Latest Pics of my '72 Sprint

PostPost by: jimbo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:18 pm

All,

I posted some pics of my car when I got it late last year. Here it is again after a good of cleaning session earlier today. It's amazing how well it's come up with just a bit of care, attention and elbow grease ... although to be fair the pictures are a bit flattering.

It's just been fitted with a TTR shocks and springs (front and rear), a TTR front roll bar and a cage. It now drives as well as it looks. If only I could get rid of the pesky hesitation where it 'clears its throat' when pulling away...

James
Attachments
P8230032.JPG and
Flattering. The paint is by no means perfect. Mirco blisters on the wings and bonnet, a few cracks, stars - all the usual stuff really!
P8230041.JPG and
I love this photo! It's pretty arty for me!
P8230020.JPG and
Getting there under the hood. I really must get around to replacing the plug leads so they are a matching set. PO must have been a spend thrift!
P8230042.JPG and
New Saftey Devices cage (fitted by PM along with a full TTR suspension setup).
P8230046.JPG and
Non original dash - fitted several PO's ago during its last rebuild in 1990. I like it (just as well really).
P8230054.JPG and
Is it really that small?
P8230066.JPG and
A young Lotus fan - start 'em young I say!
P8230070.JPG and
Suitable viewing matter for an Elan whilst resting I'd say...
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 am

James,

Your car is without a doubt one of the most beautiful Elans I have ever seen and I have seen quite a few of them. No doubt it's better than it looked when it left the factory!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:07 am

looking good
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:14 am

Frank Howard wrote:James,

Your car is without a doubt one of the most beautiful Elans I have ever seen and I have seen quite a few of them. No doubt it's better than it looked when it left the factory!

Thanks Frank, but the pictures really are very flattering. I think I just caught the light well. The body is very definitely less than perfect in the 'flesh' ... but for some reason the pictures don't show the blemishes at all. I know they are there, but to others I am sure the pics make the car look perfect.

I think you would be a little disappointed if you saw it first hand as it has some very obvious cracks, dings, splits and micro blistering! :shock:

Best viewed from 10 yards or through a lense would be my description!
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:36 am

Hi James .... The Elan does look great ...and with it`s body imperfections ... sounds like it`s one you can really enjoy !

As for that "Pesky Hesitation" .... apart from the obvious plugs , points, leads , ignition timing , carb`s etc ., needing to be in good order ..... I find that , due to not having the 60`s/70`s nectar fuel anymore .... that a substantial increase in the progression ( idle ) jet ( way above original spec` ) , makes a massive difference , when set-up right .

There`s nothing more annoying than , driving a delightfully responsive little Elan , being bogged down on silly progression ... and having to punch your way through it .

Get the right "Progression Jet" ... it`s an easy job ( even a moron like me can do it ; ) .... and You can have a really lovely idle , with super sweet light throttle response and acceleration .

That`s just my experience .... but also , if you are very heavy with the right boot .... it does naturally gulp a lot of air initially down those long inlet tracts on take off ( hence encouraging hesitancy ...despite the accelerator pump assistance) .... so easy ( like everything on the elan ) with the throttle , is all that is required .

Enjoy : ) .

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: zarelan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Jimbo, great pictures. I know what you mean. My car can also look pretty good in photographs, but it does have blemishes, chips and cracks here and there.

I also have the TTR suspension and TTR roll bar fitted in mine so our two cars are remarkably similar, hesitation on initial acceleration included!
Attachments
DSC_0831.jpg and
DSC_0704.jpg and
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 am

Chaps,

Thanks for the feedback. Is it worth looking at additives in addition to playing with the progression jet? I run the car on Super unleaded but have not tried additives.

Zarelan, our cars look like twins. At least they will do when I get around to fitting the side indicators. Any chance you could measure the position of yours so I know where to drill?

Cheers,

James
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:57 pm

jimbo wrote:Zarelan, our cars look like twins. At least they will do when I get around to fitting the side indicators. Any chance you could measure the position of yours so I know where to drill?

Cheers,

James

James,

Just my own personal opinion, I do not like the side repeaters at all. I decided to not to fit them. Spoils the front wing line for me.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:00 am

Hi James .

Yes a fuel additive is definitely good .... and best to stick with it , setting the Car up appropriately .

Today , the regular quick burn 95/97/98 unleaded is , rather weak for an Elan .

Like a lot of people , I use Millers VSP plus , to up the octane by 2 ( & gives valve seat protection if not converted to unleaded ) ... which runs like velvet ...and improves the economy to help offset the cost .

There is also Millers CVL ( plus 3 octane ) but that doesn`t give much protection , if you need it .

Remember , the Elan was designed to fly on 5 star 101 octane .... so , better the fuel better the drive : ) .

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Verve wrote:Hi James .

Yes a fuel additive is definitely good .... and best to stick with it , setting the Car up appropriately .

Today , the regular quick burn 95/97/98 unleaded is , rather weak for an Elan .

Like a lot of people , I use Millers VSP plus , to up the octane by 2 ( & gives valve seat protection if not converted to unleaded ) ... which runs like velvet ...and improves the economy to help offset the cost .

There is also Millers CVL ( plus 3 octane ) but that doesn`t give much protection , if you need it .

Remember , the Elan was designed to fly on 5 star 101 octane .... so , better the fuel better the drive : ) .

Cheers ,

Paul .

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I will get some Miller and give it a go!

Having said that, I drove the car again today and problem is not actually on the initial pick up. It's between 2000 and 2500 rpm right at the point where the car gives a loud WHHHAAAARRRPPP.

Below that point the car is very smooth, and the same at over 2500 rpm. If you are really light on the throttle you can 'stroke' it through without it coughing, but any kind of moderate throttle opening produces a hiccup/cough that clears as the revs rise.

I guess it could be the cam profile? Or is it a case of "they all do that sir"?

Cheers,

James
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 pm

dougweall wrote:James,

Just my own personal opinion, I do not like the side repeaters at all. I decided to not to fit them. Spoils the front wing line for me.

Doug.

Hi Doug,

I hear what you are saying and I agree in terms of looks, but I drive on Dual Carriageways a lot so I think side repeators are a wise option. I'd rather have an Elan with ugly indicators than have someone not realise I am pulling out.

Cheers,

James
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 pm

zarelan wrote:Jimbo, great pictures. I know what you mean. My car can also look pretty good in photographs, but it does have blemishes, chips and cracks here and there.

I also have the TTR suspension and TTR roll bar fitted in mine so our two cars are remarkably similar, hesitation on initial acceleration included!

Zarelan,

You've got my four year old telling everyone that his dad's "little red sportscar" has a brother or sister, as he's seen it on the Internet. Perhaps we should arrange a 'family' reunion? :wink:

James
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am

Hi James .

As for the coughing , it could be several things .... but definitely shouldn`t do that , if everything is O.K .

I should systematically work through the basics and go through everything ... treat it to the new leads , plugs , points etc., doing one job at a time .

Make sure valve clearances , Carb`s and ignition timing etc is good for "Your car" ( static timing may not be as the manual anymore ) ... then You can tune it .

It shouldn`t be the cams , if they are regular sprint ones .... and the fact You can stroke through it , suggests a weak/blocked progression is also playing it`s part ( it can affect up the rev` range higher than you think when under load ) , as you are compensating by stroking the accelerator jets .

It`s probably a combination of "off Tuneness" .... but can be corrected ... and then You`ll think you are in a different Car and will never want to part with it ; ) .

If you do ... let me know !

Good Luck ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

James - Very nice car I have a bahama yellow (acquired taste) and have all TTR suspension fitted. One thing I noticed that is the same as mine is the SD roll cage but no foam or head restraints. A scrutineer told me that if I drove this on the road without a helmet and got in an accident the impact of my head on the steel roll cage would kill me or a passenger instantly. I have a little one and got the Safety Devices padding. I notice on the later roll cages they now have a fixing for a head pad.
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:25 pm

All these beautiful cars....and mines still a bitsa. To help me along my way can one of you guys with an original Sprint post a few photographs of the engine bay so that i can see where all the gubbins goes, like wiring, hoses, relays, vac pipes, oil pressure tap off etc :? etc. I'm just about to get the body back and drop it on :lol: so will be hanging the bits on soon.
Thanks a bunch
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: