performance upgrades

PostPost by: RobCapper » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi,

I'm probably (once again) demonstrating my total lack of mechnical understanding or comprehension, but I was wondering if there are any relitavely low price performance upgrandes that I can do on my +2?

For instance - would a decent k&n airfilter help - instead of the rusting lump that I've got hovering in front of the radiator? Would I notice the difference?

Similarly, if there are any other suggestions, I'd be really grateful - I love the car to bits and do about 15,000 miles a year in it. I just wish it had a bit more 'poke'...!

Rob
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:16 am

Hi Rob

The good news is how much performance increase you can get out of your twin cam is limited only by time and money and your desire or otherwise for originality. Depending on your starting point a 50% power increase is relatively easily if not cheaply achievable.

The bad news is that there is not much you can quickly and cheaply hang on the outside of the engine that will give a real performance increase versus the orginal component working properly. New air filters , eletronic ignition, etc will not give you a signficant HP increase although they may increase reliability and ease of maintenance.

For a real performance increase you need to delve into the innards of the engine and go for new cams, a ported head and big valves, matching exhaust and carb changes, perhaps a big capacity tall block etc. Much of which is discussed in the archives or go and talk to people like Bean in the USA or QED in the UK or Elan Factory in Australia and they will help you understand what to do.

The alternative is drop in a fuel injected Zetec if you are not worried about originality and prefer the challenges of an engine change versus a rebuild.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:17 pm

If what Rohan said has not put you off. Before anything drastic like new cams etc. make sure what you already have is working properly. Give the engine a good tune up.

Compression
cam timing
ignition timing
mixture

If you are putting in super (98 octane) I have found that the ignition will take an extra degree or two over what the manual says.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:06 pm

The biggest bang for the buck I ever installed was a low inertia flywheel.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: