New Elan FHC in Melbourne Australia

PostPost by: europatek » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi there. I?m new to the website so thought I?d add a few photos of my newly acquired S4 Elan FHC, black badge model (not sure whether this provides any bragging rights?). I purchased it last November in the UK and shipped it to Melbourne, Australia. First registered Oct 68 it has only had couple of owners. Resprayed and sympathetically restored in the mid to late 80?s it still looks sharp and drives well. It had an unleaded head conversion in 1999 and has done about 1000miles since!
Unfortunatley I haven?t spent too much time driving or working on it as I am currently living and working in Sweden and thus it sits in storage awaiting my return. There are a few small jobs to do for roadworthy and the tappets need to be reset. I plan on a thorough inspection, service and detail plus a few subtle upgrades and improvements where needed. I'm thinking, GAZ shocks, solid drivesahft conversion, maybe a 5 speed (type 9 Sierra) and door skin/fitment rectification. And of course I plan to drive it!
Attachments
IMGP8201-2.JPG and
IMGP8200-2.JPG and
IMGP8204-2.JPG and
europatek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Nice Coupe, interesting that its an S4 with the early S3 air flow extractors in the B posts. This its just another case of learning something new on this forum.
Does anyone else have or has seen this combination before?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 pm

Air vents look like the same as my 69 S4 FHC. Build date was Oct 68.
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:53 am

Great to have another FHC in melbourne. Whats your chassis number it should be close to mine which is 36/8555. If you need any help on getting tihngs done in melbourne with your Elan let me know. I presume you have joined the local lotus club.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:57 am

Gary

As discussed in another thread recently I think this combination of S$ with the early vent style went until 69 or 70. The newer style vents where introduced on the plus 2 in 1968 but it appears the Elan did not change for a while - probably until stocks ran out of the old vent and they had a chance to change the body moulds and use up bodies already made in stock.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: europatek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Rohan,

I agree. It is good to have another FHC in the club and yes I am a member of LCV. I joined in 1997. At that time I owned an S2 Europa that I had rebuilt/tuned/re-engineered. I?m looking forward to getting stuck into the Elan and thanks for the offer of help. I was lucky as the car came with quite a lot of history, the factory workshop manual, hasn't been messed around with and is complete. For the period 1985 thru 2000 it recieved alot of love and attention with servicing and improvements undertaken at Morland Jones in London. From 2000 (in the hands of another keeper in Ireland) until when I bought it, it was hardly used. For memory the chassis number is 36/8229.

Regards,
Matt King.
europatek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Matt - now I know who Europatek is

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear