Can anyone...

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:46 pm

....................... lend me a rear hub extractor for bolt on wheels? I will gladly pay a deposit and even pay to rent. Else where can I get one from?

cheers
Mark

ps only need it in about 5 weeks or so
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: surveyor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:21 am

Mark,

Try Christopher Neil. They sell a really simple puller at ?12+VAT.

Remove the wheel, remove hub-nut, insert the puller into the hub centre adjusting centre screw if necessary to ensure it stands proud of the threads, refit the spinner & hand-tighten-up, then a couple of taps with the hammer to tighten spinner further and off pops the hub.

Usually!

dennis
surveyor
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: surveyor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:24 am

Mark,

Oops - no spinner with bolt-ons? :oops:

dennis
surveyor
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JKING » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:43 pm

Mark
I had trouble finding a puller for my bolt-on wheels a couple of months ago so I made a simple one that worked very well. It popped my hubs off easy as you please and they had been in place for over forty years. Yes I know, I should have replaced the bearings long before this but they were OK.
I made the puller out of a scrap piece of 1/2" steel plate in which I drilled four 1/2" holes 2.65" apart in a pattern to match the hub studs. I knocked the studs out of the hubs and inserted 1/2" - 20 - grade 8 bolts 4" long in the hub and plate holes. Then, with the plate centered on the stub axle, I torqued nuts down on the bolts evenly, smacking the center of the plate with a hammer between each swing of the wrench and at somewhere around 25 or 30 lb ft of torque, the hubs popped off. Niether the hubs or the plate showed any distortion.
If you like, I could e-mail you a drawing of it if you send me your e-mail address.
John
63 Elan 260146
JKING
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for your help. I have a drawing of an extractor tool in the Buckland book so unless anything crops up I'll get one made silmilar.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: