Lotus Elan Shapecraft

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:38 am

...however, 26R-S1-33 is an ex-Ian Walker car - perhaps this is the Italian one??

By the way, Ed, you have something special there whatever it is. I think any Elan fan would be keen to own such an interesting ex-race car... That's why there's so much interest! :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:38 am

Any chance of you posting this 26r info? I am sure it would be of general interest.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:30 pm

the car was here in 1964 and never left the country it was disassembled some time after the last race it participated in in the late 70s or so --uncompetitive or loss of interest I guess ---and sat derelict till I found it through an ad in buy and sell -----the engine was long ago blown up and discarded --there is the c/r gear box --but no residue of red on the body -----I'm puzzled on how you came across such records --Lotus and the new [ old ]Lotus racing team don t have squat in records -- :lol: -but this appears to be a good community project --carry on please --my take on the car is it was an out the back door model to beat the tax man and make a buck for Chapman -as he figured the 2 cars were many miles apart and would never meet -----------I drove it yesterday for a brief time while taking a--[ brake ]-- :wink: from doing the steel hydraulic lines on the dreaded Europa and it was lovely much more panache than anything built in the last 20 years --the 7 is fun but alas is a Caterham T.C. --I imported it in 1984-its lots of fun too but I had to install a removable steering wheel to aid my egress------once this europa is done I plan on a car I have thought about for a few years [time permitting]---------a smart car with a Hyabusa motor so I can go hunting Ferraris and Porsches with a 250 hp phone booth thats quicker than sh#t- off a shovel --just for grins---ed
Attachments
P1010045.JPG and
P1010048.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:03 am

ok......
have read 99% of these posts....
am now confused.....(might be sat night beers...99% possitive)
but where are we now on this discusion????
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:19 am

I still say it is ----some says it ain't --some had a hissy fit and vowed 'never to visit this thread again ----no change ---but now there are alleged 'just discovered records'---so drink more beer come back later it will still be the same :lol: :lol: :roll: ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:41 am

It appears Shapecraft are still around??

http://www.shapecraft.com/

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:05 pm

yep---e mailed them ---if Lotus did not keep records what can I expect from a smaller company ---but I may get lucky -- 8) I know --but the Doubting Tomasses dont ---I know I didn't make the body --I know Willy didn't have the capacity or skill to make the body and it came from England as it was from Lotus ---where else could you buy an ?lan???? :shock: --so Im off to drink some beer-- WTF eh-the best thing Ive heard since this thread started -l- :) --ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:09 pm

theelanman wrote:ok...... where are we now on this discusion????

At THE END :!:

ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:28 pm

ppnelan wrote:
theelanman wrote:ok...... where are we now on this discusion????

At THE END :!:

Hopefully.
btw, a pair of the "chinese eye" glass-fibre surrounds and perspex covers sold on UK e-bay last week; no doubt they will be grafted into an old shell and then....................... :?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:08 am

such a cynic Matthew -- :cry: -ed
Attachments
P7011812.jpg and

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:09 pm

I am another who has followed this thread with great interest. Many years ago I my first experience with Elans was with an (or The) ex Ian Walker Rally Elan. The car was built for Ian Walker by his 'main man' John Pledger who wasn't very forthcoming with details when we asked. Unfortunately I don't remember its chassis number but I was under the impression that only one was made. So I assume that this is the 'English' 33 that Giordanelli drives, since according to a recent Club mag, he got it from a well known Lotus officionado who had bought it some years before from the person who's garage I used to share.
When I had my hands on the car, it had been sat in the garage unloved for some time. It had been used as a road car and had caught fire in the usual place, the driver footbox area. Right hand side, of course. My garage 'sharer' bought it from his friend, the previous owner, who had as far as I know, aquired it from Walkers.
With a bit of help from myself, we repaired the fire damage and prepared the car for the track. The diff cooling was removed (we were only doing ten lappers ) but we left on the hardtop with perspex roof! We think that was for reading road signs at a rather lower level than normal whilst rallying. We also removed a deck above the front grill which had been used for the extra lights. That was VERY ugly! We retained the previous colour which was red. All this was around '74/'75 as I remember.
During scrutineering for its early races we were advised to change the roll hoop as it wasn't full width. In fact, just the same type as show in the photos of the 'US' 33. The headlamp appertures were of the normal type, not 'Chinese'
When it was sold on it it became a pure racer and lost its road identity as the registration was transfered to another road Elan. ( it had he number 26 in it ) which I guess is why the reg. is different on the Giordanelli car.
In the HSCC races of the time there were a number of 26Rs, the Rochas sponsored ones run by Len Streets well known. The Orange job of a certian Aston mad dentist which went to another dentist for whom I spannered. That then went to a certain Tony Thompson. A very original one ( OK, hardly modified, then! ) driven by Tony Steele.
Anyway, because they had become race winers in this era, beating the likes of 23s, they became more valuable so it is no suprise that there are ( at least! ) two 26R 33s...............
Hope this has been of interest. ;-)

Roy,
'65S2
PS, Nothing to do with Shapecraft. Sorry!

elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:16 pm

thanks for the info Roy--[-but its a Canadian 33] in the Colonies you know -- :lol: -----ed
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 pm

The car was built for Ian Walker by his 'main man' John Pledger who wasn't very forthcoming with details when we asked. Unfortunately I don't remember its chassis number but I was under the impression that only one was made. So I assume that this is the 'English' 33 that Giordanelli drives, since according to a recent Club mag, he got it from a well known Lotus officionado who had bought it some years before from the person who's garage I used to share.
When I had my hands on the car, it had been sat in the garage unloved for some time. It had been used as a road car and had caught fire in the usual place, the driver footbox area. Right hand side, of course. My garage 'sharer' bought it from his friend, the previous owner, who had as far as I know, aquired it from Walkers.

This same car, 26r-s2 33, also appears in the May 1985 issue of Classic and Sportscar magazine. At that time it was owned by Malcolm Ricketts, and was red with a white stripe, and is identified as the ex Walker rally car.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:03 pm

Oops, sorry Ed. Canadian 33 it is. ;-)

Seems my memory was playing me tricks yesterday. My mate raced the car from '78 as far as I can tell from race programs and the lights seem to be 'Chinese' afterall.

Yes, he did sell it to Malcolm who reverted to normal headlight cutouts

To get back on topic, Leonard Bridge raced a white Shapecraft in the same era. Well, I'm pretty sure it was one!
Attachments
Copy of new-1.jpg and
Silverstone 78, a round of the Classic Sports Car Championship
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:26 pm

ok Roy lets compare -but im not adding a sun roof --its too hot on the bald spot ---this is the best pic I could get at the drive way G.P. -what do you bet someone Yells PHOTOSHOP????--thanks for the pic ---ed
Attachments
P1010003-1.JPG and

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: