New Web Site www.lotuselansprint.com

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:07 pm

As some of you will be aware, I have been putting together a web site dedicated to the Sprint. It is now live and you can view it at:

www.lotuselansprint.com

The site is intended as a source of information on the original and contemporary Sprint and I have thus avoided any reference to modification or restoration. As my home page indicates, I am keen to receive any and all additional information that adds to our knowledge and there is a feedback form on the site.

I would also appreciate any comments that listers may have with regard to the overall layout and content. I still need to upload some links to road test articles (which I have).

I hope this adds to our knowledge base on these damn fine cars!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 pm

Layout looks great, Tim, and the content seems nicely balanced and well written.

It would be nice if you can keep on developing it, even if there is some overlap of information with this site.

Keep up the good work!
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Great site Tim, and hopefully an inspiriation for others to contribute to your site and build on the information you have put together to make the definitive knowledge base on the Sprint.

Well done. Worth dropping a line to Club Lotus etc. methinks.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:20 am

Tim

Quite agree with the other comments - the site is well laid out and easy to navigate - and very informative! Will be a useful reference site.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:50 am

Agree with all of the above - I found your site a really useful source of info when buying my Sprint and it's now a fixture on my favourites list.

Thanks for taking the time to create it.
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:36 am

Great site, I've sent details of my car. :P
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Tim.
Job well done on your site dedicated to the sprint. Really nice job and I enjoyed my first visit. I will be going back numerous times Im sure.

Please advise as to how fellow elan sprint owners can contribute to the vin number list.

I noticed that your listing for federal FHC Sprints stops at 0050.
I own a federal sprint coupe that ends in 0068. It was manufactured in December of 71 and subsequently titled a 72.
I would be happy to add it to your list
David
72 elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Tim, I really like your site. Easy to navigate; tons of info. Is there going to be a registry of Sprints? I noticed there is a login with your name as the default. Will we be able to login for.....some purpose?
Keep up the great work.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Thank you for your replies and kind comments.

Greg
At this stage I am not going to put together a public registry. I keep a private one of Sprints I get to know about. Not all owners would be happy to see me publicise those details! Besides, I set out to base the site on the contemporary Sprint, as it left the factory. That is why I have produced the list of VINs on the Unit Numbers page (see the link at the bottom).

The login is for me to change and update the site. Not sure there is any reason for anyone else to login though! It came with the web site service I am using.

David
Sprint owners can advise me of their cars details easily through the Feedback page, or you can PM me through this site.

0050J is the first Federal FHC I know of and yours the last!

Thanks also to those of you who have been kind enough to send me VIN details, engine numbers and original paint codes, I appreciate the information.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: arendjankleijn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Tim,

As you know now there is a FHC Federal Sprint in Holland, 0027J! Can anybody tell me how much horsepower the Federal Sprint had??
Mine is now without the piping from inlet manifold to exhaust, and a 4-
branch exhaust manifold is fitted as well as a "normal" Stromberg inlet manofold. But I'am sure it has not the 126 BHP as the Weber version is rated for! Is there an easy way to get about 10 - 15 BHP more? Skimming the head by 040"?

Regards, Arend Jan
arendjankleijn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 am

AJ

Your Federal FHC is the only J type S4/Sprint I know of and may well have been a development car.

Most road tests of Federal Sprints quote the 113 BHP net that is listed in the Workshop Manual.

There are better qualified people than me who can answer your question on increasing your horsepower. You might like to get hold of Miles Wilkins' book on the "Lotus Twin Cam Engine". It has been discussed recently on the forum.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:59 pm

:D great site. Enjoyed reading the link to the fun car interview, especially the words about future of sportscars - "they will build cars like tanks for the benefit of safety". >Worth reading and you will feel much safer in your tiny cars.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Andy Graham, who has taken over as the archivist at the factory, has been very helpful in providing me with all the information he has on domestic Sprints from the data he has at the factory.

I have thus been able to update the list of Sprint VINs on the web site to include the original colour codes and engine numbers of all E & G designated cars from unit numbers 0500 onwards. Records for earlier unit numbers are not available.

I would be grateful for any additional VIN information Sprint owners can send me as we attempt to produce the definitive list of all Sprints as they left the factory. Thank you to all who have so far contacted me.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: