Things to keep me off from driving...

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:49 pm

:roll: ...the oil pump has no suction - even with filter off.
I should mention I was putting the car down a few month ago - it had full oil pressure then. Restart and very low pressure (under 5psi could!).
New oil in sump (dipstick on "full"), filter prefilled - cranking on starter with plugs out and - nothing. took the gauge line from oil galerie - nothing.
Spunn the oilfilter off to see anything (pressure valve etc.) no green stuff in the pump(apart from filter threads). cranked without filter - no oil from pump! The pick up pipe wasn't loose as far as I could guess from tipping at the trumpet from the sump drain hole. (Mk I engine)

I read the threads about all this in the archive.

PS: the car looks nice from the underside but I'd preferrably be seeing the "user interface"... :shock:

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:03 pm

Anna
Just a thought (and others are welcome to help me out here) but if left stood for a while the oil could of drained out of the pump to such an extent that it is now trying to pump (suck?) air and not oil,how would it work as an air pump?,would it be worthwhile considering priming the pump via one of the oil gallery openings...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:28 pm

as I already had the pump cover plate off, I thought of vaseline in the rotor, as suggested. I am a bit afraid to pump oil back the gauge galerie as small bits of dirt from the "dead end" might be pressed back to main bearing supply...

Maybe I have to follow the RTV on the pickup pipe grid route. I will try to build an external engine oil supply via clean ezibleed cannister filled with oil to be pressed via oil filter central attachment bolt up to galerie.

I must take pictures from the car from below...

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: