The Lotus Story

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:30 am

Here's one to get your imagination going.
Will Ron Hickman ever publish a book about the design & development of the Elan?
Will he fill in all the gaps between the lines, ; dot the i's & cross the t's on how things were at Lotus in those early days?
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:48 am

Agreed, It's a major part of Lotus history - plus what Hickman did post Lotus could make interesting reading, whether this would be enough to fill a stand alone Hickman book is debateable though. Even after owning my Elan since 1984 I knew of his involvement with the backbone chassis but never realised how much of the rest of the car was Hickmans work until the last year or so.

Personally I think we need something along the lines of Ortenbergers Elite Book (Coterie Press) detailing absolutely everything on the Elan, history, design, specs etc - what we need though is a good author, i'm sure the demand is there for a 40-50 quid book on the Elan. It had better be better than excelent though - another wimpy, error filled book on the Elan we don't need!
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:08 am

no doubt he'll be at donnington on saturday........he usually goes and we sat and had a chat with him for a couple of hours last year......inluding discussions of the workmate......
cheers
Gareth
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-theelanman+Mar 18 2005, 10:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (theelanman @ Mar 18 2005, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> no doubt he'll be at donnington on saturday........he usually goes and we sat and had a chat with him for a couple of hours last year......inluding discussions of the workmate. [/quote]
Ahh that explains the double take I did on a scruffy guy the year before last - dead ringer for Ron Hickman - It probably was, wish i'd said something now!
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: