Hey Hey Jao 952l Drives Again.......

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:27 pm

After at least 12 years JAO 952L drove out of my garage and down the close, back again, TWICE! :P

However, the circlip came off the clutch slave cylinder, the ignition warning light is still on and one of the heater hoses has a split. Never mind.

However, does the dash have to come off to replace these hoses?

I have replaced the control box and when do the generator check I get up to 29 volts any ideas?

an almost very happy Elan driver!!

Cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri May 13, 2005 12:35 am

YIKES! 29 volts! The maximum I believe is 14 -15 volts. I guess you did not turn on the radio or lights.

As my Elan does not have a heater (I am in Florida) I cannot tell you if the dash must come off.

Congrats on JAO 952L seeing pavement again.

My Elan was off the road for 15 years, I'm sure I could feel it smiling the first time it went around the block under it's own power.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Fri May 13, 2005 1:33 am

It seems that a lot of Elans are returning to the road this Spring! I am putting together an Elan that has been off the road since ?88 and the dash is out. Just spent today refurbishing the heater - cleaning out the debris, painting, replacing the foam, etc. If the dash must come out or not may be mostly dependent upon your ability as a contortionist. I don't think I could have replaced the hoses without the dash being out, but I do think my 25 year old son could have.
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri May 13, 2005 7:01 am

It may be possible to replace the hoses without removing the dash but with difficulty, I never tried it but what I once did was to join another hose near the bulkhead with a tube slipped inside the hose to a new piece,the front piece had been rubbing on something, cant remember what now. This fix is obviously no good if the rest of the hose is defective.
The overcharging has got to be the regulator, as disscussed on other threads....Junk the generator and fit an alternator.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:12 pm

I was able to replace both heater hoses with the dash in. The rh side was fairly easy but the lh side required removing the radio delete plate (if you have a radio, sorry) and accessing the hose clamp from there with a long screwdriver.

Hope its the rh one that's split ;)

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Hey Mark,
If you are determined to keep that antiquated generator :blink: (thats only good for old Ford tractors and Mini's with wind up windows) ....oh and maybe Elans with push up windows here's a link that may help you set the regulator.
<a href='http://www.ponypics.com/spitfire/regulator.html' target='_blank'>http://www.ponypics.com/spitfire/regulator.html</a>
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Fri May 13, 2005 6:51 pm

Glad the car is running. I smiled from ear to ear when mine did the same two years ago. Maybe I am the only person in the world who is happy with my generator. Yes - I've had BOTH an old Austin Healey 3000 with one and my new 1966 Ford 3000 deisel tractor with the same one as is on the Lotus (except for a tach drive on the generator!). Both worked beautifully for years once they were set up. The tractor saw a hall of a lot worse conditions than the cars ever did! It's most likely a regulator problem and these are infinitely adjustable -or- cheap to buy a new one. There's two screws, if I recall, that adjust the cutouts on the coils in the regulator. After you open it up - check for a burned/fused-closed contact on one of the coils in the regulator. Sounds like the cut-out coil is not cutting out! Good luck!
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri May 13, 2005 7:06 pm

No Paul, You're not the only one :)

I have had alternators let me down but never a dynamo/generator. If everything is OK they give years of reliable service and certainly on a standard Elan the output is ample.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri May 13, 2005 7:53 pm

I replaced both hoses with the dash still in, taking out the radio did help with the left hand hose. The right was changed by removing the under dash trim...

It helps if you have small hands...

I still have a dynamo rather than an alternator, it's always been pretty reliable and cheap to replace.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:42 pm

Gents,
THanks for the advice. Hoses replaced. Had to partly remove dash to give access. but this gives enough room.

Cheers
MArk :D
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: