How much shall I spend getting my Sprint back on the road?!

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm

wellll------- dull paint 'a '---take some tooth paste and rub a small area and see just how shiney it gets ----smells good too and theres no need to floss --- ed
Attachments
P1010007.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bruss » Mon May 07, 2007 6:17 pm

mm Allow a heck a of a lot more than you expect. I'm in the middle of a rebuild and have just bought the red half of the paint - 240.00 pounds! Incidentally anyone know the correct code for the gold on the bumpers of the sprint?
Attachments
STP60098a.JPG and
68 plus 2 and 77? dhc - I'll take you out for a spin,- as soon as Ive got it working properly:-)
bruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm

<<Have>>"

Hmmm ..............

Excuse the schoolboy humour, but is this a Lotus 'issue' ?

Surely Colin would have advocated a good session more than at least once a month .......... ?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon May 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Geeezzz ---better call Colgate to put on a few more shifts to make that shine ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bruss » Mon May 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Here's one I did earlier :lol:
Attachments
europaf.JPG and
68 plus 2 and 77? dhc - I'll take you out for a spin,- as soon as Ive got it working properly:-)
bruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Tue May 08, 2007 8:21 am

I have started spending! ?8 for a set of spanners and Allen keys at the Gawsworth autojumble yesterday.

My wife is getting quite keen on the project - we went on honeymoon in the Lotus in 1983 and she said at the weekend "wouldn't it be nice to get the Elan back on the road in time for our Silver Wedding anniversary next year?" I can't argue with that!

Have got the car up and wheels off, carbs out, rad out and steering rack out. All fairly easy so far - all the Coppereze, Hammerite and Waxoyl applied 20 yrs ago was a good investment at the time.

Thanks for the toothpaste tip - I will try it but think my paintwork is beyond much hope. [see pics on my later posting "Elan out of hibernation"]

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Wed May 09, 2007 2:06 am

If your clutch is stuck to the flywheel what you do is start the car in neutral and warm it up. Then shut off. Select appropiate gear, if pointing downhill 2nd is a good idea. If you have to get it out of the garage I would pick reverse, stop shut off, select 2, etc. And then with no one about and an eye out for the local constabulary restart and you are on your way! The idea is to drive around with the clutch depressed, gently jabbing at the gas and letting off until the clutch frees itself from its rust bond to the flywheel. (For this to work clutch arm must be working properly) It usually does not take very long, and as soon as it frees up you will grin from ear to ear. Do not run into anything while doing this. I usually select a sunday morning about 5 am when no one else is around.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: