b4 switching on the fan, and I don't want a manual switch in the car. I would prefer a good accurate and reliable fan control unit that I can fit and forget.

Any preferences guys? Tell it like it is and keep me right here. I have seen a choice of efc's on Moss europes' web site and some advice would be helpfull b4 I launch off and buy.

Thanks..

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

alex,FWIW, i fitted a manual switch in the car...it really is the most reliable and simple way to accomplish proper cooling with an electric fan.
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Alex, I used to run the Kenlowe witches hat thermostat control with all the capilleray tube gubbins as well, but really, thought it a bit messy. When it came to rebuild time I had a threaded insert welded into the rad and that gave me the choice of a load of modern controllers.

http://partfinder.smpeurope.com/index.h ... 9&value=42

here's the thread size and temperature range list:

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-ThermData.asp

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=26360

- near the bottom

Hope this is of some help

Paul
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:42 am

Aldon distributor and Pacet fan with capillary thermostatic switch in top hose. Both work perfectly in my car (1968 S3 Coupe). The 'stat can be neatly installed on the radiator mounting plate and the capillary neatly coiled.

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Alex

I bought a standard thermostatic switch from an auto factors shop. They showed me their book which listed many different types with the switching temperature and thread form. I picked the most appropriate one and made a fitting from copper pipe with a suitably threaded boss on the side that I used to connect the cut in half top hose.

It has worked perfectly for the last 9 years. I can't rember what temperature I chose but it cuts in when the water temp guage is just above the halfway mark.

I can post picture if it would help.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Alex, you're going to hate this suggestion, but......if you want to include a discrete manual switch, one trick that has been done before is to change the usage of the "panel" instrument light switch, to operate the cooling fan instead.

Probably means dash out (again) of course......I believe there was a very old thread on this but a forum search on the archives may yield fruit.

Richard
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Very many thanks guys. All good points and will help on the decisions to be made. I want to keep the std fan, so I will only need a controller for it.
My thoughts at the moment are to go with the split the top hose n fit electronic unit as what lots of the race day guys are using. Foolproof and V reliable I am told. So looks like that route on this item. I think... Well Maybe.. Perhaps.. :lol:

Aldon igniter sound fav' with coil to match for the ign system.

I have another project to give me more space in my Garage. A ramp! I have loads of height so a ramp is going in. This will give great access for work and allows me to put the Lotus up top and the wee BM (Z4) under it.

Only need a cover over the bm's hood to catch all the 'stuff' falling out / off the Elan. (at the moment completly oil tight etc, but for how long? )

Great fun this.... :lol:

Alex B.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Just a thought.. What happens to the rev counter when you fit electonic sparks?
Whats the best for least hassle??

AB........ 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:44 pm

electronic ignition generally leads to the rev counter giong a bit crazy!
Mine caught fire!
Some just stop working, some wave around wildly!
My solution was to graft the insides of a more modern rev counter into the body of the old counter...
Otherwise there are companies that'll do the conversion for you for a price!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:11 pm

I thought it might be a bit of hassle..

Thanks Tim. I will check with the ign' kit supplier/manufacturer..

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am

Hi
Tacho fine with Aldon - have one on +ve earth S1 and one on -ve earth S3, all well.
JK
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Brill, Thanks again guys. Looks like the aldon is the way to go. Neat n tidy, invisible, works. What more could one ask?

EErmm... :roll: :roll:

Only kidding... 8) 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: