Documented Factory History

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:41 am

Is there a source for matching engine numbers with vehicle serial numbers?
I'm also wondering about factory paint procedure, sealer, primer? One coat or two?
Was there ever a fire at the factory paint shop, giving private paint shops the opportunity to paint new Elan shells in the late 60's?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:07 am

We do have a historian in our midsts I believe, ha confirmed my 1600 and S2"s projects numbers and colours, and they matched the invoice for my 1600.

Perhaps he will log on.

Fires in the factory and outside paint works I don't know about.

Bill - 26/0538
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:36 am

Try the factory, they were helpful when I had questions about my car. I wrote to a Mr. Maurice Storey in the Archive Department, although that was a few years ago so I don't know if he will still be there.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mickrick » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:24 pm

I believe Maurice Storey retired in June 2002. The guy who took over as Lotus Archivist (and was still there in Jan 03) is Stuart Brett at Lotus Cars.

Mick
mickrick
New-tral

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:04 am

My '71 Elan Sprint FHC, which I purchased in 1987, has an unoriginal non-factory paint color. When putting a new headliner on this coupe a few years back, I found that someone at the factory had hand-written the word "red" on the underside of the roof, apparently done at the factory during assembly. (I've found similar handwritten notations on the back of my wooden dash.) If I peel back the rubber trim at various spots, I do see evidence of the former red paint. If you've got a coupe, take a peek to see if your original color is noted there.
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sotul86 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:14 am

Hi

You should email mr [email protected] it take some days then you get som info about Your car.

If You got the right engine, what color and dealer ....

I got my body number stamped in the roof (fhc)

So I even could see that it had its original bodywork its should be stamped/written on all doors and bonnet aswell

Cheers Johan

www.fullspeed.to/lotuselan
Johan
sotul86
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:49 pm

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL, I love this forum. I've received additional emails and information answering my questions about the serial numbers and paint schemes, but I'm still wondering about paint shop fire stories. Has anyone any information on this? ...around 1968?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: