Basic Questions

PostPost by: tbsmith » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:37 am

Hi! I'm a new member and I just got my first Elan (72 Sprint):D

The dashboard switches aren't labeled. It has a Madera dash, but my question is, were the Sprint switches labeled originally? Like the Europa white press on letters perhaps?

Some of the switches don't seem to do anything so I'll need to do some tracing to see what's up.

Also, there are traces of the original green paint on the underside of the bonnet (since been painted over black). Is it common for the underside of the boot and bonnet lids to be painted body color?

Finally, does anyone have a boot lid (bent wire) latching device, or know where I could get one? If I had the dimensions, I could maybe make one out of piano wire.

Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you!
Tom in Houston
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:33 am

tbsmith wrote: were the Sprint switches labeled originally? Like the Europa white press on letters perhaps?
Is it common for the underside of the boot and bonnet lids to be painted body color?
Finally, does anyone have a boot lid (bent wire) latching device, or know where I could get one? If I had the dimensions, I could maybe make one out of piano wire.
Tom in Houston

Welcome Tom, Yes the switches were labled with white letters,may be slighty different to the domistic car if it is a federal spec.
The underside of the bonnet should be black but not sure Mr Chapman would waste money painting in body colour first :lol:
My Sprints underside boot (trunk lid) is body colour but I have seen the black.
Not sure which wire device you are refering to (support wire?) but I a can post pics if required.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks Brian. Yes, my car is a federal spec. I don't know if it will be possible to add lettering without removing the dash but I'll give it a shot. I would prefer to put a clear coat over the lettering afterwards, but would that mean a complete disassembly?

My car has the boot (trunk lid) painted black, but I can see some previous colors underneath. Strange.

Regarding the wire latch, I am referring to the little part that holds the boot lid open. I thought I've seen one in pictures that looked to be bent out of spring wire. Maybe it was a different model??? Was there something else that held up the boot? Also, what do people use to hold up the bonnet, besides an ACBC broomstick?

Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:03 pm

I think to put a clear coat over the letters would involve disasembly, as far as I know all the Elans from S1 to S4 had the same boot lid support (see pic) and the broomstick bonnet support works just fine....easy enough to compleatly remove the bonnet though.
Attachments
boot support.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:16 pm

types26/36/74 wrote:I think to put a clear coat over the letters would involve disasembly, as far as I know all the Elans from S1 to S4 had the same boot lid support (see pic) and the broomstick bonnet support works just fine....easy enough to compleatly remove the bonnet though.

S1 and S2 roadsters are the same and the Coupes and type 45's are similar but somewhat different than the early roadsters.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:36 pm

Thanks for the picture! How well does it work? It looks nice and simple, but maybe not too easy to make if I can't find one.

Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:40 am

They work great, I may have one I can give you if you pay for shipping. Where are you? I've seen them on eBay every once in a while and they bring all of three or four dollars... I'm sure they fit numerous British cars, maybe even Fiats !
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:53 pm

I am in Houston and yes, I'll be glad to pay shipping plus whatever for your trouble :D Please email me offline at tbsmith*pobox.com, replacing the * with @ of course).

Thanks!
Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:37 pm

I think that Susan Miller, here in the UK, has both the sets of labels and the wire thingy (isn't that just one of the most elegant parts of the Elan?) in stock. She is great for supplies of unusual parts.

Can someone help with her e-mail address?

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:07 am

Hi,

"lotuslist"AT"yahoo.co.uk"

or at least it used to be.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:32 pm

The email address in the post above is up to date for Susan Miller.

The "Boot Stay" is listed in Susan Millers catalogue for ?6.46 - one of the cheaper items to replace! I can't see any dashboard lettering in the catalogue but it would be worth enquiring by email.

On the subject of boot colouring - the underside of my 1973 Sprint is body coloured [probably the best paintwork on the car at the moment!]

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks Richard, Stuart, and Pete! I contacted Susan and she will be sending me a catalog as well as prices on a bunch of parts I need.

Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: