Health & Safety question

PostPost by: Chris-72-Sprint » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Alot of the advice I have read seems to indicate I should sand down my paintwork by hand (lots of hours) and grind out any gelcoat cracks for repairs

Sanding dry also seems to be recommended

My question is....... are their any H&S issues sanding the paint/gelcoat grinding (1972 vintage) :?: or is it just sensible precautions like using a mask (from B&Q)

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks as always

James
Chris-72-Sprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:49 pm

I'd recommend you get a good dust mask (one with proper filters attached to a mask, not just the paper type) and some goggles. It's not good to inhale fibreglass/paint dust.

If you have lots of layers of paint/primer/filler to remove the sharp chisel (and/or the type of scraper that uses a stanley knife blade) does work well - see the other postings on this...

Good luck!

C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue May 01, 2007 12:37 am

it is my opinion that there is no better finish than that from the factory ---I have always fine wet sanded the body filled the stars with resin sanded and sent out for paint --stripping {unless there is structual damge ] is futile and more damage will be done to the fiber by your actions than if it is left alone or handled by experts --nomex on ---ed
Attachments
P1010050.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Tue May 01, 2007 8:09 pm

Craig Elliott wrote:It's not good to inhale fibreglass/paint dust.

That's me buggered then !!! :shock:
All sanded by hand with no mask !!
But I did use a mask when grinding fibreglass. :D
Attachments
Ready for spray filler.jpg and
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue May 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Scrape the paint, I used various chisels for this, very sharp!! Goggles are essential as the flakes go every where at high velocity, I have ground into the gel coat and repaired surface cracks with resin and fibre glass tissue. major damage like splits have been repaired with resin and glass fibre matt.

If the panels are crack free, then I'd sand back the paint to the factory polyester layer and use that as a base. Wear a decent mask (he says fag in one hand!!).

I've been advised to dry sand the car untill the primer is on it, then wet flat.

Mines almost ready to go for primer/top coat!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Wed May 09, 2007 2:46 am

Miles Wilkins has a very good book on repairing fiberglass. Same person who wrote the book on the twin cam engine. Out of print but still available.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: