Prices up?

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:48 pm

According to Classic and Sportscar magazine the prices for Elans, especially series 1 & 2 are set to rise. This is due to their continued success in classic motorsport. 8) TTR just sold a fully race ready 26R inc spares for ?115,000 :shock:

So all you racers out there, well done :D Keep winning.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Two Europa TC's just sold on eBay for what I thought were very high prices. One blue metallic with original 4800 miles sold for $16,900 or there abouts. It had all the rubber bits replaces and looked gorgeous.

A second incredible total restoration (polished Strombergs!?) in orange sold for $26,000.

Both cars were quite special, but this is a lot more than any sales I had seen in the past (including my own which I sold on eBay some years ago.)
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:33 pm

With so many plus twos being broken for spares and the Spyder Zetec cars with high build costs, surely the world will wake up and the value of the best 60s/70s Lotus will surely rise!! (its got to be the best one as its an Elan + 25% :lol:)

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:46 am

It is true that the market price for Elans will trend up.

The 26R has been over 100,000 usd for more than a decade now. With only 50+ produced, and less than that surviving, and them being a terror in vintage racing, the price will remain high. Eventually, some owner may becom queasy about racing his 6+ figure car in anger.

But there are interesting segments in the rest of the Elan production. The S1 will appreciate due to its relative rareness. To a limited extent, so will the S2 and the Sprint. The early S3 FHC pre-airflow is another niche car. So is the unknown first 175 or so S4s which came with Webers instead of Strombergs.

Chassis numbers at the start and end of a model run will be more interesting. Proven original cars with a mix of series parts are interesting hybrids.

Although DHCs have held their value better than FHCs, the situation will begin to change due to the relative lack of numbers of the FHC compared with the DHC. And then we have the population of model 36 with convertible tops (chop jobs).

I think we should just enjoy our cars and not worry about where the market may go. Even if every decade we have to put in umpteen dollars to refresh our cars, it is still a less expensive ride than any modern set of wheels, as well as more enjoyable.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:05 am

jeezzz ---Ill sell my 26r cheaper than that ---ed
Attachments
P7270010-4.JPG and
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:25 am

Eventually, some owner may becom queasy about racing his 6+ figure car in anger.

I very much doubt it. There are many cars way more expensive than the 26R that are regularly raced in anger.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:26 pm

I think David is right on. I have seen some nice S4s and S2s go for very high twenties, and the early FHCs that remain unchopped are getting pretty rare.

If one thinks about what drives collector value, it's rariety and historical significance. And, of course, pure fun.

Let's enjoy 'em, and keep them running!
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 pm

K MOIST ---in reply to your email ----yes its real I'm afraid ---the responsibility of owning the car is crushing I'm afraid to drive it on the street and racing it is out of the question for me now ---it started as just a retirement project to prevent the car from falling into some hot roders hands .-----Lotus and casc records confirm what it is .Paul Matty says the body is authentic based on a photo sent to them > I remember the car in my early days of being a fan and a driver -----so I'm sorry to say it is not a 'tarted up' ?lan it really is a 26R -----[sans the alloy bell housing ]---I take it out occasionally on deserted back roads to exercise the car once in awhile .The rest of its life it sits and is waxed and admired --the other cars ]a 7 and a nearly completed Europa take up my time ]-----if some one is interested in buying it they may feel free to make an offer ----ed ------ I apologies for the crass materialist content of this e mail
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: