Lotus logo

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:43 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do the letters on the Lotus Logo stand for?? two C's an A and B, Anthony Colin Chapman?? whats the B for?

I was thinking of inlaying the glove box lid with the Lotus logo which started me of on this question.

Tony w
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Bruce
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Of course,

Thanks.

Tony w
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:09 pm

should be read....
Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman
:D
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Have a look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Lotus- ... dZViewItem

You can remove them if you change your mind :D
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:36 am

Tonyw wrote:I was thinking of inlaying the glove box lid with the Lotus logo which started me of on this question.

Tony w

Tony,
If you undertake this project, please post pictures and details! I've had the same thought - if I make another dash. The fact that I know squat about inlaying does not deter me.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:31 am

Gent's,

The idea I had given that my dash veneer is totally useless was to use the egsisting dash ply and re-apply some new veneer, then I saw a program on TV which showed some one inlaying a different wood veneer by way of a pattern, hence the thought if I can get some walnut burl or such like for the main dash then why not get a piece of say Beech and inlay the Lotus logo in Beech on the glove box lid.

Now I have never done anything like this before but what the heck, how hard can it be, patience, accuracy and some sharp tools??

I am currently stripping of all the paint on the body, once I have done this I then need to get the doors to fit. After that I am going to have a go at the dash, I will post some photo's
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 am

Tony
I hate giving personal opinions,as they're personal,but I think your idea is a little poo,by all means re-veneer your dash and glovebox lid,by all means insert Colins logo in the centre of the glovebox lid,but a change of veneer for the lid???
Sorry

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:01 am

Some where I read that the logo was actually supposed to be CC for Colin Chapman and AB for Alan Brothers who started Lotus with Chapman. The Alan Brothers let Colin design the logo and were very upset when they realised it also was Colins full name.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:03 am

Is this a cultural thing? Its not very British to gild the lily like this apart from the custom car movement where the whole effect is non-original.
I'm with John. As someone who is changing my car to Zetec spec, I am thinking hard about what I want to keep and what constitutes the essence of Lotusness that I want to retain. I'm changing many functional parts - even the seats - in almost every case where performance has improved over the last 30-40 years. The dash will remain as original as possible as will the outline of the car - for instance I toyed with using modern electric door mirrors but I'll stick with period ones.
A fascinating topic for those who are not totally wedded to originality.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:34 pm

John,

The lid will have the same veneer but the logo will be cut out and inlaid with a contrasting veneer.

Opinions are just opinions!!

Tony
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Tony
Well that's OK then,I thought you'd re veneer the lid differently,Sorry.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:25 pm

The way most inlay work is done (there's another term for it that escapes my aging mind right now) is to stack the veneer and make a single cut. This way any error is placed on both pieces and they are compatible with each other. It also results in two (or more, if you have a bigger stack) contrasting complete sets.

You will find it very difficult indeed to match detailed cuts from one piece to the next, unless you have fine laser-cutting technology.

Done right, the end product should be quite striking. I may borrow the idea myself. :)
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:12 pm

I like the ide of playing with intarsia, but am not sure if a Art-Deco thing really adds value to a british product from the sixties.
The Art Deco period was earlier, but hey - who am I to judge.

Anyhow, when it's time to cut'n'paste woodchips, I guess the most important thing is to use really sharp tools (surgeons stuff usually is good).

With a litle bit of luck any decent furniture builder can stitch the veneer for you so that you get one big sheet to work with. Then everything gets easier.

Post pics when you start playing with it!

//J
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: