Poll: Favorite Safety Mods

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue May 06, 2008 5:32 pm

zarelan wrote:The roll-over bar gives you the perfect location for a high level brake light, anybody with a bar should really consider fitting one.

The other safety mod that I fitted to the roll bar is the padded head restraints. The keep your head straight and reduce the risk of whiplash. You don't want your head to hit the hard bar behind you either.

I'm researching the high-level brake light. I'm looking at LED bars that will fit on the back edge of the bar rather than below it, without fouling the ragtop when it's up.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the restraints look as if they might be bolt-on pieces rather than welded to the bar, and have a degree of fore-and-aft adjustability. Can these be purchased? Didn't find anything during a quick Web search.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Paint the car Yellow!
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gwnorth68 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:49 am

I was always a little edgy about the vulnerability of the gas tank to a rear end collision (even by a bicycle!). Installed an 8 gallon ATL fuel cell without much effort in the same spot as the original. Cost about $400. Will provide details if anyone interested.
gwnorth68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 am

gwnorth wrote:I was always a little edgy about the vulnerability of the gas tank to a rear end collision (even by a bicycle!). Installed an 8 gallon ATL fuel cell without much effort in the same spot as the original. Cost about $400. Will provide details if anyone interested.

I am interested, please post up some photos, model of ATL etc.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 am

have not seem this mentioned yet - make sure the car stops straight and quickly

Brakes - run the bigger calipers, 2 circuits with bias or proportioning for the rear

make sure the rear does not jack under breaking. have the car set up on scales and make sure the wheel/tires are pointed in the right direction.

Its been a few years since I drove an elan on the street but I always use to make sure I made eye contact with every driver I approached who was potentially a threat -

ATL fuel cell for $400 that's a screaming deal if its a aramid bladder with a can.....
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 pm

A fire extinguisher. At least big enough to put yourself out.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu May 08, 2008 11:40 pm

steveww wrote:
gwnorth wrote:I was always a little edgy about the vulnerability of the gas tank to a rear end collision (even by a bicycle!). Installed an 8 gallon ATL fuel cell without much effort in the same spot as the original. Cost about $400. Will provide details if anyone interested.

This is the Fuel Safe cell that I have been using for about 12 years. It has the same dimensions as the stock tank.
Attachments
cell1.jpg and
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri May 09, 2008 4:22 pm

billwill wrote:Paint the car Yellow!

Sounds a good Idea! I would agree, but listen to this. I had a plus two that was that Lotus banana yellow. After some weekend maintenance in my work mates barn he was following me back home and ran into the back of me at a road juction. I had been a couple of mile ahead of him and waiting at the juction for the traffic to clear for 2 minutes. He drove all the way up and into me without seeing the car. Day light, dry and a nice clear day.

Story gets better. He was driving my own works car at the time. Try explaining that to your MD.

He wrote the plus two off!

PS he was not wearing his glasses that he should have been. Not a joke.
I saw him a month later at the Cinema. Big big f**k off wide screen job and he had his glasses on leaning foward sqwinting. My wife had to restrain me.

Mike :evil:
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 pm

I guess no realisable number of safety mods will protect against the ultimate idiot.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri May 09, 2008 7:54 pm

elancoupe wrote:
steveww wrote:

This is the Fuel Safe cell that I have been using for about 12 years. It has the same dimensions as the stock tank.

Nice tank! and the fuel gauge is in a sensible place where it can't leak too.

What's the little yellow knob for?

How do these things work?
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri May 09, 2008 9:06 pm

="billwill
What's the little yellow knob for?

It's a plastic plug to cover the fuel vent outlet . The smaller blue plug is for the fuel line itself.:D

They work well, you can invert the tank and the flapper inside prevents fuel from coming out the neck.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Sat May 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Guess u guys don't drive fast enough - I never have anybody behind me! :twisted:
Gordon
1972 LHD Sprint 5 Cabriolet - sold!
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

freddy22112211 wrote: - I never have anybody behind me! :twisted:
Gordon

All the backmarkers over here say that! :wink:
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Sun May 11, 2008 4:15 am

elancoupe wrote:
freddy22112211 wrote: - I never have anybody behind me! :twisted:
Gordon

All the backmarkers over here say that! :wink:

After a recent drive in the Colorado mountains with a 220 hp Caterham and a very nice Miata, I now, lovingly, refer to my Elan as the "Slotus."

Thanks for all the great responses.

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: