renovate or replace????

PostPost by: johnhjnr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:05 pm

3 weeks in from purchasing first elan and still grinning ear to ear!!!!!!!

I am considering buying "new" pattern wheels (knock on 4.5j steels) but could renovate mine.

new set of four is approx. ?500, cost to renovate my five is ?200.

mine are in "used" condition but are straight. any ideas what they might be worth "as they are" if sold on ebay for example.

also are there any negatives to using the "new" (i think they were reissuied by Weller Wheels) type.

regards john

ps thanks for replies on my first post
johnhjnr
New-tral

PostPost by: bill308 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 pm

John,

Alloy wheels are a much better choice as they are stronger and dimensionally truer.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 am

The original steel wheels were also prone to stress cracks radiating from the triangular holes (stylized Lotus Logo). The pin holes may be somewhat oval from inadequate tightening. Me I would go with a nice set of period alloys, like the mini-light type, forgoing that then the replacement steel wheels. This from someone who did restore his original wheels. I just know more now.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 am

Hi

For what it's worth- after 28 years ownership I eventually gave up on the original rims (they'd never hold their balance for too long) and fitted genuine Minilites.

No more balance issues and (on mine at least) they appear to have all but eliminated driveline "harshness" (damping effect of thicker alloy?).

Only problem- the 3 eared spinners sat very close to the rim centres so I opted for new octagon spinners to avoid hammer damage.

Incidentally mine are 5 inch rims with the std 155/80/13 tyres stretched across which stiffens the sidewalls a bit.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:32 am

If your originals are true, without oval peg holes, I would get them refurbished to start with and see how you get on. They would probably reach ?30 or ?40 each in original condition...if they are good to start with.

The 'repro' originals are a little heavier, and I seem to remember a thread a year or so back about someone having problems fitting them...something to do with the peg holes not lining up with the pegs?! So if you don't like the refurbished originals, go for Minilites as John suggests. They look almost as good :D

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Panasport 5Js
http://www.rdent.com/pages/panasport.html
Gordon
[/url]
1972 LHD Sprint 5 Cabriolet - sold!
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 am

Personally I refurbished mine.
I was just trying to keep mine fairly standard.
Also, as someone said, the reproduction ones are a bit heavier - probably a good thing for strength but not very "Lotus".
My mantra was always that I could just replace things, but if it was safe etc then I would try and keep as many original parts as I could
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TRACKMEISTER » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:46 pm

I have some new minilites on my S4, the nuts minilite sent didnt fit (oddly) but otherwise they are fine
TRACKMEISTER
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: