custards us cousin

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:05 pm

Gordon,
thought you might get a kick out of this pic...im still trying to find out if this is the last federalised sprint coupe made...wont really make nay difference but would be fun to know...im not planning to sell it....the other photo is a pick of the interior...it is a signature wheel...just cant see it from the angle I shot the picture...thru the webasto sunroof...anyhow enjoy .....
David
Attachments
3_lotus_pics_022.jpg and
3_lotus_pics_019.jpg and
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 pm

Very nice David. A distinctive Federalized version with side repeaters on the flanks fore and aft, Hexegan wheel spinners and those bullet mirrows. I would think that the burred walnut dash was an aftermarket fitment by the restorer. Original equipment was straight grain but I know a lot of people on our side of the pond who have fitted burred walnut as a personal preferance. Let me have the unit number and I'll make enquiries.

Gordon
Attachments
EMA web.jpg and
EMA & Jo at Wyreside Hall Classic Car Show. Jo won a bottle of Champers for Mary Quant fancy dress.
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:10 pm

Gordon,
Good to here from you and glad you enjoyed the photos.

The plate number is 7112290068J.

Engine # is T25465

Trw99 and gary anderson ? (elan in the forest) have been a big help in confirming info , and in the course of that discussion someone mentioned that the last federalized coupe number was 0068 (trw99 i think said it)....
its not make or break fo me, but would nonetheless be interesting....wont stop me from driving it every chance i get
Good to see the photo of the car and your wife hope all is well..
David
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:11 pm

gordonlund wrote:A distinctive Federalized version with side repeaters on the flanks fore and aft

Gordon,

Not sure if those are repeaters. I think they're side marker lights. In other words, they come on with the tail lights and do not flash at all. Beautiful car though. Looks great without the wipers!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:25 pm

David

As far as I am aware, yours is the last VIN number for a J type Sprint. However, the last K type, Federal DHC that I know of was built in Aug 1972, nine months after yours, so there may be some more Federal FHCs out there that we don't know about! Either way, fewer Federal FHCs were built by Lotus than any other Sprint type, so they are rare beasts.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 pm

David,
I just picked up on the no wipers. Doesn't it rain over there??

The information you are looking for may be in Paul Robinshaw and Christopher Ross's book Elan & +2 1962 - 1974, published by Motor Racing Publications. It is the definitive reference book for all things Elan and I have mislaid my copy. Afraid it's out of print.

You could always write to Lotus Cars Ltd at Hethal Norwich England. They sent me a photocopy of the relevant page of the magic book when I made enquiries about Rhubarb. That was some years ago and they may not be quite so obliging now. Worth a try though. My +2 shipping imfo was a garage and not a famous person to my disapointment, but who it was ordered for I never found out.

Have a look at my book, Lotus Elan A Restoration Guide published by Brooklands books. If you can't get it over there, contact me through the other strands on this web and I'll send you a signed copy.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Gordon,
Thanks for the offer but I already bought your book and rang the cash register for you...very nice of you to offer though...

Gordon, Tim, thanks for the posts and information....im still amazed at how great this site is....thanks, jeff cocking for the web hosting...im off for a drive...they just paved a two mile stretch of smooth blacktop near me and the lotus (and me) are ready for a go at it....enjoy
David
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi David,

Nice to know you have my book. I have just removed the cam cover on Rhubarb tonight and fitted a new gasket and half moons. It had a little oil leak in the middle of the cam cover which was annoying me. Now we are all ready for France in two weeks time. We did 2,500 miles last year on our hols (vacation) in France and we are hoping for the same again this year

Like yourself, we shall be taking the +2 for a blat over the weekend to give it a good shake down. The weather here in England is variable to say the least. One minute we have glorious sunshine and the next minute it rains and then forgets to stop. If we have two weeks without rain we have a hose pipe ban!!! Still, forcast is good for the weekend so off to the coast.

All the best

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: