ELAN VALUES 103

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:30 am

We recently had a topic about an S2 that was "sold" as an S1 and a half.

Can someone explain

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 98920&rd=1

the Sprint that doesn't sell for nearly ten grand less?

Neophyte Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:45 am

Maybe a world economy thing-toy cars are pretty low on the shopping list.

There again -its not advertised as "the best Sprint on the planet" :wink:
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 pm

I know that Elan prices are nudging up, but I'll offer as someone who is in the market for a basic Just2 driver that this car seems to be priced at an opening that's in the high range for its representation.

If it were near me I might take a look, but it isn't billed as a showroom car. For example, if he wanted top dollar, he wouldn't force the new owner to source the needed new top. My advice to this seller would be to use the reserve for what it's for and allow bidders to decide for themselves where to start. This person may think he's doing people a favor by opening at his floor price, but he's actually discouraging bidders, and will probably get less for the car as a result (if his price is met at all). This is the most common eBay mistake I see, and it's completely avoidable by thinking for more than 10 seconds before you list the auction about how people engage in impulse purchases (which virtually all Lotus deals are.)

You never have to sell something for less than your reserve. So why create a barrier to bidding by setting a high opening bid? It makes no business sense whatsoever. Auctions are all about thinking you might walk away with a great deal. Don't kill that thinking and your auction will be more successful.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:54 am

I think you're absolutely right and I've been big time guilty of what you say when I've listed some cars for sale on eBay. Who know's where it will go if two people decide they want it.
Next time, low opening with reserve.
I have started some of my no reserve car auctions at the minimum price I'd sell the car for, and then, one bid, someone gets a great deal...
Thank You for the suggestions.
All that said,,,, with what's been happening lately with the dollar, I'm surprised no one bid on the Sprint.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: