Elan S2 Badging

PostPost by: Alpine_Ian » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:49 am

Hi,

I need to drill holes for the badging on my '64 S2. Seem the body work has filled them in and I would like to locate the holes before the body goes back for 2K primer and paint.

Could someone be so kind as to make a template for me? I will need the locations of the lotus badge on the fron nose, the Elan S2 badges on the sides and the Lotus Elan S2 badges at the rear. I think a paper template located from a static corner or edge would work fine. Thanks!

Let me know if you can help and I will email you my address.

Ian
Alpine_Ian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Ian, I can't help with a template as I have not got access to my car it at the moment but I had the same problem with no other S2 around, I managed to find the correct place by looking on the inside of the panals, the holes which had been filled were visable from the inside.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:58 pm

I would agree to Brian - the nose badge is bolted through the fibre glass,
the Lotus Elan S2 on boot back is drilled through and visible from inside - just the side badges on the front door surround might not show inside due to heavy fibre glass layup... that is as is with my S2 on one side.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Alpine_Ian » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Ok, I'll check it out. The nose of my Elan had been damaged and my body man did extensive repair work to get it fixed right. I don't know if I will see any holes there or not. How many inches up from the nose of the car is the badge on center without the front bumper in place?
Alpine_Ian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi Ian

I usually grind glass and fill most of the holes on my cars as almost all of the pot metel is pock marked with corrosion. It just makes it easier in the long run if you decide not to replace it. On the S2 there arer 3 sets of Lotus and 3 Elan and only one S2 and the nose badge. On my S2 I have the rear letters and the nose badge which is 6 inches from the front edge of the body and 9 inches from the bonnet opening.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alpine_Ian » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:46 pm

OK... thanks Gary.
Alpine_Ian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Alpine_Ian » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:03 pm

I've got all the badges now drilled and located. Thanks for the help guys!

I was able to locate some of the original holes by looking on the back side of the body while holding a light up to the body from the outside. Once I located a few original holes the rest was easy.

Now my body is ready to go back the the paint shop for 2K primer and paint. Should be in color this fall and ready to assemble next spring. Won't be long now.

I'm still struggeling with final color. This car was French Blue from the factory, and not sure if I want to keep that color or not. I actually think it would look great, but I already have other LBC's that are light blue and I'm getting tired of it.

Can anyone tell me what color this is? Is it a factory color?
Alpine_Ian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:01 pm

Ian, that car was rebuilt in S.Africa see this thread:
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13526
I think it is an early British Racing Green although there is confusion what BRG is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green
I did my hardtop in a BRG which was a BMC (Layland) colour
Attachments
with hard top 2.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alpine_Ian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks. I like that color of BRG. Not too dark. My gut keep telling me to paint the car the original French Blue, but I really want to paint it another Lotus color that I like better. I'm undecided on Lotus Yellow or BRG with French Blue still popping back in the mix from time to time. I'm at the point where I have only a few more weeks before I will be painting the car and need to make a final decision and stick with it.

I'm such a detail maniac and I hate to brake away from the factory color. Many of you out there have told me in the past that it's my car and to paint it the way I want to. I understand and appriciate that, but I still can't help not being true to the car and it's original state of build.

I think correct factory color options for a 64 S2 are: French Blue, Lotus Yellow, BRG, Cirrus White, Royal Blue, and Carnival Red. Is that correct?
Alpine_Ian
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: