Just maybe...

PostPost by: khamai » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:51 am

I just maybe thinking about selling one of my Elans... a 1964/65 S1.5 car that is very very original. Some interesting details - original grey interior, seats, console, door panels, mats, with white door inserts. Triple tail lights, smaller front calipers from S1 and original oval pipe exhaust system. Bolt on steel wheels with original hub caps.

So, what do you think it's worth?

I'll keep my restored S2 and I'm toying with getting a '62 Elite.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Attachments
khamai[1].jpg and
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:00 am

When you say very very original... is it a 64 or 65? I don't recall Lotus making an S 1.5. Is it a factory original grey interior with white inserts?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:14 am

khamai wrote:

So, what do you think it's worth?

One million dollars

:twisted:
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:29 am

1964 S1 wrote:When you say very very original... is it a 64 or 65? I don't recall Lotus making an S 1.5. Is it a factory original grey interior with white inserts?

Built in '64. Titled in California as a 1965. Interior is original from the factory (unusual).

And... per Morgan (Mopho)... I guess everything costs more in California - gas, homes and Elans!!!!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:18 am

You have an original S1.625 with factory original grey and white interior? Has anyone heard of anything but black for S1 interiors? S2? S3? S4? Isuzus?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:02 am

Kiyoshi
Original S1s and S2s are highly prized over this side of the pond and in Japan. Yours is even more interesting if it's the switchover from S1 to S2. I have a very late S2.1, with some S3 bits in it, and used to have an S3 minus 0.1, with some s2 bits in it!

I have only ever seen one other S1 / 2 with a grey interior, and that was 15 years ago and a 7000 miles from new car, with the original owner. So there may be a couple of others, but not many.

With the current exchange rates, it may be worth considering an advert on UK eBay. It is used by Elan nuts aroud Europe, Japan and Australia / NZ and the US as one of the main places to buy Elans and bits. Shipping from California is very easy and cheap (probably about $1800 to Europe for an Elan). If you could get a wrtten condition report from Mr Bean so much the better...that would remove any doubts from bidders overseas.

Original condition non-restored (or sympathetically restored) S1 / S2 just never come on the market here...they are snapped up by friends of friends before the owner has finished his 'I'm thinking of selling the....' sentence. As one price indication, Paul Matty has a restored S2 currently for about $40,000. Selling privately, you would have to take maybe $6000 to $8000 off that figure of course. It is a very good car, but a restoration rather than original. But you can never tell with an auction; if 2 people get excited with it, they are going to have to wait a long time before another comes up and may be willing to pay a premium.

Can't blame you for wanting an Elite, but letting go of that car will be difficult, I'm sure. And I've got a sneaking feeling that Elite values are pretty static, whilst S1s in particular, seem to keep going up.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Mark,
Thanks for the kind reply and suggestions. I should clarify that the car is badged as an S2 with a full width dash. However it is mechanically a late S1. Currently around 75K original miles. Only mechanical restoration has been done - engine refresh, new suspension bushings, rebuilt brakes w/ S/S lines, rebuilt masters, etc. Oh... it has a Grey hood to match!

Our good Mr Bean is familiar with the car. :-)

Yes, it will be hard to let this one go. But, with the restoration done on my S2 and this Elite floating around it just seems like it would be even better to have an Elite in the garage along with the Elan, 41 & Elise.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: