New car arriving

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi All,
Big step forward this weekend. Body is now in position ''Hovering'' on 4 axle stands and nicly in position ready for final inspection, positioning and lowering onto chassis. I am going to now finish some bits n bobs in the boot area etc, double up some of the earth con,s with a ring main type arrangement and perhaps some of the underfelt might even get stuck in.

Seats are away for stripping down and I pick up the frames next weekend for repair and powdercoating prior to refoaming and refitting the original (good condition) upholstry.. I think... Final decision later on that.

No steps back this report. Apart from some toe-rag busting into my Toyota and swiping my laptop at about 3 am this morning :evil:

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 am

I don't remember exactly how I supported the body after all this time (30 years), but I do recall that rather than lowering the body onto the chassis, I jacked the chassis up into the body.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:30 am

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx

This is Brians link from another thread to Microsoft Image resizer.
It works great!
Lets see some snaps :D
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for that. I have downloaded it and I will give it a go. My son is a bit of a 'puter person but is on holiday at the mo'

I am working on it :?

I have lowered the car body down a bit after making sure perfect alignment. Next step might well be to jack the chassis up into place then axle stands under the hubs with a bit of foam or whatever to protect the threads. Kill two birds with the one stone etc as I will need it up on stands for a while yet :)

Keep you posted.

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:36 pm

Next wee update...... :)

I took the bull by the b***s and went fot it. Lowered the body a little at a time and it dropped perfectly into place. I have now bolted it up after carefully shimming and adjusting, leaving all the fastners slack at first then tightning the underside ones 1st, then the two on the heater bracket / mount, then the under bonnet 2 into the front susp' turrets. The two on the rack mounts were next, then the rear turret / crossmember followed by the rear most ones last. No crunching or drawing up just nice tight fastners.

Braw..... :D :D

Tomorrow will be the hood tray and hood frame which is back from powdercoating and looks great.

Looking good now.... 8) I will get some pic's up as soon as I can. Plan is to put up the entire file into some file host for your enjoyment.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Alex,

You said the quality of the body is excellent etc. Since there are no pics, my question is how is the door fit?

How is it dealing with Option 1? Can you recommend them?
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Alex.

We can realy not wait any longer for your pictures, please post them.

You can easily make a public album at Picasa Webalbum, it is a free Google service. All you have to do is do is follow this link http://picasa.google.com/
and download the Picasa program, it is also a good and easy organicer of your pictures, and you can share your pictures with us by uploading your pictures to the Picasa Webalbum.

Then it will look some thing like this, witch shows my engine rebild:

http://picasaweb.google.dk/jannik.sadol ... gineRebild

Regards
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi All,
I,m away from home at the moment and using a laptop I'm not used to etc. I am so sorry about not getting some pics up for you all and I will do so as soon as poss. The problem is the size of the pic files which I kept big for detail purposes. I now need a bit of help to resize them and at the same time keep the originals big for my own use. My son is the 'puter man and when he returns home this trip (he works offshore for Shell expo) he has promised to do this for me. Putting up a fileshare into one of the suggested sites might be an option. Bear with me. I will get this sorted soon.

Option 1 ... Super to deal with, did exactly as they said they would,
and the quality of the work is perfect. I can't fault it. Door fit is spot on which I will endevour to show in the pics

Once again.... stay tuned and I will get some pics softed out asap.

AlexB 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Don't know if this was suggested already...

Alex, one quick trick to "re-size" the photos is to email them to yourself. Outlook will come up with an option to shrink the resolution of the pics. As you are emailing them to yourself, they save a a separate file from the originals within your inbox. You can rename them when you save them to your folder for permanent storage or put them in a separate folder called like "re-sized pics".

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 am

alexblack13 wrote: Option 1 ... Super to deal with, did exactly as they said they would,
and the quality of the work is perfect. I can't fault it. Door fit is spot on which I will endevour to show in the pics

Did they work on the door fit? I mean was the door fit spot one before or did they "cut and shut" to make the doors fit?
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:11 pm

Yes they fitted the doors to the seals 1st then made to door skin fir the body etc.

Bang on....

alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 pm

At last... A few pics for your perusal (Thanks again Mark) I will get some more resized as soon as Mark has time to help again.

Wee update.. I have started bleeding the hydraulics. The car now has a clutch again. Both cyl's were refurbedand look as new. I filled the brake master cyl'and pumped some fluid up through the system using my one man non return valve thingie and got a bit of a pedal. Left it overnight for the fluid to settle down.

Lots to do yet but its coming on. :)

Cheers all

Alex B 8)
Attachments
1.jpg and
Body lifted off the chassis, which waits below
2.jpg and
The mess below.. still mot'd till June
3.jpg and
Body at option 1 workshop in Bromsgrove.
4.jpg and
The chasis near finished
5.jpg and
'' Keek a bo'' But still on my trolly
Anyone need to borrrow it??
6.jpg and
Engine is in.
7.jpg and
Body back on.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Really, really terrific.

Is it lagoon blue the shade that you've selected ?
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:35 pm

It is lagoon blue Richard. Thanks for the kind words. :shock:

I have now discovered how to resize :D

So standby for loads of pics Hopefully from the begining

Alex 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:31 am

Alex

It looks like you have done a wonderful job on your Sprint and well done - keep it up!

I look forward to seeing the finished article. Bet you can't wait to have that first drive in your 'new' car.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: